I went to the shittiest gym ever tonight

I'm just saying . . . he went to a very TMA/McDojo claiming to be an ATT place.

I just wanted to point out that just because they hand an ATT banner up does not mean the represent the team. It's not the first time I have heard someone say that ATT is a belt factory because they went to an "ATT" place and it was a TKD type McDojo with some two stripe blue belt teaching armbars.

Nice gif by the way.

He just said it wasn't brought up on sherdog, why would you link to another forum? I think sherdog might need a discussion on this!

Well the website said the guy was teaching at 3 of their locations, so most likely he would be at each location like 1x a week or whatever and just let the blue belts run class in his absence. I would hate to train at a place like that. Also, this is the first I've heard about ATT being a "belt factory", so FLMikeATT, just cuz it's a dead horse to you, doesn't mean we've all heard this. Cool gif though.

It's a very long detailed subject, basically ATT has a program where you can sign up and go train to be a level 1 mma instructor if I have it right. Then as long as you maintain it you can hang an ATT banner at your school and use their name in your marketing. This isn't too much different than the Gracie's combative instructor course that "gives you a blue belt in self defense GJJ".

Not knocking FLMike because he has had some very good posts and represents himself very well, but the level of loyalty for a lot of ATT people is almost at a cult like fashion. I feel a lot of this is from the fact that they have had a very good track record at their main facilities but they have recently (in my opinion) over expanded. Even though the main school is in Coconut Creek if you drive 20 to 30 minutes from their you can find satellite schools, at least three in Broward county alone (same county as Coconut Creek school).

I criticized an ATT affiliate that opened at the gym I belong to and even though it's the same place I work out and the gym is one mile from my house I would not train there, I had to defend myself on other forums for making such a statement.

i hate all these affilation clubs who pay $$ to there black belt instructor who comes down to there club once a month -- they just slap a purple belt on anyone and let the student be the teacher.

the standard at these places are very low

Miletich has an affiliate program that is equally lame.

cool gif, Office space is a great movie

I like that there's an ATT affiliate at a Tang Su DO school or however you spell it.

Unfortunately, a consumer must be vigilant. We're so used to buying products with a name, expecting and getting satisfactory service.

In combat sports, it goes beyond standard branding. These affiliates are one thing, but even hanging a shingle (BJJ, MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai) sends a signal to consumers that the establishment is legit. Sadly, this is not always the case.

In a day of $25 mat fees, signup fees, and 12-month contracts, we have to be careful that we are getting what we want, expect, or deserve. Getting mat time in at other schools and competing is the best method I can think of to ensure you're at the right place.

to be in San Diego and not train with Saulo and Xande Ribeiro is just silliness.

Last I heard the University was "full"? So if you can't get into to see the Ribeiro's might I suggest Fabio Santos...or Madeiros...or Monteiro...or Lister...or Valente...or Harris. Sheesh, to not open your eyes to wealth of BJJ talent in San Diego is just silliness.

Back