If a HW missed weight, would it be a catchweight fight or SHW fight?

JoeLogan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or would they just cancel the fight? There's only been one SHW fight in the UFC's history, Josh Barnett-Gan Mcgee (does anyone know where I can watch that fight?), and the last time a HW missed weight in a big organization that I can think of was the Prindle-Santos fight for the Bellator HW tourney final, which they cancelled. With more and more giant HWs that have to cut weight to make the 265 pound limit showing up, it's going to, at some point, become an inevitability that a HW fighter misses weight in the UFC, so would it become a SHW fight, or would contractual things force it to become a catchweight fight, or would the UFC just cancel it cuz' Dana says you aren't allowed to weigh in over 265 if you wanna be in the UFC?

If his opponent granted him the pounds it would be called a catch weight fight at 268 or whatever he could make. A title fight would become a non title fight.

It becomes RW (Rumble Weight).

Same rules as always apply. It is up the state athletic commission to grant a catchweight.

Correct Answer: Why the fuck is there a 265 limit to begin with? Boxing doesn't have one, why should MMA.

Why you even ask? It would be handled the same way as at any other weight class. Ooooo

If an HW miss weight should be forced to fight UberTS

Correct Answer: Why the fuck is there a 265 limit to begin with? Boxing doesn't have one, why should MMA.

Yeah it's stupid. If you're 300+lbs it would likely be more of a hindrance than advantage anyway. Unless your a freak like Brock

I agree with this, specially considering that none of the best HW we have seen is that huge

Fedor
Big Nog
CroCop
JDS
Cain

Even Ubereem is'nt that huge as weight, almost 10 lbs under the limit

So it will not be a problem

And if in 2018 all best are 300 lbs monsters, fine, restore the 265 limit and create a SHW division

And if in 2018 all best are 300 lbs monsters, fine, restore the 265 limit and create a SHW division
Exactly.

And then you have these fuckin morons saying 'MMA needs a cruiserweight division, just like boxing!', without even fucking realizing that the cruiserweight limit in boxing is 200 pounds. Our light heavyweight is fucking cruiserweight.

Because MMA decided to make 265 the cutoff between heavyweight and super heavyweight.

The UFC won't do superheavy weights because Dana seems to think they all look like Esch.

I feel like weight is a bigger deal in grappling than standup which could explain the limit in MMA vs Boxing.

Not disagreeing with you, but has any boxer ever weight in at 265+? Professionally i mean.

Back