I Want To Cut Fat But Keep Muscle - Diet Advice?

B-Ma$e

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I did a quick search on this and found some helpful information, but I want to know how to change my diet specifically. I have been weight training for a little over a year and have put on 12 lbs., some of which is muscle and some of which is fat. I would like to trim down a bit but I'm worried about how to lose fat while maintaining the muscle which I have worked for. Here is my diet and exercise plan. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am 6'3'' and 190 lbs, and I have a big frame.

Breakfast - 2 pieces of rice toast with light margarine.
Protein shake with milk. The protein is egg and whey.
Smoothie with mixed greens, spinach, rice protein, V8, blue berries, and cranberry juice.
1 L of water.

Approx protein - 80 grams
Approx carbs - 60 grams

Lunch - I can of tuna
Spinach salad with light dressing and no croutons.
Rice noodles.
Protein shake with milk. The protein is egg.
2 L of water.

Approx protein - 70 grams
Approx carbs - 40 grams

Pre Workout - protein shake with whey and gatorade.

Approx protein - 17 grams
Approx carbs - 17 grams

1 hour of weight training.

Post Workout - protein shake with whey and gatorade.

Approx protein - 50 grams
Approx carbs - 66 grams

Dinner - 2 chicken breasts.
Spinach salad with light dressing and no croutons.
2 L of water.

Approx protein - 40 grams
Approx carbs - 10 grams

40 minute run.

0.5 L water.

Before Bed - cottage cheese.
Crackers.

Approx protein - 28 grams
Approx carbs - 12 grams

Approx daily protein - 285 grams
Approx daily carbs - 205 grams

I do weight training 4 days a week and run 5-6 days a week. On the days I don't weight train I usually have more protein at lunch and a milk and whey protein shake mid-afternoon.

6'3'' 190, and you're trying to LOSE weight? Sounds pretty thin to me already. But regardless...

I would add more fruit to your diet in place of all the rice products. I would also take fish oil, and a good multivitamin to round out where you're deficient. You're eating too much protein in one sitting, as well...I've heard estimates that the max amount of protein your body can ****bolize at once is around 30g, tops. So cut that PWO shake down just a little, you also don't need that many carbs for a weight lifting session.

If you could run in the morning rather than after dinner, that would really help. I know it can be hard to schedule that with work/school whatever, but it would get your ****bolism going throughout the day, and avoid the need to have high GI snacks right before bed to replenish yourself. Better to taper down what you eat leading up to sleep.

You're eating too much protein in one sitting, as well...I've heard estimates that the max amount of protein your body can ****bolize at once is around 30g, tops. So cut that PWO shake down just a little, you also don't need that many carbs for a weight lifting session.

Not true and not true - you need fuel after you workout, lift weights, whatever. your PWO should always be high in the things you need, eg approx carbs 2:1 protein..? There is a LOT of stuff on here anyways with a lot more exactness than what I just said (a lot of reserach has been done on PWO), and I'd suggest you go and read it.

Thanks for the help thus far! I knew I forgot something. I do take fish oil, as well as a multi and an antioxidant supplement at breakfast. In regards to your suggestions, what type of fruit would you recommend? Also, you suggest reducing what I eat before bed. I have two questions in regard to that. If I cut out the carbs before bed will my body still properly ****bolize the protein? Also, if I eat less protein before bed won't I become catabolic during the night?

6'3'' 190, and you're trying to LOSE weight? Sounds pretty thin to me already. But regardless...

I would add more fruit to your diet in place of all the rice products. I would also take fish oil, and a good multivitamin to round out where you're deficient. You're eating too much protein in one sitting, as well...I've heard estimates that the max amount of protein your body can ****bolize at once is around 30g, tops. So cut that PWO shake down just a little, you also don't need that many carbs for a weight lifting session.

If you could run in the morning rather than after dinner, that would really help. I know it can be hard to schedule that with work/school whatever, but it would get your ****bolism going throughout the day, and avoid the need to have high GI snacks right before bed to replenish yourself. Better to taper down what you eat leading up to sleep.

I've always heard the body can assimilate 60g of protein every three hours or so.

Calorie cycling or carb cycling both will work really well for cutting while retaining strength/muscle

Not true and not true - you need fuel after you workout, lift weights, whatever. your PWO should always be high in the things you need, eg approx carbs 2:1 protein..? There is a LOT of stuff on here anyways with a lot more exactness than what I just said (a lot of reserach has been done on PWO), and I'd suggest you go and read it.

Yes you need fuel, but if you put in too much it's wasted and stored as fat. The TS's weight lifting sessions burn far fewer calories than his run, and the carb contents of each PWO should reflect that.

bodybuilding.com has great forum for this type of stuff.

It's impossible, you will get aids, and cancer.

I'm in the same boat...I'm also trying to lose a little belly fat while still maintaining my build, it's not easy at all.

I do, however, make slight progressions every month by just following a strict diet and working my ass off.

I was thinking on investing in a thermogenic and possibly taking the hit for a month or two on possible muscle loss just to get rid of some of the belly fat. After that, I can go back to my routine and hopefully build back muscle but maintain the tight abs.

Holy shit man, is it really necessary to have a protein shake with every meal? I hope you're lifting constantly throughout the day.

Holy shit man, is it really necessary to have a protein shake with every meal? I hope you're lifting constantly throughout the day.

Back