I think I am over training?

gocubs1815

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've been training for a BJJ tourney on Saturday for about three weeks now. I've changed my diet in an effort to cut weight. I weighed 192 on Sept 20th and now am almost to my goal of 185. I normally am not a very healthy person aside from training BJJ. I occasionally run, eat fast food, and drink at least 1 coke a day.

Since the 20th (when I realized how close I was to a different weight class), I've cut out all fast food and soda (if I'm not drinking water, its light lemonade), I've only had one night out where I was drinking (and that was 2 weeks ago), and this week I've begun waking up pre-dawn to run 2 miles each day. All this on top of my normal 4 day a week BJJ training with a few extra days and classes in there to help me get ready.

Doesn't seem like much huh? Its my first tournament on Saturday, but lately, I've been feeling achey, lethargic, been forgetting things big and simple, and have been loosing my appetite. I'm gonna stay the course until Saturday come hell or high water, I'm making weight.

But what I want to know is, am I overdoing it? Or is this all just a product of a non-athlete going thru what normal athletes go thru on a constant basis? Or do I just seem stressed from anxiety about my first competition?

What are you eating?

How much rest are you getting?

Give us that info first, and maybe we can walk from there to help you :)

How are your moods? Do you feel depressed or anything like that? There's way more to over training then being just tired and sore.

you're not a pro athlete, plus bjj is a sport in which skill can compensate for weight.you don't need to cut weight to win bjj tournaments. keep running (or swimming) to keep your cardio up and train, but resting and eating are the basics.

you're not a pro athlete, plus bjj is a sport in which skill can compensate for weight.you don't need to cut weight to win bjj tournaments. keep running (or swimming) to keep your cardio up and train, but resting and eating are the basics.
He is not going to significantly increase his skill between now and Saturday. Being in the high end of a weight class will most certainly give him an advantage.

your either not eating or not sleeping enough, I've had wrestlers do a modified Broz system and wrestling practice in the offseason and didn't have any 'overtrained' athletes

What are you eating?

How much rest are you getting?

Give us that info first, and maybe we can walk from there to help you :)

This right here...I bet it has to do more with lack of sleep/poor quality food than over training. I think it'd be hard to achieve the overtrained status in such a short period of time, but I may have misunderstood what you said.

edit: The achy, tired, lethargic feeling could also be stress related.

It simply sounds like you are under-recovering. Since you are eating less you need to make sure that your diet is solid and that you are getting lots of sleep.

Don't worry, I highly doubt you are over trained. The general population don't have the will power to actually put themselves into the 'over trained' catagory. You may be over reaching, but I doubt over trained. Before the tournament take a couple days rest, let your body heal and I guarantee you that you will perform better then you will if you keep training consistently.

You're not over-training.

You're out of shape and training.

You need to get your diet set. You need lots of good fat. That will help a lot with cognition and awareness. It sounds like in the past you've been powering your self with simple sugars. Those are chemically addicting, and f-up your insulin receptors, so when you get off it, it feels bad. Stay off it. Ditch the lemonade and drink water. Lots and lots of water. Eat protein. Take some branch chain amino to help with recovery.

All in all what this should teach you, is if you want to perform, you need to be healthy all the time. Not just the week before a tournament.

I agree with the previous people in that you are just out of shape, because I personally know a lot of other people who train more, including myself, and feel a bit sore but nothing too drastic. Just remember to have at least one rest day per week, sleep good, and eat lots of food and make sure you get enough protein and carbs. What I do, and take it with a grain of salt and you can decide whether this would be good for you or not, is train twice per day six days per week with one rest day. After two to three weeks of training, I train only once per day and maybe only three, maybe four times per week. These sessions are just as intense, but with only one per day and more resting you're muscle will develop. Then, after about one, or two months if that is easier for you at first, take a week break and maybe do light jogging. I did this for the summer, and trust me, it works. (The two workouts per day is because I had the time to, and because at school I am lucky enough to have a weight training course, but one workout per day should easily suffice as long as you are working hard.) Good luck in your competition and in future training!

- also, as you workout more, your body gets more accustomed to pushing yourself and you won't feel these problems as much, and it is even very possible that you are just nervous and over stressing yourself. Just stay confident, and make sure to not overdue it before any competitions.

Last edited:
There are two schools of thought on how to get ready for that tournament. Train as hard as you can until the day before the tournament or rest up the entire last week before the tournament so that you are fresh. By what you are saying I think you should start resting up. If you're almost at your target weight than just keep eating clean and maybe a little light, and keep do a little LSD cardio. After a Friday morning jog, don't do a thing but rest and relax.

Overtraining or not... I don't know... But today is Tuesday... or Wednesday and if you got a comp on Saturday your main goal between now and then should (I'm a therapist I should all over my clients) be to rest, recover, prepare mentally, and roll very lightly. Rehearse your game plan... go through the whole comp in your head... What's your plan to get the game down to the mat??? There are, more or less, a finite number of positions you're going to settle into (settle may not be the best word)... let's say you end up in... how about half-guard bottom (just for fun) so what to do??? #1 Don't get caught. If you get caught it's over :icon_sad:. So you need to know what are his submission options from his position and what are your counters. #2 If your in a good position secure that position, if not, maybe in this example, you then work your escapes/sweeps/reversals. #3 Now that you've swept/escaped/reversed him secure your position and look for submissions. #4 If you haven't got the submission work to improve you position... and it just keeps going...

I hope that helps... that's sort of the process we use.

As for overtraining you might find it interesting to read about Central Nervous System Fatigue CNS Overtraining

When I'm concerned about overtraining the first thing I look at is my waking heart rate... if it starts to raise above my normal values... then it's likely I'm moving towards overtraining. IMO heart rate is one of the simplest and most consistently accurate measurement of fitness... specifically when considering overtraining. Increased Heart Rate & Overtraining | LIVESTRONG.COMhttp://www.damienhowellpt.com/pdf/heart%20rate%20over%20training.pdf

Increased Resting Heart Rate

During intense periods of training, monitoring your heart rate at rest and during exercise can identify when you are pushing your body too far. If you fail to include adequate rest during training, the body does not have the ability to rebuild itself after intense and regular training. Measure your resting heart rate at least two to three times a week upon awakening. By taking the measurement at this time, before breakfast or coffee or daily activities start, you can have a true sense of your resting heart rate. If you notice an elevated difference of five to 10 heart beats in the mornings, these are among the first warning signs that you are entering the first phases of overtraining.

not to derail the thread or anything (I cant make threads) but has anyone here ever had an inguinal hernia? I've been doing squats recently and today I've been feeling some slight pressure around my groin area where a hernia would take place and was wondering if anyone has ever felt this or if its an early sign of a hernia

This kind of thing happens all the time to somewhat inexperienced competitors. It is your first time getting down to weight, you are going to feel like shit the first time. Usually, most athletes can recover just fine and perform well after the first cut if they are smart about what they do after weigh ins.

Second, you cut out all of your caffeine. This may contribute to feeling lethargic. Keep in mind also that you are probably conciously or subconciously thinking about the competition which adds to your stress level which in turn can take a toll after awhile.

Last, dont listen to everyone who says what you should and shouldnt do before a competition. It is so individual that no one can tell you a surefire way to get ready. Some rest, some dont. Many of my teammates take the week off; I go live everyday before competition. Good luck.

Overtraining or not... I don't know... But today is Tuesday... or Wednesday and if you got a comp on Saturday your main goal between now and then should (I'm a the rapist I should all over my clients)

the part in red, I have no idea what you're trying to say. did you mean to say "shit" instead of "should"? so you are the rapist and you shit all over your clients? even that doesn't really make much sense.
:icon_neut

Back