IBJJF and Olympics

ThePainFactory

I train Ninjas
@Blue
Reaction score
To be an Olympic sport you have to have a non profit governing body.
IBJJF is a for profit organization, any chance they will turn non-profit to help the sport get into the Olympics?

Seriously, you don't want BJJ in the Olympics. I hope the IOC never get a chance to meddle in Jiu-Jitsu.

Seriously, you don't want BJJ in the Olympics. I hope the IOC never get a chance to meddle in Jiu-Jitsu.

I'm just thinking of it as payday opportunities for people who try to make a living from BJJ. Honestly, the road it is going on now really isn't too bright.

Why would anybody want BJJ to olympics?

The only reason Judo gets more talent than BJJ in Brazil is because of the olympic medals. But then again, i doubt the IOC will allow another grappling sport, when they tried to kill wrestling.

Olympic BJJ would turn BJJ into the 3 minute guard passing competition sport.

I'm just thinking of it as payday opportunities for people who try to make a living from BJJ. Honestly, the road it is going on now really isn't too bright.

olympic payment is overhyped, especially when your governing body is...money hungry

What is the chance of the average Joe wanting to spend 10 minutes watching a footsie match until someone gets one advantage and wins that way?

That is the chance of BJJ going into olympics

It would basically be Brazil Vs the US.

I know they teach BJJ all over the world but I don't think the quality of competitors would be very high.

I'd rather just watch ADCC where you can watch the best VS the best.

There's only so many places at each weight class per country remember in the Olympics, a lot of top guys wouldn't be able to compete.

A lot (possibly most) old time judoka I've talked to (especially in Japan, but also in North America and even Europe) would happily give judo's spot to BJJ.

We might even put money into a collection to help pay for the bid :cool:

Actually making it an Olympic sport would reduce the payday opportunities. Most Olympic sports are coached and run at local levels by volunteers. Judo and wrestling are good examples of that.

BJJ should totally replace judo as the "jacketed wrestling" alibi. IBJJF needs to take the proper steps. It is their time to shine in the wondrous world of olympic awesomeness.

It would basically be Brazil Vs the US.

I know they teach BJJ all over the world but I don't think the quality of competitors would be very high.

I'd rather just watch ADCC where you can watch the best VS the best.

There's only so many places at each weight class per country remember in the Olympics, a lot of top guys wouldn't be able to compete.

ADCC is the only tournament that has a mixture of race/ethnicity.

It seems that anyone who has the analytical skills to see past the idea of "Olympics are cool, we should be in the olympics" knows it is a bad idea for the sport. Plus, with wrestling struggling for survival, there is really no shot they will add another grappling sport with even less popularity.

Judo is a much better casual-spectator sport than BJJ and I would hate to see what kind of changes would need to be made to BJJ to make it appealing to the non-practitioner.

I think the most realistic opportunity would be for no-gi submission wrestling to be added as a third event to Olympic wrestling, but I really have no idea as to how feasible that is. No-gi is a lot faster and more entertaining to the casual fan, would draw more interest from wrestling and MMA fans.

ADCC is the only tournament that has a mixture of race/ethnicity.

I just mean BJJ won't be as good at the olympics as is in its current big tournaments. You disagree?

The only reason Judo gets more talent than BJJ in Brazil is because of the olympic medals
I do not understand this concept of Judo being bigger than BJJ in Brazil that I heard here more than once.

The number of BJJ schools is way bigger than the number of Judo schools. Almost all places that offer Judo classes also have BJJ classes while the opposite isn't true at all. First town I lived (small): 3 BJJ options, 0 Judo options. Second town (around 80k inhabitants): 5-6 BJJ options, 1 Judo option. Third town (big, third biggest city in Brazil): Judo options: around 10. BJJ options: at least 10 only in the central area of the town. BJJ and Muay Thai are the most common arts in the country. If you have a place that offers martial art classes, probably you will have one of them and most have only one of them. I guess by experience and by internet that Judo is still below Karate, Kung Fu and maybe TKD (in number of schools and practitioners).

The number of BJJ competitions is way bigger than the number of Judo competitions. The number of people that train BJJ is bigger than the number of people that train Judo. From the people that I meet outside of training, only 3 guys train in Judo (one do not trains anymore) while around 10 trains BJJ actively. The only place Judo is bigger than BJJ is media coverage because BJJ is not a mainstream sport.

Another way to compare is to use internet. Discussion of Judo in martial arts forums equivalent to Sherdog is minimal because almost everyone trains Jiu-Jitsu.

Does TS even know how the Olympic works? No BJJ competitor would want BJJ to go down the Olympic road.

Back