I

Gsoares2 said:
I think your warm up sounds fine. Take downs, and other drills will better your technique, and as a result better your overall game in BJJ.

But that is not the kind of warm up this guy is doing... he is talking about 40 mins running, sit ups, push ups... Which is a waste of money. Those things can be done at home without a partner.

Take down drills, and other BJJ related drills are normaly better with a partner and some can only be done as a partner.... Thats part of the reason you pay to train.....
Not to do sit ups and push ups.

exactly :) Stay in shape on your time while getting the maximum jujitsu time for your money.

think backwards .... when you roll in class you should be to tire to roll with the codes words you've used meaning strength ... it should be to learn technique ! when you are gssed you have to think ..

Tiring the students out before grappling is a way of helping them not use strength in lieu of technique. I don't really like or recommend it, but I do understand the reasons for it. I'd rather use hard drilling (i.e. guard-pass or mount-escape) to prevent excessive strength if it has to be done. Ultimately though, excessive strength use is only a significant problem for the less skilled grapplers. I'd rather they come at me full power so that I can practice working against it.

And I just want to state that this IS how we train here in Brazil....hardcore physical part. My gym doesn

us americans are fat and lazy.....
You def tired because coach is working you to death before your rolling... Sounds like a full out work out to me... then on top of that you have a second work out of rolling.

Im sure it is building your gas like crazy but i wouldnt be doing it.

Best advice i can give, Is to just try to eat right and get a good night sleep the day before practice. Try eating oatmeal or other complex carbs for breakfast. Diet is a big contributer to how you feel and perform on the mat.

If your eating right, and getting plenty of sleep... Then just go with the flo.. eventualy it will be no big deal.

That sounds like the first stage of getting gassed. Still got power, but no 'oomph' and it takes a lot to make yourself go at a fast pace. Where you can still do it, but it takes somebody yelling at you (sometimes you yelling at yourself) to get going. Sometimes I can get going by yelling at myself (in my head), other times I really need to find a fast-paced opponent that is just a little better than me.

"400 situps, 150 pushups, 20 minutes of jogging"

Surely you are not paying $150 or so per month for BJJ training and actually spending your time doing this? Man, I'd be pissed. If warmups lasts more than 20 minutes, that's too much IMO.

johil d'o said:
"400 situps, 150 pushups, 20 minutes of jogging"

Surely you are not paying $150 or so per month for BJJ training and actually spending your time doing this? Man, I'd be pissed. If warmups lasts more than 20 minutes, that's too much IMO.

correct, work out on your own time, i love my instructor but im not paying him good hard earned money to tell me to do push ups and sit ups.
get a good workout routine going on on your days off, let the dojo be about technique, you can save money and just join a gym that has a mat if you want to just drill and stay in shape with grappling, but more than 20 minutes is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. my instructor will {sometimes} have us do the striking and clinching drill just to get warmed up before sparring, 1 guy with gloves tries to knock your head off or kick your liver and the other guy waits for the right time to get a clinch, if you really get intense , we take each other down. but thats about it for "warm ups " in my school.

That is too much of a warmup. WAY too much. If that is what your class does, go w/ it. If it is just your routine, you have 2 roads, cut it short and reap the benifits on the mat. Or secondly, get used to this crazy warmup and get buned the hell out...

holy shit, 20$ for 3 times a week?!?!?!?
another reason i want to move to brasil, when i get my masters, if i cant teach in japan, ill definately try to teach in brasil. yeah guys in brasil train balls to the wall, ive heard all kinds of stories about dojos down there.
i heard some schools make you spar against purple belts the first day!! even if you dont know shit.
they are extra rough on you on purpose to see if you come back for more the next day, if you dont , i guess they dont want you anyway. jiujutsu has a way of weeding people out but in brasil its x10

like said before it's not a warm up. if you whant to be a top athlete/atchieve belts you have to train like that, you won't do it with stretchings, and some lousy sit ups. the fisical part is essencial. I think people here think that they are loosing money because they are not learning BJJ during that time, they feel like they are loosing time(!!!) this is not a waist of time. this is part of BJJ (fisical toughness) it is not loosing time, because BJJ is a long term MA/sport, you won't learn everything in 1 or 2 years, you are always learning. and some of the mooves work a lot better if you are fisically complete. do you guys honestly think that all those guys in brazil are doing the same kind of trainig you guys are doing?!? no. they are busting their arses off everyday. that's why they will alway be THE biggest force in this sport.

this is one of the major problems we had in portugal as well. people went to loads of classes to watch and to try out, and they would leave because of warm ups! I don't get it. this is part of the McDonalds culture that is all around us. how can I be a BJJ monster without sweting too much? or how can I get to be famouse without working to hard? (join big brother). this really makes me sad, that everybody is so self centred now a days, it's all about the easy way!

sorry for this post, but this was stuck in my head, and I had to let it go :)

has for vagabundo, I think your problem is psycological, and what I said before still stands..

About those tough schools....I dont train in a particularly tough school either...but some gyms, and I don

I think you might be trying too hard in competition. It's natural to get hyped up but if you are going all out and burning yourself out, that's not good. I guess you are going to have to learn to relax and take it easy. Easier said than done though.

Back