i think my school is turning mcdojo

And thats whats happens when martial arts and capitalism mix.

You get some instructor who wants to get rich off of teaching and turns his belt system into a pyramid scheme.

America is rife with such places.

And thats whats happens when martial arts and capitalism mix.

You get some instructor who wants to get rich off of teaching and turns his belt system into a pyramid scheme.

America is rife with such places.

Yes. Unlike the communist nation of Japan, where martial arts is pure.

you're going to have to post a pic of one of these rainbow belts...

Yes. Unlike the communist nation of Japan, where martial arts is pure.

Right because Japan employs the exact same method of crony capitalism the US does, and their culture isnt any different form ours is it? The way they view martial arts is the exact same way that Americans do isnt it?

Everyone knows that the almighty dollar and profit incentive have destroyed martial arts in this country or else there wouldn't be constant references to "mcdojos" on this forum on a daily basis. Its even happening to many BJJ schools as this thread illustrates. Turning belts into a pyramid scheme and making people pay ridiculous amounts of money to learn simple techniques.

Turning belts into a pyramid scheme and making people pay ridiculous amounts of money to learn simple techniques.

I don't understand how that rainbow belt system is a pyramid scheme. Can you explain?

ask the instructor if he would consider switching from tape to merit badges, that way you can trick out your gi.

There is nothing illegal about stating a fact and your opinion. It is when you attempt to pass off a defamatory statement as fact that you will be in legal hot water.

Now name the school and instructor........or commit ritual suicide for a bad gimmick.

I don't understand how that rainbow belt system is a pyramid scheme. Can you explain?

Holy shit, how awesome would THAT be?

You pay 30 bucks for your stripe, but in turn, you get the right to promote 3 other people with a stripe for 30 bucks each, keeping 30 and kicking 60 up the chain.
Fuck, I'm starting my career as a martial arts instructor tomorrow, I'm going to be filthy rich!

My suggestion as brown belt in BJJ is not to look at the belt system as the most important factor in training at particular school. When I got my brown belt, the people that were graduating with me were probably more happy than I was. The goal for me is black belt and the brown is just another step.

My suggestion to is to look at the following things in addition to belt situation you already mentioned. Are you learning something? Is the training legit, learning armbars and not pressure points etc.? And do you get out training?

I have found that these are the more important questions to ask. If you only look at a belt system as the only requirement for training at a school, you could really miss out on some good training. And if it does turn it to a MCdojo you can know that still learned something even if the belt is not legit...you got better.

More warning signs your school is McDojo....

1. The instructor doesn't fight but teaches MMA

2. Krav Maga

3. BJJ that only teaches basics because theres so many damn TUF noobs signing up now it's ridiculous.

You pay 30 bucks for your stripe, but in turn, you get the right to promote 3 other people with a stripe for 30 bucks each, keeping 30 and kicking 60 up the chain.
Fuck, I'm starting my career as a martial arts instructor tomorrow, I'm going to be filthy rich!

lmao funniest post

Right because Japan employs the exact same method of crony capitalism the US does, and their culture isnt any different form ours is it? The way they view martial arts is the exact same way that Americans do isnt it?

Everyone knows that the almighty dollar and profit incentive have destroyed martial arts in this country or else there wouldn't be constant references to "mcdojos" on this forum on a daily basis. Its even happening to many BJJ schools as this thread illustrates. Turning belts into a pyramid scheme and making people pay ridiculous amounts of money to learn simple techniques.

You're nuts. This country has the best, most effective, least Bullshido martial arts training that probably any nation in history has ever had. In large part due to the influx of BJJ, Muay Thai and MMA.

I have trained in Korea and Japan and believe me, there is every bit as much McDojo in those places, if not more, plus a heavy dose of bullshit racism to go along with it.

Actually thats not far off from alot of schools. They promote students within 1-2 years and then those students open their own schools and so on.

Btu thats not what I meant. what I was referring to is the business model where instead of paying a training or mat fee just to train you pay a training fee, then a testing fee, then a belt fee, and when you pass you learn like 3 more techniques and have to keep paying to learn more then when you get close to black belt they start charging you even more.

Its a pretty garden-variety business model for all kinds of schools and sounds similar to the TS school.

You're nuts. This country has the best, most effective, least Bullshido martial arts training that probably any nation in history has ever had. In large part due to the influx of BJJ, Muay Thai and MMA.

I have trained in Korea and Japan and believe me, there is every bit as much McDojo in those places, if not more, plus a heavy dose of bullshit racism to go along with it.

I think each country has their own problems. As for the US obviously not every instructor is bad or overcharges but I think the tendency is more profit-driven than Japan. I dont think you would find as many instructors in Japan charging people for training, uniforms, belts, stripes on belts, testing, and every other fucking thing they could possibly get away with.

Korea I could definitely see that though as they have a cultural inclination towards that kind of business from being poor for so many years.

Back