I went to the shittiest gym ever tonight

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JerseyTrash, May 12, 2008.

1. JerseyTrash

JerseyTrash Silver Belt

So I'm back home in New Jersey from San Diego, taking care of college stuff, went to a wedding, and scouting out a new gym. I went to this one gym tonight which I had a bad feeling about before I even went. The place advertises on it's website that some black belt from ATT is the instructor there. When I show up though it's a couple of blue belts teaching, and these blue belts are like medium to high white belts at my school back in San Diego. The white belts that were here all seemed to be like, 3 weeks into training. I'm not arrogant at all in my abilities, but I seriously don't see my self getting anything from this gym. I don't need a black belt to teach me (the gym I'm checking out tomorrow is run by browns, and I get a way better vibe from this place) but this place just SUCKED. I'm a 4 stripe white belt and I was most likely the best person there. I wouldn't be talking shit about it if not for the fact that 1)it's one of these massive chain places 2) it was full of guys that were the sort of stereotypical asshole wrestler types who thought that since they could wrestle than they were all around great grapplers. This one guy appeared to be a great wrestler, but he didn't know shit about submissions or how to play off of his back, and he was worshipped at this place. On top of all of that, not a single person ever came up to me. I was just some sort of "weirdo" sitting in the corner and nobody inquired as to what I was doing or if I wanted info, or anything like that. Part of me knows that I'm spoiled in San Diego, but part of me knows that this place just plain old sucked.

2. IChinaManI

IChinaManI Green Belt

^That sucks not only was the training bad, but the environment (people+training space) sounded pretty bad too. I find I learn the most at gyms where there are chill guys that are friendly. This way everyone trains together more as a team. I hate gyms where everyone is doing their own thing. Interaction is a key part of grappling.

3. codemonkey76

codemonkey76 Black Belt

tell us what you really feel? :p

4. JerseyTrash

JerseyTrash Silver Belt

Oh yeah, I forgot to point out that on the website apparantly you have to have some "attendance card" thing. Not sure what that's all about, but I hate it already. Also, you HAD to buy that places gi's. They weren't even like, Koral, or Vulkan, or whatever gis...they were just blank with the shitty gyms name on it. They didn't even have a cool patch or anything!

5. DaRuckus337

DaRuckus337 Black Belt

Might as well dish on the name at this point....

6. QingTian

QingTian Purple Belt

San Diego does have good jiujitsu tho...

7. JerseyTrash

JerseyTrash Silver Belt

Eh, sorry. I don't really feel comfortable doing that. If you live in NJ and really want to know I guess just PM me and I'll tell you. I usually hate hate people that do this type of stuff, but I don't really like publically hating on academies either.

8. Reveen

Reveen Purple Belt

No cool patch?!?!? Well, you'll definitely have to leave now.

9. dallas405

dallas405 Green Belt

where were you training at in SD?

10. DirtyDiggs

DirtyDiggs White Belt

Can you give the town/city? I can understand not wanting to throw out any hate, but ultimately this site is about information and the exchange of knowledge. If a place isn't up to standards, potential students have the right to know.

11. MKashew

MKashew Purple Belt

Hey I'm going to UCSD in the fall, there's a gym near the apartment I will be living in called "The Boxing Club" in La Jolla.

Would that be the gym you're talking about? I wanna go there cuz it's like a 5-6 minute bike ride.

12. dallas405

dallas405 Green Belt

to be in San Diego and not train with Saulo and Xande Ribeiro is just silliness.

13. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

14. Cmac916

Cmac916 Orange Belt

LOL I think you got it:icon_chee

15. damit2hell

damit2hell Guest

ROFL that place is like 15 mins away from where i live, and i refuse to go there, opting to travel 45+ mins away to train at a legit and badass gym

16. whipyourasstyle

whipyourasstyle Exitus acta probat

Probably any of these places at the bottom of the page.

American Top Team

"Level I MMA certified academies" It's Liborio's cash in on MMA and get rich quick. Can't blame a guy for trying.

17. whipyourasstyle

whipyourasstyle Exitus acta probat

Bro, Soares is the real deal. IF he is teaching there it can't be as bad as the TS made out. :icon_neut

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uouGuISyghg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uouGuISyghg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

18. FLMikeATT

FLMikeATT Purple Belt

*sigh*

let's not bring this up again. There was already a 25+ page thread on the underground, and a 100+ page on Bullshido.

[​IMG]

19. blanko

blanko Guest

yea but this isn't bullshido nor the ug

20. FLMikeATT

FLMikeATT Purple Belt

The point is, it's already been discussed and dissected to death. Hence the horse gif.