If Barao wasn't knocked down in the first round

It looked like Barao was out cold when he was falling backwards. I didn't see that half-asleep look leave his eyes for the rest of the fight.

I gotta tell ya, I scored that fight for Chael Sonnen. Which is odd, because he wasn't even on the card. Yet somehow I have him winning it. The Gangsta from West Lynn! Still undefeated in the Octagon and the courtroom.

If Barao didn't get punched in the face...

He wasn't the same after? In what way? He was getting beat before, and was getting beat after. Second round was also the closest one. I think it's bullshit. He had a lot of time to recover, and did so, but continued to get outworked. Dillashaw clearly has his number. I think Barao beats anyone not named Dillashaw right now, while Dillashaw gets beat by many of the ranked fighters.

if [insert favorite fighter] wasn't [insert incident that swung momentum] in the [insert round]...

such a stupid thread. Barao couldn't adjust to the feints and movement of TJ. He didn't even move when that overhand landed. if he didn't get dropped in the first, he woulda got dropped in the second.

it wasn't like it was a lucky punch either. TJ was winning before the aformentioned punch. BTW don't downplay it as a knockdown, Barao was dropped unconscious.

A tip to all fans: never waste time talking about "what if's".

He looked a step behind from the start anyway though

Sherdog. Can't say that people are wrong if that is their opinion.

What is the point of this thread besides pretending that this or that never happened?

Reality is Barao got dominated by a better fighter. The loss doesn't take anything away from what Barao has done in his career.

Before this thread I never would have realized that taking damage makes people perform worse. Next thing you know, he'll be saying that if Varner didn't break his ankle he would have performed better, or other crazy things.

The fight may have been different but the fact is that TJ had cracked Barao several times beforehand, its not like it was the first punch that landed.

Went downhill, but it seems TJ was going to give him trouble no matter what.

I'm not sure how much effect in had in the match after he recovered, Barao's best round was arguably the 2nd.

People should read the Jack Slack article on Barao that came out prior to the fight. He made the case - now, clearly proven - that Renan had a relatively weak overall boxing game that he compensated for with one of the best jabs in the business. And that if a technically skilled boxer could avoid and get around the jab he could dominate Renan.

Barao was not the same fighter after that knock down. Barao didn't recover after that knockdown. TJ hit Barao hard, and look at the way Barao fell, you could tell he couldn't recover after that.

Edit: TJ was winning that fight anyway before Barao got knocked down, but the fight wouldn't be as dominate. TJ looked great tonight. Always needed to get use to a new champion. When Anderson loss.

Well, yeah, I guess TJ wouldn't have kicked his ass so bad if he hadn't started kicking his ass so early.

If [XYZ] had [not] been [abc], s/he would have won.

Back