Ideal daily protein intake

FATKID

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I know, I know...ask this in supplement/dieting. I just don't want some know it all whose idea of strength training is the 10 situps and pushups he does before jits class to give me some bad info. Besides, the info I've gotten thus far has been mixed at best. Some say at least 2 grams of complete protein per pound of bodyweight. Some say 1 gram per 2 pounds. Others have been extreme on both ends. I realize my needs will likely differ from another's. However, is there some sort of general rule to go by?

For reference, my training (when not being a lazy ass) usually consists of:

Weights (hard and very heavy) 5 days a week (Mon-Fri)

Striking (tues and fri) 1 hour

Grappling (mon and thurs) 1.5 hours

Sprints (wed and sat)

I am approx 6' and 240 lbs.

Thanks for any help.

Well, all kinds of recommendations regarding protein circles around. This is what I

Just eat right and keep meats and proteins in your regular diet. I don't count grams, I think it's dumb. eat a good diet and your body will recover well and build muscle.

Urban said:
Just eat right and keep meats and proteins in your regular diet. I don't count grams, I think it's dumb. eat a good diet and your body will recover well and build muscle.

I try to do this. Counting grams is too much to bother with.

I just try to eat plenty of turkey and beef after lifting sessions and then mainly chicken the rest of the week.

That and I steer clear of stuff with excessive fat.

Apart from that I'm not too worried about anything.

Holy shit! The only other lifter I've seen that doesnt like to count grams! *blink blink*

here, I'll lay out my personal guidlines for you:
1) 5 servings of fruits and vegies a day. This is very important. If you can't bring yourself to eat that much fruit, make a smoothie for breakfast (mine is about a quart every morning). Buy frozen berries, hit the farmer's market for fresh fruit to freeze or dehydrate, etc.
2) your protein should come primarily from fish and chicken, important in that order. Other good sources allowed in my diet: eggs, cheese, yogurt (toss it in your smoothie), nuts and very limited amounts of beef.
3) no refined sugars or processed foods.
4) protein is important but not the end all be all. Get some post workout (whey is good), and include at least 20g per meal, this isn't precise, it's just gonna get some meat down your gullet. I know big guys that don't eat anywhere near 1g per lb of bodyweight.

and there you have it. if you ate nothing but fruits, veggies, dairy (whole fat), nuts, fish, eggs and chicken, you'd be good to go. Like I said, I don't have anything against beef, but I'd take it in limited amounts. Also, I like fatty foods, so long as your fat isn't coming from hyperproccessed vegetable oils (olive oil is good though) and fried foods the fats you're eating are gonna be ok for you. Oh, and you'll probably notice a lack of grains in my diet, to some them up: oatmeal is good, bread is not so great, and NEVER eat white bread. and this is like the pirate's code, it's more like guidlines really.

Urban seems to have cleared it up pretty well.

If you're eating a healthy diet and not stuffing or starving yourself, then you shouldn't be too worried about the grams per body pound.

Thanks guys. I don't particularly like counting grams either it's just that, from what I've read, too much protein can be detrimental to your digestive system, especially kidneys/liver. I continue to see gains and I feel great, I just didn't want to overdo it. Just for reference, here is what I had today:

Breakfast

4oz egg beaters (24g protein)
1/2 cup unflavored oatmeal
1 medium banana

snack

unsalted peanuts
apple

Lunch

8oz chicken (grilled breast)
salad (spinach, romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, tomato, purple onion, light dressing)
1/2 cup brown rice (boiled, so salt or butter)

Snack

whey protein drink (35 grams protein)
apple

Dinner

6oz Salmon (grilled)
small baked potato (salsa topping)
steamed veggies (brocolli, cauli, carrots)
salad (smaller than lunch, light dressing)

I usually drink about a gallon of distilled water a day

This is pretty typical for me. I think this is sensible and convenient. I wasn't even really considering increasing the protein intake seeing as how my strength gains are good and consistent. As a matter of fact, I don't even usually take in a whey drink. That's just what I happened to have today. I just didn't want to find out 30 years from now that I was really over doing it with protein.

Not bad at all. If you're really a stickler, banannas that are more green then yellow have less sugar but it's not a huge deal since it's natural sugar.

FATKID said:
Thanks guys. I don't particularly like counting grams either it's just that, from what I've read, too much protein can be detrimental to your digestive system, especially kidneys/liver. I continue to see gains and I feel great, I just didn't want to overdo it. Just for reference, here is what I had today:

Breakfast

4oz egg beaters (24g protein)
1/2 cup unflavored oatmeal
1 medium banana

snack

unsalted peanuts
apple

Lunch

8oz chicken (grilled breast)
salad (spinach, romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, tomato, purple onion, light dressing)
1/2 cup brown rice (boiled, so salt or butter)

Snack

whey protein drink (35 grams protein)
apple

Dinner

6oz Salmon (grilled)
small baked potato (salsa topping)
steamed veggies (brocolli, cauli, carrots)
salad (smaller than lunch, light dressing)

This is pretty typical for me. I think this is sensible and convenient. I wasn't even really considering increasing the protein intake seeing as how my strength gains are good and consistent. As a matter of fact, I don't even usually take in a whey drink. That's just what I happened to have today. I just didn't want to find out 30 years from now that I was really over doing it with protein.
Wow, that's quite a small amount of food for a fatty :p

Ok, counting grams of protein EVERYDAY is kinda dumb and over excessive. BUT its good to do ONE thourough (missspelled it?) check of how your diet is composed. So then you have a general idea and dont have to count any grams anymore.. Just good to know that "ok, 4000 kcal is what I need to gain wieght slowly" and so on. And just how big % of what is protein, carbs and fat, cause sometimes you surprise yourself, thinking you ate e.g. a lot of carbs but in reality ate a lot of fat and so forth. And of course, you

I regularly take in 2grams of protein per pound of body weight being that i'm on a serious workout routine and aiming to put on as many pounds as possible over the next 5 months. A great ideal protein shake would be 50 grams of protien, a cup of blended oats, and a table of natural peanut butter. That's what my post workout shake looks like and it's been doin the trick so far...

FATKID said:

I hope you dont since drinking a gallon of distilled water will probably hurt your real bad if you dont add salt. Perhaps you drink mineral water?

Happy Camper said:
I hope you dont since drinking a gallon of distilled water will probably hurt your real bad if you dont add salt. Perhaps you drink mineral water?

Is distilled water bottled water?

LCDforMe said:
Is distilled water bottled water?
No. Distilled water is H2O. Bottled water has minerals. Distilled water is for ironing, purified/spring/bottled water is for drinking. :D

Back