"I would shorten the sleeves." - Demian Maia

No gi already gets rid of sport only stuff like worm guard and judo.

Why stop below the elbow? Number one complaint about the gi is that you can't show off your fucking biceps, so the crowd doesn't know who to root for.

Ryu-hdstance.gif

I still don't know what worm or donkey guard is.

Would be cool to train in something like a pull over hoodie, as thats probably the most common/realistic teh streetz uniform. You could still grab it and do some chokes, but Lapel Guard and lots of the really specific specialized guards would be out.

Ahh, the good old days. When men were men, and nobody touched the sleeves.

img4c67111157ecf.jpg

I hate training with guys in cheater gis. If you don't want to deal with grips just take the fucking jacket off. Shortening the sleeves is dumb

I hate training with guys in cheater gis. If you don't want to deal with grips just take the fucking jacket off. Shortening the sleeves is dumb

Just to make shure: Demian did not mean shortening individual gis, but to make then shorter as a rule.

I have expained my point. If one happy with the current direction of BJJ then that thats great. Calling someone or something dumb is lame discussion.

The "direction" of bjj is fine lol. Shortening the sleeves does nothing for "street readiness", it just ruins a really fun game that is gi bjj. This is a silly solution for a problem that doesn't exist. If guys enjoy gi, fine. If guys want to fight, they don't need short sleeves, they need wrestling, nogi and sparring with gloves and shin pads

Why stop below the elbow? Number one complaint about the gi is that you can't show off your fucking biceps, so the crowd doesn't know who to root for.

Ryu-hdstance.gif

Yeah, it's silly that we spend so much time yanking on the bloody gi and yet the uniform doesn't allow for showing off of the arms.

Why not just focus on no gi if that's your main concern?

I think shortening the sleeves could bring a lot of positive changes to the sport of BJJ. What do you think?

PS: + the short sleeve gi would look bad-ass :D

Ostriches bury their heads in the sand and BJJers are dropping on their bad-asses when they are scared. Sleeves length can change neither of the two.

Judo got wizard sleeves yet the only people who think that it is not "realistic" are those who never tried fighting judoka.

I hate training with guys in cheater gis. If you don't want to deal with grips just take the fucking jShortening the sleeves is dumb

Good point, you should go tell Demian Maia that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

This is not about how I train. Not even how Demian trains.
Its really just about a hypothetical rule-change. I doubt that this thread is gonna effect the lengh of anyones sleeves, so everyone can relax and comment on the pros and cons that this type of change would bring.

Isn't that an old opinion from the times where the spider guard was becoming the dominant metagame?

OTOH Tim Kennedy almost pulled off the biggest cheat in mma history against Yoel Romero with a standing inside the glove grip so maybe sleeve grips have so use in "real" fighting.

Last edited:
Back