I

you should work out outside of the dojo, get your wind up, and how to keep going ? just keep thinking you are in a street fight. if you want results quick i suggest you run/jump rope/or any drills that get your heart up and do it until you throw up. after you throw up , keep going. { wrestlers do this all the time they even have the "puke buket" out} i do it when i have a big match and i always have enough gas when i roll,better to puke in training than in the dojo. if you get the chance , work out high cardio stuff in the morning sun, that sun will make your endurance increase very quickly. if you dont believe me try it. youll feel great when the person you roll with says " can we take a break" and you have plenty left.

damn 400 situps 150 push ups? your coach works you to the core..... alls we do is sit around and bull shit while we stretch...

Night classes we run and do roll outs, back rolls, and shrimps.

sounds like you guys put too much time into conditioning and not enough into actual technique training ... at my dojo we stretch for 10 min, learn new techniques for 35-40 and roll the rest of the class you can work out on your own time at the gym no need to pay someone to show u how to do situps

just my 2 cents

Damn, 400 situps, 200 pushups, & 20 mins of jogging. Thats too much IMO. At my school we dont even do pushups or situps. All we do is stretch. Some people do situps but they dont have to.

That's way too much warming up for a grappling class.

At my school we do 15 minutes of pushups, situps, streching, etc for warming up, then another 15 at the end of class.

Anyway, regarding your gassing problem, having someone in the class you don't like actually helps. Just think of how you have to have enough energy to destroy them at the end of class.

At my class, we warm up for 20 minutes (scrimps, pushups, jumping jacks, all sorts of Brazilian-styled warmups) then cardio for 10 (squats, situps, boxing-related cardio workouts), then we do techniques for about an hour, then spar for about 30 minutes.

We pump out a very sufficient quality of Jiu-Jitsu guys, so I think that formula works.

Ideally it should be 15-20 minutes warm-up, 30-40 minutes practice/learning, 30-40 minutes rolling, 10 minutes cool-down for 1.5-2 hour session (although everyone's different).

Why should you spend all your grappling time doing no-grappling exercises that you could do on your own in the morning or on you "off" days? At least your exercises should be "grappling-based" (have a grappling flavour).

I'm a firm believer that every technique should have a support exercise which the instructor can use as a warm-up or exercise in preparation for the tecnhique component of the class.

I agree with these guys, that warm up is way over the top.

I would question how much you need the "eye of the tiger" when rolling with your team mates though - afterall rolling is more about getting the techniques down than winning, so it doesn't matter if you're not so explosive.

I play basketball for 2 hours strait full court. I mean I might as well do something else I love as I train IMO.

But when I roll, I roll with 3 different partners and when one gets tired they switch out so I have no choice but to keep going. Also when I sub them we just tap then conytinue on from the same position w/o the hold. IT works technical skills, but the main focus is conditioning.

simple...going every day to practice, or going frequently, you cannot expect to keep up a high intensity. Practice isn't for going 110%, it's only for learning. If you get tapped, big deal. Tournaments are for the glory and the only thing that counts. Just relax, chill out and go easy in practice if you don't feel up to it.

that type of training is just the brazillian way! and you guys wonder why brazillians are better at BJJ then the rest of the world. in portugal we used to take the warm up very seriously, and in here (UK) I find that most clubs neglect this.

I do'nt think that the training warm up is wrong. you teacher is a world champion, so he obviously knows what hes talking about. I think what's wrong is exactly what you said before, it's your head. you get to nervouse and you can't relax. BJJ is not about tention, it's about timing. I do'nt know your tournament experience, but maybe you need to go to more tournaments, so you will loose your "edge". I am not a tournament man myself, I dont like the adrenaline and the preparation (diets and all that shit). but the few times I did go, I actually did'nt feel that nervouse inside the mat. but many of my mates did, and this blocks them when they fight. some of them were able to unblock this mental wall by insisting on going to more and more tournaments. mabe you can do the same...

if you have money, you can also go to a sports psycologist

I think a good warm up is fine... but what this guy is talking about is over the top...
I agree alot of schools neglect the warm up in comparison to Brazil... But still

400 situps 150 push ups and 20 mins of jogging = out to like 40 minutes of good workout ATLEAST... after oh say an hour your asking for musclatory breakdown to provide energy for your self... The average joe would be burnt out in a week from this.

I dont know if this a joke question or what...40 min work out - 40 min technique -then sparring...

I used to work under ex olympic athlete for judo and are warm ups made me sick some times but we ran 10 mins, push ups, sit ups, stretching, roll outs, shrimps, drags..... but it only lasted probably 20 minutes.

that's not a warm up, that's a full workout. :D

Gsoares2 said:
I think a good warm up is fine... but what this guy is talking about is over the top...
I agree alot of schools neglect the warm up in comparison to Brazil... But still

400 situps 150 push ups and 20 mins of jogging = out to like 40 minutes of good workout ATLEAST... after oh say an hour your asking for musclatory breakdown to provide energy for your self... The average joe would be burnt out in a week from this.

I dont know if this a joke question or what...40 min work out - 40 min technique -then sparring...

I used to work under ex olympic athlete for judo and are warm ups made me sick some times but we ran 10 mins, push ups, sit ups, stretching, roll outs, shrimps, drags..... but it only lasted probably 20 minutes.
I see what you mean. but in portugal (that's my example) we did easily 30 minutes work out. we did'nt do 20 minutes jogging, but we had loads of takedown drills. and we did fine! in the beggining it is quite exausting, but after a month or so you get used to it.. I used to train 5 times per week, and I felt fine.

plus, most of us here are purple belts at best, and his teacher is a world BJJ champion... I guess he knows what he is doing better...

Regardless if you're doing too much coniditioning before you roll or not, this is a good thing. The more tired you are when you spar the better, b/c when you are tired you have to rely on your technique to pull off moves, rather then muscle. And we all know technique is a lot more important.

To the starter of this thread:

You are what is known as a gamer. The person who gets beat up on practice, but when it comes down to the actual situation step it up and kick ass.

this is much better than the guy who is really good in practice but can't put it together on the match.

In wrestling there was a guy who would always get beat up on practice, but when we had the challenge matches would always beat the guys who beat him in practice and did pretty well on the actual match also.

Your situation is quite normal

Your trainer's not good to be working you so hard in just the warmup. That's what's draining you.

i'm a BIG believer in weight training, cardio and stretching as part of an overall daily workout. But to do all this within class time is pointless i think. He is draining you so much that the "overtraining" may be what you are lacking...if that makes sense.

"Stay in shape to do jujitsu, don't do jujitsu to stay in shape." Simple words but they really helped me slow down when i needed them. Train hard everyday and do something everyday, but always have the daily focus of bringing it onto the mat. If you are training well/right, visualizing in your off times and then practicing with quality guys then you should be all set. If you still gas then maybe try adding more "water breaks" until you get where you want.

kimurense said:
I see what you mean. but in portugal (that's my example) we did easily 30 minutes work out. we did'nt do 20 minutes jogging, but we had loads of takedown drills. and we did fine! in the beggining it is quite exausting, but after a month or so you get used to it.. I used to train 5 times per week, and I felt fine.

plus, most of us here are purple belts at best, and his teacher is a world BJJ champion... I guess he knows what he is doing better...

I think your warm up sounds fine. Take downs, and other drills will better your technique, and as a result better your overall game in BJJ.

But that is not the kind of warm up this guy is doing... he is talking about 40 mins running, sit ups, push ups... Which is a waste of money. Those things can be done at home without a partner.

Take down drills, and other BJJ related drills are normaly better with a partner and some can only be done as a partner.... Thats part of the reason you pay to train.....
Not to do sit ups and push ups.

Just my opinion though... i really wish my school did a harder warm up... I think we would see less injury that way... as well as just better technicians, and better conditioning.

Back