IBJJF and Olympics

Strict doping policies would absolutely destroy a lot of the champions

Who gives a fuck about the Olympics?

I do not understand this concept of Judo being bigger than BJJ in Brazil that I heard here more than once.

The number of BJJ schools is way bigger than the number of Judo schools. Almost all places that offer Judo classes also have BJJ classes while the opposite isn't true at all. First town I lived (small): 3 BJJ options, 0 Judo options. Second town (around 80k inhabitants): 5-6 BJJ options, 1 Judo option. Third town (big, third biggest city in Brazil): Judo options: around 10. BJJ options: at least 10 only in the central area of the town. BJJ and Muay Thai are the most common arts in the country. If you have a place that offers martial art classes, probably you will have one of them and most have only one of them. I guess by experience and by internet that Judo is still below Karate, Kung Fu and maybe TKD (in number of schools and practitioners).

The number of BJJ competitions is way bigger than the number of Judo competitions. The number of people that train BJJ is bigger than the number of people that train Judo. From the people that I meet outside of training, only 3 guys train in Judo (one do not trains anymore) while around 10 trains BJJ actively. The only place Judo is bigger than BJJ is media coverage because BJJ is not a mainstream sport.

Another way to compare is to use internet. Discussion of Judo in martial arts forums equivalent to Sherdog is minimal because almost everyone trains Jiu-Jitsu.

You live in the US? BJJ is the trendy thing to do there, judo not so much. Judo is comparatively huge on a global scale though.

Back