I want to do a garden next year

I planted a garden for the first time as an adult this year. Spacing was all screwed up, didn’t till deep enough, just wasn’t planned well. Cucumbers took over and my corn was blown over from lack of depth.

Didn’t expect much as I knew I’d have a lot to learn. Next year will be much better. You’ll want to till later this year before it freezes.

I thought I could till at the start of next year. right now it's still grass lawn - next year at the start of the season I could do this?

I thought I could till at the start of next year. right now it's still grass lawn - next year at the start of the season I could do this?

You’ll till again next year but you’ll want to late before it freezes. Introduces nutrients into the soil or something. We had a huge garden when I was a kid and we always tilled at the end.

I should go look at mine and see how it’s doing. After the corn blew over I just threw my hands up and quit checking it lol

I put a decent one in this year clipster and welcome back.

Taters are easy to grow, throw some of those in there. Fresh taters slathered in melted butter on a cool fall day with supper....mmmm(then fry up the left overs next morning for breaky!).

I used to have a garden but I paved over it all and put a fire pit in, it was the right move fire > vegetables

I'm right in the city but my fenced in yard is elite - 100 year old house

No rabbits but I saw a fox the other day

Again fenced in yard - deer all over

Pretty grassy weedy

The place I want the little garden to go is the flat part of the side yard I mow
Youre gonna have to clear out the weedy section too. Its slug/snail heaven and theyll come out at night and eat everything.

You could make that part a perennial edible garden. Jerusalem artichoke are in bloom now. You can probably find them on the side of the road somewhere. Dig some up after flowering is done then put em in a few spots there. Mark it off and then weed the rest out in the fall after shit dies and the beginning of spring. Theyre awesome and beautiful and youll have them forever.

jerusalem_artichoke_plants_9-30-14.jpg
618JSrGcl%2BL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
I tried, it's fun, but I didn't keep going with it.
my garden still has a ton of herbs that always come back, some spuds I don't t know how they got there, onions everywhere, masses of rhubarb, bay trees and shit

Love the stuff you don't have to make any effort with

This 100%!!!!! My onions keep coming back and I do nothing. Onion tomato scrambles are my favorite...

I'm not very good at it but I have been dipping my toe into gardening last few years. I have a dwarf mango tree that produces the best fruit I have ever tasted. I have several papaya trees and they have some fruit on them, I'm hoping they ripen. I also have planted some fragrant flowers near the windows with hopes the breezes will carry the scent in.

It's a pity to have land around the house and not to use it for gardening. That's why when I bought the house one of the criteria was to have enough land in order to settle a garden. So, now I have a huge garden, where I plant tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbers, onions and other sorts of veggies. I'm the kind of farmer and I enjoy doing that. Recently, I made some changes, I bought some plastic decking and I build a small terrasse with the view of the garden. I think it looks great. Anyway, I don't stop at this and this spring I want to plant some trees. So, it's never too late to begin to do a garden.

Last edited:
This should serve you well

I grew a heirloom vegetable garden for a few years. Nothing like it

It's a pity to have land around the house and not to use it for gardening. That's why when I bought the house one of the criteria was to have enough land in order to settle a garden. So, now I have a huge garden, where I plant tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbers, onions and other sorts of veggies. I'm the kind of farmer and I enjoy doing that.
A garden is freedom

Powerful stuff

Only wish i had the space for it atm

Summer nearly done here, hoping my tomatoes and chillies go ripe soon. Got Roma tomatoes along with habaneros, jalapeños, Thai chillis, reapers etc, should be a good haul.

My Uncle garden shamed me for lack of garden

He took my shovel and doug holes in my yard to prove I have that best growing soil

Mostly loom?

My house is 100 years old so there could have been a garden there

I want to start small I'm thinking green beans, peas, carrots and radishes

I'm stoked tbh
Man I did the garden thing for a few years. Felt like I was doing something. I enjoyed getting out of the house 15-20 min a night to water and pluck weeds. It was more about being outside and giving life to something vs growing it looking forward to the food.

Fast forward a year and now my dog has destroyed my garden boxes.

My Uncle garden shamed me for lack of garden

He took my shovel and doug holes in my yard to prove I have that best growing soil

Mostly loom?

My house is 100 years old so there could have been a garden there

I want to start small I'm thinking green beans, peas, carrots and radishes

I'm stoked tbh
grow some weed damn it along with a non gmo crop!

I've had one for 4 years and I love coming home at the end of the day to water it and check it out. It's super satisfying when you start to get food out of it.

Raised beds make a huuuuge difference for keeping weeds out.

Rabbits can fuck all the way off.

I've had one for 4 years and I love coming home at the end of the day to water it and check it out. It's super satisfying when you start to get food out of it.

Raised beds make a huuuuge difference for keeping weeds out.

Rabbits can fuck all the way off.
I get tag teamed by rat kangaroos, possums, wallabies, and if there are any small gaps baby bunnies. One dodgy fucker with a cloudy eye would hop the chicken wire even though he'd usually get tangled in it to eat tomato leaves.

Jokes on them though weather was ass this year for tomatoes although I got a shitload of tomatillos and Ronde de Nice zucchinis in a raised bed out of reach.

Back