Ido Portal and 'Movement'

Frankel

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I truly believe the work that Conor (and Nelson) have done with Ido Portal is going to decide this fight one way or another.

And I do mean, one way or another. There is a chance that Conor is doing something new and that he truly is bringing a new level of style and movement to striking and and new approach; similarly, though, there is also an even chance that all this stuff is just nonsense and the traditional - and HIGHLY respected - way that José Aldo and the team and that gym trains, will completely dominate and embarrass all this new age nonsense.

What do people think? In one way it reminds of when Gracie ruined the bigger guys and we all learned technique > size & power, but in another way I think it could very well be bullshit and not as pioneering as we thought.

Can any of the decent sherdoggers offer their input on their thoughts on Conor and Aldo's different ways of training for this fight? It'll be very, very easy to answer post fight but right now I think it's interesting to look at the entirely different way both guys have not only approached this fight, but MMA in general.

(Also, I know it's a big ask, but can the fanboys and idiots just leave this thread alone? There are some really knowledgeable folk on here that know a lot more than me and it'd be great to hear from them).

FFS this is getting out of hand!!!

This whole "movement" movement was done by Kung Fu and kalaripayattu practioners. They are not doing anything radical or new. They are just incorporating different types of movements that a lot of traditional martial artist used to incorporate.

Also, Conor looked like shit against Mendes. He also had to beg BEG the ref to stand him up when he was getting smashed by a guy with 2 week prep time.

Lost a lot of respect for him when he acted like he beat Mendes easy even though he got tuned up pretty good in the Mendes fight.

This whole "movement" movement was done by Kung Fu and kalaripayattu practioners. They are not doing anything radical or new. They are just incorporating different types of movements that a lot of traditional martial artist used to incorporate.

Also, Conor looked like shit against Mendes. He also had to beg BEG the ref to stand him up when he was getting smashed by a guy with 2 week prep time.

Lost a lot of respect for him when he acted like he beat Mendes easy even though he got tuned up pretty good in the Mendes fight.

Gotten to, bro.

AfroWomanYouMadGIF_zps27dad95b1.gif

Starting from an early age in Traditional Martial Arts I was always obsessed with the physical.

Later on, at 15 I met the Afro-Brazilian Capoeira, a meeting that sent me on a lifetime journey leading to the realization that I don't just love Martial Arts or Strength or this or that, but I am actually obsessed with... Movement.

That epiphany got me to embark on a journey to study from 'Movement Teachers'. After countless searches, I could not find anyone who HONESTLY could represent that title, and believe me, I've searched - around the world.

Shit, I mean, don't pee on my leg and tell me its raining.

All those 'Movement Teachers' were talking about a SPECIFIC discipline - either Dance or the Martial or Fitness but none were actually interested in the bigger picture of movement. They also lacked some basic tools that were not available within their own disciplines to deal with Movement in the highest level.

So, I decided to become that person. How presumptuous, I know, but also how necessary.

“Over the years I've traveled the world both teaching and studying from a variety of teachers: from Osteopaths, Manual Therapists and MD's to Professional Dancers, Yogis, Athletes, Circus Performers and Fighters.”

I tried not neglecting any angle, from nutritional approaches to movement & health to Functional Anatomy & Physiology to methodology of the training process to mental aspects of movement practice and more.

Slowly I started to form a body of knowledge and a point of view on Movement Education, development, cultivation. My workshops became very popular and I found myself traveling everywhere to teach: all of Europe, the Middle East, Russia, Canada, the US, all over Asia and Australia.

I also conducted a yearly event called 'The Movement Camp' - Movers from around the world come together for 7-10 days and learn from a variety of teachers while exchanging and drawing conclusions into their own practice. This event enabled great cross information to flow between fighters, dancers, anatomists, rock climbers, etc. Information that was until that point quite secluded and isolated in those specific disciplines was now shared, tested, discussed.

A small community and a CULTURE started to develop around my ideas but more importantly - around Movement. This website has the intention to provide a portal (Ido's Portal...) for the expansion and communication of YOU - the Culture that gathers around Movement: Movement Culture.

http://www.idoportal.com/ido

Starting from an early age in Traditional Martial Arts I was always obsessed with the physical.

Later on, at 15 I met the Afro-Brazilian Capoeira, a meeting that sent me on a lifetime journey leading to the realization that I don't just love Martial Arts or Strength or this or that, but I am actually obsessed with... Movement.

That epiphany got me to embark on a journey to study from 'Movement Teachers'. After countless searches, I could not find anyone who HONESTLY could represent that title, and believe me, I've searched - around the world.

All those 'Movement Teachers' were talking about a SPECIFIC discipline - either Dance or the Martial or Fitness but none were actually interested in the bigger picture of movement. They also lacked some basic tools that were not available within their own disciplines to deal with Movement in the highest level.

So, I decided to become that person. How presumptuous, I know, but also how necessary.

“Over the years I've traveled the world both teaching and studying from a variety of teachers: from Osteopaths, Manual Therapists and MD's to Professional Dancers, Yogis, Athletes, Circus Performers and Fighters.”

I tried not neglecting any angle, from nutritional approaches to movement & health to Functional Anatomy & Physiology to methodology of the training process to mental aspects of movement practice and more.

Slowly I started to form a body of knowledge and a point of view on Movement Education, development, cultivation. My workshops became very popular and I found myself traveling everywhere to teach: all of Europe, the Middle East, Russia, Canada, the US, all over Asia and Australia.

I also conducted a yearly event called 'The Movement Camp' - Movers from around the world come together for 7-10 days and learn from a variety of teachers while exchanging and drawing conclusions into their own practice. This event enabled great cross information to flow between fighters, dancers, anatomists, rock climbers, etc. Information that was until that point quite secluded and isolated in those specific disciplines was now shared, tested, discussed.

A small community and a CULTURE started to develop around my ideas but more importantly - around Movement. This website has the intention to provide a portal (Ido's Portal...) for the expansion and communication of YOU - the Culture that gathers around Movement: Movement Culture.

barf

dCGKCqa.gif

Conor talks about and does a lot of "movement training" but i've yet to see him use it in his fights.
In the Mendes fight he seemed really stationary with little movement at all.
I really don't see the translation from what he trains in "movement" in to his fights.

I truly believe the work that Conor (and Nelson) have done with Ido Portal is going to be totally fucking neutralized by Also's leg kicks.

If Connor replaced all of his traditional training and went full Ido Portal, that would have a huge impact and be a terrible idea.

As I understand it this is merely a supplementary piece of training which is essentially just trying to improve certain things like balance, coordination, motor control etc. It will have a negligible effect on the fight.

People are acting like Conor has hired him as his striking coach or something.

There's probably something to this but seeing Portal coaching Conor's autograph signing movement, I dunno...

If Connor replaced all of his traditional training and went full Ido Portal, that would have a huge impact and be a terrible idea.

As I understand it this is merely a supplementary piece of training which is essentially just trying to improve certain things like balance, coordination, motor control etc. It will have a negligible effect on the fight.

People are acting like Conor has hired him as his striking coach or something.

It's just weird that this supplementary coach takes more screen time than his actual head coach. It seems like all the embedded are about Conor being a disciple of this great movement dude.

Side note: I am a firm believer that Ido Portal taught him to be more humble. It explains his behavior in the press conference.

Idk but "Ido Portal" sounds like a social area in an mmorpg. Is that is real name?

Okay.

Well... I wasn't meaning to state an opinion either way on the validity of Ido Portal's training/Conor's training/Aldo's training... I was just wanting some worthwhile and if possible intelligent opinions from people who knew more than me.

I guess that was a little much to hope from Sherdog.

Fair enough... probably my mistake.

Actually, i was wrong...

'Haloom' and 'French Canadian' - both you guys offered decent opinions and I thank you for that.

It's normal. When I did junior school freestyle wrestling with ex soviet coaches we were constantly doing "movement" type exercises, countless bear, monkey, crab crawling, forward and back rolls etc. It's very effective. By sixth grade I could spin around on my head like a break dancer. Thanks to my wrestling training it was super easy to me and I didn't see how anyone was impressed/couldn't do it themselves (as a fully grown adult I realise most peoples necks will feel like snapping before they actually are able to spin).

Back