• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Elections I voted today for the first time

Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET)

Yeah, there's nothing debatable. It was an overwhelmingly top-to-bottom American initiative with American funding, infrastructure, agencies, universities, engineers, and computer scientists. It's really more accurate to say that the Internet laid the foundation of the world wide web, which itself is an ingenious revolutionary NON-American creation.

Disagree. The internet is the software and hardware. One is useless without the other.

I concur.

Stats on US emigration are surprisingly hard to find. Apparently over 6,000 US Citizens renounce their citizenship per year though. I bet the paying US taxes while living (permanently) abroad helps with that. And you hear about all the people moving to Mexico, like Thomas Markle. Moving to Canada after losing an internal battle is an American tradition, people did it after the Revolutionary War and Civil War. @fingercuffs are you still a British citizen? Do you have any other nationalities as you seem to have lived abroad a lot.

Why don't we call the Sun the Moon and vice versa? Close enough, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And this is a cat:

German-Shepherd-dog-Alsatian.jpg

and you will be mocked for disagreeing.

Words have meanings. As annoying as people like you find people like me, you must need us or we wouldn't have evolved to be a constant small part of the population.

Obviously when I said DARPA I meant DARPANET. I have corrected the post and thanks for picking that up.

The internet is not a US invention. (People in) the US invented part of it. Sorry this seems to bother you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm also sorry to have to tell you that you're on shaky ground with the transistor.

I bet this kind of thing happens a lot in academia/inventing. If there were some way to irrefutably find the 'father' of an invention, like DNA testing children, I bet a high percentage would be at least partly wrongly attributed.

Of the three inventors usually credited with inventing the transistor (Bardeen, Brattain and Shockley), two were born abroad: Brattain in China and Shockley in London.

I don't know very much about transistors but apparently the BBS version was soon superceded by the MOSFET transistor, which was invented in the US by an Egpytian and a Korean immigrant. The USA gets full credit for the integrated circuit though.
6500...out of 340 Million. Americas so great people are breaking into everyday and those who hate it don't have the balls to leave it.

Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET)

Yeah, there's nothing debatable. It was an overwhelmingly top-to-bottom American initiative with American funding, infrastructure, agencies, universities, engineers, and computer scientists. It's really more accurate to say that the Internet laid the foundation of the world wide web, which itself is an ingenious revolutionary NON-American creation.
Damn, you beat me to it. :)

Damn, you beat me to it. :)

Just absolutely bizarre stuff in this thread. Like, in what world does the semiconductor industry not consist of the design and fabrication of integrated circuits? You know, computer chips, the brains of all modern electronics and backbone of the digital economy.

6500...out of 340 Million. Americas so great people are breaking into everyday and those who hate it don't have the balls to leave it.
A lot more than 6,500 people leave the US permanently each year, that's just the approximate number of people who renounce US citizenship. A lot of sources also say more illegal immigrants leave the US each year (overwhelmingly voluntarily) than enter.

Disagree. The internet is the software and hardware. One is useless without the other.
You disagree that the internet is not the same thing as the world wide web? Well that's great but you are still wrong. They are not the same thing. It's okay that you didn't know that so you erroneously conflated the two. The internet is perfectly fine without the world wide web and isn't useless on its own.

Think of it like Smart TVs. The new UI and functionality of a Smart TV is great and definitely improves the TV. But a TV on its own is still a useful device with many functions. The internet is the same. That interconnected file sharing network still provides many useful functions even if you removed the world wide web.

You disagree that the internet is not the same thing as the world wide web? Well that's great but you are still wrong. They are not the same thing. It's okay that you didn't know that so you erroneously conflated the two. The internet is perfectly fine without the world wide web and isn't useless on its own.

Think of it like Smart TVs. The new UI and functionality of a Smart TV is great and definitely improves the TV. But a TV on its own is still a useful device with many functions. The internet is the same. That interconnected file sharing network still provides many useful functions even if you removed the world wide web.
Good analogy. The WWW is just a surface layer interface. People, myself included, used the internet for other purposes before the WWW came along. When I was in university, a math professor there was using email to collaborate with a colleague in Australia on research.

No, I disagree that I was conflating the internet with the WWW.

People are reacting really badly to this latest round of fact checks, I think because it's hurting their 'national pride', and I don't want to get banned for 'trolling', so I'll bow out of the discussion at this point. Discretion is the better part of valour after all.

@Bullitt68 I tried putting the salute smiley after 'after all.' and it doesn't seem to be showing up.

People are reacting really badly to this latest round of fact checks, I think because it's hurting their 'national pride', and I don't want to get banned for 'trolling', so I'll bow out of the discussion at this point. Discretion is the better part of valour after all.

@Bullitt68 I tried putting the salute smiley after 'after all.' and it doesn't seem to be showing up.
Well you absolutely were conflating the two and I have no idea why it is so hard for you to admit you were mistaken. Some humility would do you some good.

Well you absolutely were conflating the two and I have no idea why it is so hard for you to admit you were mistaken. Some humility would do you some good.

The confusion isn't only between the internet and world wide web but also includes what DARPA is, how an American citizen is defined, and the relationship between semiconductors, transistors, and integrated circuits -- what they are, how they're related, and why I'm saying the things I have in this thread.

Absolutely you were. You said you found that Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet. You literally made that claim. If that's not conflating the two, what the fuck is?

This place sometimes... lmao

Absolutely you were. You said you found that Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet. You literally made that claim. If that's not conflating the two, what the fuck is?

This place sometimes... lmao

The perils of moon hoaxing and quick search scrolling topics you have no idea about for the purpose of serving some weirdo grudge against America. And my god, to do it on the day, in the very thread that our beloved and freshly minted American citizen @fingercuffs had only wished to celebrate exercising a Constitutional Right guaranteed to her by the 19th Amendment. For Shame.

94a9b544fe19c86f1f9ab269a523fea0.gif

Credit to @Hog-train and @Chad R. Thundercock for indirectly and unintentionally instigating all of this shit. You've done a fine service, boys.

{<jordan}

The perils of moon hoaxing and quick search scrolling topics you have no idea about for the purpose of serving some weirdo grudge against America. And my god, to do it on the day, in the very thread that our beloved and freshly minted American citizen @fingercuffs had only wished to celebrate exercising a Constitutional Right guaranteed to her by the 19th Amendment. For Shame.

94a9b544fe19c86f1f9ab269a523fea0.gif

Credit to @Hog-train and @Chad R. Thundercock for indirectly and unintentionally instigating all of this shit. You've done a fine service, boys.

{<jordan}

giphy.gif

I'm disappointed in you, Fingercuffs.
Republicans are losers. And no, I don't just say that to attack you or be mean-spirited. They are literal losers. They have been losing the culture war in the Western world for over 50 consecutive years now. Sometimes, the loud ones like MTJ and Cruz claw a few inches back, only to lose miles of ground immediately after. The world is steadily, and eagerly, looking to leave these people behind.
They're never going to care how corrupt Trump is. All they're ever going to care about is the world they'll never have. And since they'll never have it, they'll make due with enjoying every opportunity they get to see the real world burn. That's the only "wins" available to them, the only real opportunities for them to feel like things are going their way.
My reply to this is huge cut of SPEAK FOR YOURSELF sandwiched in-between two slices of THAT'S YOUR OPINION.

Congrats. All you need to do now is get a gun, lose a few IQ points and get fat as fuck. You'll be a full blooded American.
Well... I am living proof that you don't speak for all republicans.

Congrats on not voting for the science denying pedophile party who deny basic biology and worship a child sniffing creep who sexually assaulted his daughter. You're officially are smarter and have more sense than the room temp IQ dumbasscraps.

Congratulations. You didn't make a difference at all.

Im going to do some research and find out who is for this gender identity crap,
Democrats definitely. On DAY ONE Biden signed something to allow men into women's sports (didn't Biden just try to reinforce some kind of bill last month to further ensure this?). Many lefties on this board either turn a blind eye to it or go the "why do you care!!", "what's the obsession!?!?!!" routes in order for the topic to go away.
against abortion,
only the REALLY hardcore conservatives. And even many ignore it when it's a pregnancy due to rape or incest. When if comes to abortion after 7 months.... That's when it gets dicey.
and for illegal immigrants,
Democrats are very much facilitating this. Really pissing people off about it also.
and im voting for their opposition. I don't care what their opposition is for or against, those three things ( and pun intended ) " trump anything else".
true that

Back