IBJJF belt time confusion.

Dirty Holt

Black Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I was a blue belt for a long time (5 years) because I stopped training gi full time and switched to wrestling. Last years nogi was the first IBJJF tournament I did and was forced to go blue belt. Immediately after the tournament, I was moved up to purple belt.

When I went to sign up for nogi worlds, I only get a blue belt drop down. The rule book says I must be a blue for 2 years, but I am guessing that is from the first time I bought my card. So even though I got a blue belt about 7 years ago, am I fucked? I am a purple and will most likely get moved to brown after this tournament.

If I explain the situation to IBJJF, will they just say tough luck, you cant compete since you got moved up faster than the minimum wait time from the purchase of your card, or do you think they will actually evaluate the situation?

Not sure, but my opinion is they would probably say tough luck .

Yeah, since you've technically only been a blue for one year as far as they're concerned you would have to compete at blue.

You can try to contact them but from my experience they're replies are seriously slow. No harm in trying though.

In the Japan federation we had a situation where the new coach forged the document saying he had been the students instructor for the duration of that students belt level.

It was a kind of obvious lie but a black belt in good standing voiched for the students paperwork so no one blinked.

Not sure if things will work out the same but it doesn't hurt to be optimistic. IMO a big question is how serious is the federation paying its annual membership fee. For example if this is the first card at blue and they have a minim req of 2 years will they make you pay two years worth of fees before you can get the purple? It looks like that's a big deal with black belts and degrees but I don't know about the lower ranks.

That doesn't sound right, because the ibjjf doesn't track blue and purple belts like brown and black, but since you got the card, maybe the date of promotion is wrong or you didn't notify when you got your purple? If you and your instructor notified them you might get it changed. I've sent emails to them twice, once I got a response right away, once never.

LOL I feel bad for the recreational blue belts that are going to attend...

I was a blue belt for a long time (5 years) because I stopped training gi full time and switched to wrestling. Last years nogi was the first IBJJF tournament I did and was forced to go blue belt. Immediately after the tournament, I was moved up to purple belt.

When I went to sign up for nogi worlds, I only get a blue belt drop down. The rule book says I must be a blue for 2 years, but I am guessing that is from the first time I bought my card. So even though I got a blue belt about 7 years ago, am I fucked? I am a purple and will most likely get moved to brown after this tournament.

If I explain the situation to IBJJF, will they just say tough luck, you cant compete since you got moved up faster than the minimum wait time from the purchase of your card, or do you think they will actually evaluate the situation?

well, a nice world champ medall is always nice to have, wreck them all!

then go to the officials and tell them, I told you I was a purple!

I understand the rules... but damn, brah, you're a blue belt? :eek:

You should be fine if you just explain what happened to them.

It's not enforced from when you got your card (at least not in the US). Just don't go from blue to brown in less than 1.5 years. Other than that, you should be fine.

They'd probably listen harder if you got someone who's down with Feitosa to ask for you. Just sayin'.

I think you can email them to change it because I've only seen the rule enforced if you competed white, blue and purple and you don't meet the timeline and even then I've seen people get away with it.

I only competed one time at blue and then purple the next year less than 12 months after. Should be able to get it done mang.

Thanks for the responses. A few things:

I literally do not get the drop down option in the tournament website other than blue, so while the rules may not be enforced, I am going to have to have someone within IBJJF change this for me. Best strategy for this?

I would not compete at blue, even if that is all they offer. The backlash against be would be very bad. I have 6 wins over black belts already, and will people have seen me compete as a purple/expert.

Just re register with same name and other team name ( change it afterwards) and it should work

Thanks for the responses. A few things:

I literally do not get the drop down option in the tournament website other than blue, so while the rules may not be enforced, I am going to have to have someone within IBJJF change this for me. Best strategy for this?

I would not compete at blue, even if that is all they offer. The backlash against be would be very bad. I have 6 wins over black belts already, and will people have seen me compete as a purple/expert.

Try emailing the IBJJF as a start.

If that doesn't work, have the instructor you are registered under contact them, etc. Just keep working up the ladder until you get someone's attention. It is a sucky system.

This seems silly. If a person wants to compete at purple, be it that he is an experienced grappler like TS or just suicidal, let him.

I thought the ibjjf card was compulsory in the us for bb only anyway.

Sandbaggers suck but the IBJJF is even worse. I say do your best to get this resolved, but if they still refuse to allow you to compete at your proper rank then go as what they insist you are and wreck everyone in your path. It sucks for the people you'd be competing against, but this isn't the first time the IBJJF has pulled this shit and the only way they're going to learn is by putting their idiocy on full display.

Sandbaggers suck but the IBJJF is even worse. I say do your best to get this resolved, but if they still refuse to allow you to compete at your proper rank then go as what they insist you are and wreck everyone in your path. It sucks for the people you'd be competing against, but this isn't the first time the IBJJF has pulled this shit and the only way they're going to learn is by putting their idiocy on full display.

Idk if that is such a good idea, remember the guy who got his BB but the IBJJF wouldn't recognize it so he had to compete at Brown, won, then the internet wanted his head on a platter. Sam something.

Back