If Calzaghe destroys Kessler...where does this put him in history?

Kforcer

Dragon Slayer
@Gold
Reaction score
What else would Calzaghe have to do to prove he is an all-time great, if he is successful in crushing Kessler? Assuming he was able to do it, it would punctuate a reign of dominance that few others in boxing history have enjoyed. There is a certain stigma to Frank Warren and a WBO championship, not to mention the 168-pound division itself...but it seems that there is little else Calzaghe can do at this point to cement himself. I suppose he could move up in weight...?

Theres no telling. I think Kessler is a great fighter, but were not measuring him against the same quality opposition that James Toney was fighting at 160-168. Were measuring him against a fairly weak supermiddle wight division and that will always play a role when the conversation about Cal or Kessler's place in history comes up. That said, Cal's stock will certainly rise in my book if he beats Kessler. I think Kessler is a little bit better than Cal, but either way, we are going to learn something about each of these fighters over the course of this bout because neither fighter has ever been in so tough.

What can Cal do to increase his place in history? He can fight Winky, Bhop, Kessler, JT(easiest of all), etc. There are fights out there that will lead him down the path to greatness. He's taking the first step with Kessler.

By saying all-time great you're setting the bar pretty high. If you mean all-time greats at 168 (a relatively new and pretty weak division historically) then he is there by beating Kessler. He'll be one of the best at that division even if he retiried.

If you mean all-time great at any weight then I think at his age, with only signature wins over Lacy, Eubank and Kessler he would be a long way from that status. Even with those wins he would have only 44 fights total and he would have never fought against a hall of famer. That makes it awfully tough to compare him to guys who fought 100-200 fights and fought against half a dozen or a dozen fellow hall-of-famers. Fighting all but one fight in Englad also hurts his exposure. Still, I think he makes it into the Hall of Fame, probably even with a loss to Kessler. But I think the term "all time great", which I take as a guy who will be remembered by the average fans 40 years from now (who never saw him fight) is going to elude him even if he goes after the Hopkins/Wright winner and Taylor.

What Hopkins and Taylor wins WOULD is to establish him as one of the greatest fighters of this generation at the 160-176 weights (along with Hopkins and Jones) in the eyes of American fans. He's already at that point with English fans, but he's only fought once outside of England and never outside of Europe which has limited his popularity and credibility in the U.S. If he doesn't fight those guys, he'll probably be (not) remembered the way Darius Mischalczewski is remembered.

i'm going for the guy who didn't fight peter manfredo jr. in his last fight.

Actually, if he beats Kessler, the only real challenges remaining would be Dawson and maybe Bute or Pavlik. No doubt beating Hopkins, Taylor and guys like that would also be good wins. 168 is such a great division right now, from the competetive point of view there are at least 10 opponents he could face.

As a guy with two quality wins.

Kessler is a great fighter and I think it could go either way :icon_twis

I think Joe's chin could be a deciding factor.

Actually, if he beats Kessler, the only real challenges remaining would be Dawson and maybe Bute or Pavlik. No doubt beating Hopkins, Taylor and guys like that would also be good wins. 168 is such a great division right now, from the competetive point of view there are at least 10 opponents he could face.

Joe is planning to go into light heavy if he beats Kessler

Joe Calzaghe says his unification bout with Mikkel Kessler on 3 November will be his last at super middleweight.
The 35-year-old WBO title holder says beating Kessler, the Danish WBA and WBC champion, would leave the Welshman without further challenges at 168lbs.

"This will be my last fight at super middleweight," Calzaghe told BBC Wales.

"Win against Kessler and I'd have all the belts and I'd have beaten the best fighter out there, so what else could I achieve at super middleweight?"

Victory against Kessler, in his prime at 28 and like Calzaghe undefeated, is by no means a certainty.

But the Newbridge southpaw has no doubt he will emerge victorious, secure his place among the finest light middleweights in boxing history and then go hunting the likes of Bernard Hopkins at light heavy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/6897616.stm

I think Calzaghe could beat everyone there is to beat and people would still find excuses to explain how he won like Lacy was overrated and if he beats Kessler people will find another excuse. I basically think Joe can't win with a lot of people.

I think Calzaghe could beat everyone there is to beat and people would still find excuses to explain how he won like Lacy was overrated and if he beats Kessler people will find another excuse. I basically think Joe can't win with a lot of people.

That's OK. With some people he can't lose either.

Strait off the bat, I would discount the weight division and the letters associated with his title.
Both weight division and titles have become irrelevant through their proliferation.
What counts is quality of opposition and a fighter

i think this fight is going to put him with a lose at the end of his career. Joe is a great fighter and its too bad we haven't gotten to see that much of him in the states, but klesser is going to be a superstar for the next 5 years after this fight. he rips his opponets with combinations that are so scary it almost looks like a movie.

People will say Kessler was overrated and Calzaghe should stop ducking whichever SMW is popular at the moment.

it's kinda like with Manny Pacquiao he beats so many guys in devastating exciting fights yet there is always an excuse. Someone even said if he beats guzman,marquez,valero,and juan diaz he still does not make there top 100 p4p talk about hatred.

But yet people are willing to let floyd jr slide by pot shotting all day.

it's kinda like with Manny Pacquiao he beats so many guys in devastating exciting fights yet there is always an excuse. Someone even said if he beats guzman,marquez,valero,and juan diaz he still does not make there top 100 p4p talk about hatred.

But yet people are willing to let floyd jr slide by pot shotting all day.

Dude don't ever compare Pacman's body of work with Joe C's ever again because NO...it's not kinda like with Manny Pacquiao.

it will help make him a legend-i think he;s in the elite now anyway..

If he beats Kessler, IMO he would be one of the top fighters of the last 20 years or so. I actually think if he wins, he'll get in to the HOF no problem. If he can beat Kessler and maybe one or two other good fighters ie: BHop, Winky, Dawson or even RJJ and then retire undefeated, he's making a pretty strong case in my book as being a truly great fighter

As a guy with two quality wins.

Hahahaha. So true. Calzaghe has waited too long to step it up. It only took three years to get him to fight Kessler. Calzaghe can be a a member in the hall of time wasters.

Back