"I would shorten the sleeves." - Demian Maia

OKMS

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Couple years ago, while talking with Maia about the direction and rules of BJJ, he said that if it was up to him, he would shorten the sleeves of the gi to change the game and to eliminate some of the more gi-spesific strategies. He also mentioned that the sleeves where a lot shorter back in the Helio's days.

There has been a lot af talk about BJJ not being "realistic", MMA-aplicable, or "street-ready" anymore.The guard is too advangeous position now days, so takedown- and top-game have suffered.

Many of the new guards require the gripping of the sleeves. Shortening the sleeves would make the use of some new guards a lot harder, and passing the guard easier, since the pants would still be there. All the takedowns would still be there, and the chokes might be easier to sink in. Only the Ezekiel-choke would be eleminated.

I think shortening the sleeves could bring a lot of positive changes to the sport of BJJ. What do you think?

PS: + the short sleeve gi would look bad-ass :D

It actually makes sense, Short sleeve kind of "cobra kai" (style) and sambo shorts.

It actually makes sense, Short sleeve kind of "cobra kai" (style) and sambo shorts.

Yeah, Cobra-kai/kyokushin-karate type of short sleeves. I think the long pants could still be there.. It would give the advantage to the passer. Maybe even too much advantage... After all, we dont want to eliminate the guard from BJJ.

So baybe short pants would be fair. Plus, if one looks at the old ( early 1900) jiu-jitsu fighters they had many times short pants, or long wrestling tights in addition to short sleeve Gi-top.

Soooo turn it into Sambo with BJJ rules with the shortened pants and gi top?

Soooo turn it into Sambo with BJJ rules with the shortened pants and gi top?

Would you turn Sambo in to judo just by adding gi-pants to the game? :D

No. It would be BJJ. They make changes to the rules all the time, so why not to the uniform?

Laruso is a pussy and wins via other people losing to themselves.
Still, i wouldn't want to see sleeveless Gi tops, i'd compete even less in bjj than i currently do.

True.. The evil Cobra-kai sensei did have a sleeveless gi.
I dont know what Demian had in mind, but if it was up to me I would shorten the sleeves to the elbow, and the pants to the knee, ala Yokio Tani.

Laruso is a pussy and wins via other people losing to themselves.
Still, i wouldn't want to see sleeveless Gi tops, i'd compete even less in bjj than i currently do.

Is your game center around the gi sleeves?

True.. The evil Cobra-kai sensei did have a sleeveless gi.
I dont know what Demian had in mind, but if it was up to me I would shorten the sleeves to the elbow, and the pants to the knee, ala Yokio Tani.

that would be all right too... sleeves looks bad ass though.

That does make sense. Kudo gi's have short sleeves...

blue.jpg

Is your game center around the gi sleeves?
My game is off take downs and smash passing. Sleeves get used for throws at times (primarily near the elbow unless if do a sode makikomi), or sometimes for my own grips ill grab my own in certain positions. If we went sleeveless it wont be inherently much different from no gi grappling with the exception of a collar and an obi. I will use a sleeve to spider guard to a scramble and take a single leg, not having one there means i'll just resort to wrestle fucking people all over again lol.

My game is off take downs and smash passing. Sleeves get used for throws at times (primarily near the elbow unless if do a sode makikomi), or sometimes for my own grips ill grab my own in certain positions. If we went sleeveless it wont be inherently much different from no gi grappling with the exception of a collar and an obi. I will use a sleeve to spider guard to a scramble and take a single leg, not having one there means i'll just resort to wrestle fucking people all over again lol.

ok, so you use sleeves a lot.

Ive been doing 100% no gi for 2 years now, so naturally I would give 2 fucks if sleeves and pants are gone :D...

Sleeveles looks bad-ass, but eliminates too many takedowns. Elobow-leght make no harm to takedows, just to some of the modern guards. Kudo/Kyokushin lenght would be perfect.

I like no gi and am probably more used to it from the wrestling standpoint, i just like having both options on a whim for when i blend my styles.

Cutting sleeves off at the elbow would eliminate a few of my take downs like my sode makikomi and my ugly sode tsurikomi-goshi. I also ankle pick off some wrist sleeve grips.

If you don't like the gi, we already have no-gi. I don't see the point of changing the uniform.

If you don't like the gi, we already have no-gi. I don't see the point of changing the uniform.

Yeah, I have done both, + MMA. As have Demian.

I see that the point of shortening the gi would be to get more fokus on takedowns and top game, and eliminating some of the modern guards, whitout changeing the point system. I see BJJ as a "street-fighting syle" and grabing the clothes is important part of fighting, I just dont like the "over-emphezise" of the gi in the modern BJJ.

So in short: Its not that I dont like the gi, its that I dont like the seeves. :)

Some belt loops wouldn't go amiss. Would kill worm guard and halve the time I spend in BJJ redressing myself in one fell swoop.

Back