If BJ Penn had fought at his real weightclass, he'd have gone undefeated

MescalineDreams

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
all throughout his prime. At least for a long period of time.

WIthout a doubt, Penn is one of the unsung p4p goats.

All while essentially at a fraction of his full potential.

Truly a special talent

Edit: to further clarify, I think his Ideal weight class was 145 pounds. Arguably even 135. He's gotten as low as 150 pounds 1 week from his fights, barely even having to cut weight to make 145 pounds. He's pretty much Dom Cruz sized.

Last edited:
He really was unreal. I remember it well

BJ Penn is overrated.
No, he's underrated if anything.

he's no bigger than an average sized featherweight In the modern era, had he not spent most of his career fighting at welterweight..we'd be seeing him In almost every all time great list.

Had he actually fought at his real weightclass, It's hard to not see him going undefeated throughout his prime. At least for a very very long time.

Only people who think he's underrated are casuals, keyboard warriors and people who don't train or really know anything about MMA.

Last edited:
In his prime, he was the best lightweight for a while but undefeated? I don't think so he woulda ran into someone who could beat him sooner or later, even if he didn't take those GSP fights.

No he wouldn't. He lost to Jens Pulver in his prime and Jens was smaller than him. He was ballsy fighter bigger guys but let's not act like he was taking on bigger guys and winning most of them. He was the best LW at the time but not by a big enough margin to go undefeated. His record's actually not that great.

No he wouldn't. He lost to Jens Pulver in his prime and Jens was smaller than him.
Fair enough, that's one exception you could make. He was pretty green though and to be fair he actually tapped Pulver but they didn't stop it.. lol

edit: Penn wasn't In his prime

Last edited:
In his prime, he was the best lightweight for a while but undefeated? I don't think so he woulda ran into someone who could beat him sooner or later, even if he didn't take those GSP fights.
Maybe.

He would've gone undefeated for a LONG time though. Realistically his actual weightclass Is 145 pounds to be honest, not even lightweight.

No he wouldn't. He lost to Jens Pulver in his prime and Jens was smaller than him.

Neither fight did BJ fight Pulver in his "prime" lol. He was a newbie and green af when he fought Pulver. BJ was in his prime after beating Hughes fighting Machida to a decision, coming back to the ufc and then dominating everyone at LW. Even when he was already (sort of maybe not)leaving his prime he still dominated Pulver at lightweight in their second matchup. Easily finishing him

Uh huh..

If I had only bothered studying for that test I would’ve aced it.

The guy that took his title was smaller than him so this doesn't add up.
BJ is a legend though.

Not sure he was motivated enough to stay consistent for a very long stretch... but yes at his peak he is pretty unstoppable imo.

I remember after the Sherk fight I thought Penn reached an unbeatable level

I thought he was going to beat GSP. Oh well

well ..its one of those coulda shoulda woulda situations. His own stupidity was his undoing..but hey...free will right?
nobody forced him to keep switching around between weight classes...but to be fair he was really good but fairly inconsistent in his performances. Jens pulver beat him fair and square.. he barely inched out a win against matt serra. he would have lost eventually i believe. his streak after sherk was nice but wasnt exactly the cream of the crop either in terms of competition.

all throughout his prime

WIthout a doubt, Penn is one of the unsung p4p goats.

All while essentially at a fraction of his full potential.

Truly a special talent
He fought Pulver at his real weight class and lost. You are delusional <45>

Fair enough, that's one exception you could make. He was pretty green though and to be fair he actually tapped Pulver but they didn't stop it.. lol
He probably was better than Pulver too but people can lose to lesser fighters so "he would have gone undefeated" is a bit lofty. By the time BJ avenged that loss, Jens was already going downhill and was like 1-8 in that stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back