i think my school is turning mcdojo

calzone

White Belt
Reaction score
help! i think my school is turning mcdojo

my instructor is making everybody wear these stupid ass colored stipes on their belts. theres a yellow one a blue one a green one an orange one and so many other colors... just think of the rainbow. well of course we have to pay a fee to test for these stupid fucking color stripes but in order to "test" for a colored stipe we would have to memorize the moves that he showed for the month and pay a fee. and he says we need all of the colored stipes in order to advance to the next belt level!

not only that he is making everybody buy his stupid fucking gi's and he is making everybody put on these stupid fucking patches one on the pant leg and the other on the back of the gi.

that school used to be legit but now i think my instructor is selling out.

my blood boils just think about this bullshit.

pls. don't ask what school i train at cause that would be slander.

why not just show up, train, and not bother testing for the stripes?
if he forces you to test, there's your cue to go somewhere else

"don't ask what school i train at because that would be slander"

Yes it would...because of the way that you phrased everything. If you would have just stated facts, and not used the type of language and deliver that you did...you would have nothing to worry about...because than you would just be stating facts...nothing more and nothing less

anyway...what type of school is this? Is this a BJJ school or some sort of TMA school that has a "BJJ program"?

Surely you can answer that...

and if you cannot...well...why did you take the time to create a new profile (as i see this is your 1st post) and come on the internet and complain about this place...

You should feel grateful that Shinya Aoki is your sensei.

That sucks man. I don't think you really need to wait and see what happens to know how this story ends.

Actually its only slander if its not true.
Simple solution for you: leave and join another school.
If there are no other schools keep training but dont grade, this might piss off your instructor though.
Just to clarify, this is a bjj club? What sort of costs are we talking about (how do they compare to monthly rates and actual belt tests)?

you need to tell ur instructor--and get others to speak up against it

"don't ask what school i train at because that would be slander"

Yes it would...because of the way that you phrased everything. If you would have just stated facts, and not used the type of language and deliver that you did...you would have nothing to worry about...because than you would just be stating facts...nothing more and nothing less

anyway...what type of school is this? Is this a BJJ school or some sort of TMA school that has a "BJJ program"?

Surely you can answer that...

and if you cannot...well...why did you take the time to create a new profile (as i see this is your 1st post) and come on the internet and complain about this place...

this is a strictly bjj school. is used to be true we used to never pay for anything when the instructor saw that you were ready he would give you the belt.

why not just show up, train, and not bother testing for the stripes?
if he forces you to test, there's your cue to go somewhere else

yeah do this. But it's time to prepare yourself for your probable exit.

Also, if you and ur instructor get along pretty good, you should voice your concerns about why he isn't "keeping it real."

Actually its only slander if its not true.

Just to clarify, this is a bjj club? What sort of costs are we talking about (how do they compare to monthly rates and actual belt tests)?

the cost for one of the many many rainbow colored stripes that are required is around $15 or $20.

he used to only make the kids do this. and then he made only the white belts and the kids do this. now he is making everybody where these stupid ugly rainbow stripes!

Well, the simple question is to ask if there are any alternatives in your area.

I say voice your opinions first. Call him on it and see what he says. Train as normal and don't worry about it. If its test or leave then find another school.

If you can find a new place that is the same price for a similar quality of instruction, jump ship.

If you can't find such a place and can afford to pay for the stripes, then buck up and pay. It is his school, and he's instituted a new policy, you'll just have to deal with it. If the quality of the jiu jitsu remains unchanged, then it shouldn't matter as much (aside from the money- which may not be a huge issue depending on your income).

If you can find a new place that is the same price for a similar quality of instruction, jump ship.

If you can't find such a place and can afford to pay for the stripes, then buck up and pay. It is his school, and he's instituted a new policy, you'll just have to deal with it. If the quality of the jiu jitsu remains unchanged, then it shouldn't matter as much (aside from the money- which may not be a huge issue depending on your income).

its not the money that bothers me. it is wearing a belt with ugly stipes on it that bothers me.

if i go to a tournament and they see that im 8th degree they are just gonna think im a pussy.

also the quality of jiu jitsu is being watered down a bit. he has certain moves at each belt level and that is the moves he teaches. it is like he teaches those moves only that is on the syllabus. i remember when i was a white belt he was teaching waay more moves that were on the syllabus. there are a lot moves on the white belt curriculum that i learned that are now not on it.

that is why i said earlier in my post that before the school was legit now it is turning mcdojo.

Hey Calzone,

thanks for the reply...

As has been said by some of the others in the thread, i think that you need to sit down with your instructor 1 on 1 and talk with him. Tell him your concerns...ask him about why he has changed things and implemented the different "colours" of belts/stripes, tesing fees, etc...

You have the right to voice your concerns about the changes (as you are paying him for training)...

But he also has the right not to do a damn thing about it...and kept this as they are...or even make them worse...

So at that point...you also have the right to walk away from it...and go and train somewhere else. Is there anyway else to train in your area?

Yes it would...because of the way that you phrased everything. If you would have just stated facts, and not used the type of language and deliver that you did...you would have nothing to worry about...because than you would just be stating facts...nothing more and nothing less.

That would be a double standard.

This is no different than the countless times you guy hunt down phony black belts or raid McDojos Gracie style.

Back