I think Deadpool and Wolverine will be the highest grossing film of 2024.

I wonder how this will do for an international audience, as far as repeat watchers go.
I just watched it, and there are so many inside jokes with Hollywod, Disney vs. Fox, and then the typical humor of Deadpool/Ryan Reynolds, that I don't know how an international audience takes it in. A bunch of jokes aren't even translatable.

It's a big hill to climb with Inside Out 2 making so much and the R Rating, but looking at the movies releasing in August I honestly wouldn't be that surprised. Depends on word of mouth. A lot of Marvel movies don't have great legs.

I would say yes except for that fact that it’s R rated, that could be a problem since 13-16 year olds cannot go to see it on their own. But then again Gen Z apparently doesn’t go to the movies to begin with so this movie’s success is entirely contingent on bringing back millennials and Gen X to the theatres.
LOL I cant stand super hero movies, but growing up in the 90s I remember very well getting your "parents" to call the actual theater and say yeah it's cool if he sees that.

I wonder how this will do for an international audience, as far as repeat watchers go.
I just watched it, and there are so many inside jokes with Hollywod, Disney vs. Fox, and then the typical humor of Deadpool/Ryan Reynolds, that I don't know how an international audience takes it in. A bunch of jokes aren't even translatable.

Most international markets are pretty good at adapting comedy. If something is unstralatable they will change it for something local, like changing a baseball players name for lets say Messi or instead of translating a phrase word for word that will end up meaningless they change it for a local phrase, for example the different names for cocaine in the trailer.

And most people that will pay a ticket for Deapool wil get references Disney vs Fox, Hollywoke, etc. Very few people will walk in to this film clueless about the last 25 years of superhero films.

Last edited:
I would have said that's not exactly a risky prediction.

*Both Deadpool movies grossed $700+ million.
*Return of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, for the first time in 7 years.
*Practically the only Comic Book movie of the entire year.

But....the issues with it being NOT being the biggest movie of the year are...
*Its an R-rated movie.
*Inside Out 2 has grossed $1.5 Billion, so far.

For reference, 2019's Joker is the highest grossing R-Rated movie of all time with $1.079 Billion. I bet Wolverine/Deadpool will beat that, but it'll have to dwarf the previous record to beat Inside Out 2.

But....the issues with it being NOT being the biggest movie of the year are...
*Its an R-rated movie.
*Inside Out 2 has grossed $1.5 Billion, so far.

For reference, 2019's Joker is the highest grossing R-Rated movie of all time with $1.079 Billion. I bet Wolverine/Deadpool will beat that, but it'll have to dwarf the previous record to beat Inside Out 2.

Yeah I don't think it will beat inside out 2. It will need to make Endgame/No way home money but without kids.

Most international markets are pretty good at adapting comedy. If something is unstralatable they will change it for something local, like changing a baseball players name for lets say Messi or instead of translating a phrase word for word that will end up meaningless they change it for a local phrase, for example the different names for cocaine in the trailer.

And most people that will pay a ticket for Deapool wil get references Disney vs Fox, Hollywoke, etc. Very few people will walk in to this film clueless about the last 25 years of superhero films.

How are you measuring that? There's things like slapstick comedy that are pretty universal, there are some jokes that can be adapted to fit other audiences, and there's also scenes that may be funny to an American audience for one reason that is different as to why it is funny to a foreign audience.

As someone that lives abroad and has been in many movie theaters in other countries, there's been no shortage of times where I've been one of a very few people that laughed or reacted to a scene that was meant to be funny, or meant to cause a reaction.
Some things are simply just not really translatable, especially in the instant it happens in a scene. I didn't pay attention to the subtitles this time, but i'll have to take a look again in the future. But, for example, drugs are so taboo in most places in Asia, I'm not sure what they would replace all of those names with to make it make sense.

Plenty of people that watch most super hero movies in America don't get all of the references. A Chinese audience is up to date on "Hollywoke"?
I'm not saying they're going to be completely clueless. But compared to other Marvel movies, there's a higher cost of entry compared to the other movies. It's still enjoyable and fun to watch as an action movie, but there's a lot more 4th wall stuff here compared to the past 2.

Some lines will still fall flat, i recall Deadpool referencing Fox news and Kushner.

What do you guys think??

Deadpool and Wolverine on their own always gross very well. To have them combined it’s not as if it will break Barbie but I think the movies of this year alone, this one will be a standout and be the highest grossing film for 2024.
Yes I think so.

xQKHXPS.jpeg

It has to be good. Really good. If it’s bad the backlash will kill comic book movies dead, for a long time.

I got my ticket early for Friday 6pm, I just checked and only about 10 seats have sold

I was expecting a lot more

Some lines will still fall flat, i recall Deadpool referencing Fox news and Kushner.

I just told you they localized that stuff . They change that for something similar or just find a different joke.

I understand is difficult to see, but is also why some shows are more popular outside than in the USA. Dubs and localization sometimes makes things better (oR at least for local audience pov) .

Last edited:
How are you measuring that? There's things like slapstick comedy that are pretty universal, there are some jokes that can be adapted to fit other audiences, and there's also scenes that may be funny to an American audience for one reason that is different as to why it is funny to a foreign audience.

Dubbing american stuff is a old industry not something they will do for this film. Is not nuclear science, change a name for another a situation for another or create your own. Its mostly dumb jokes that will fall age badly or people will not understand in some years anyway, not Shakespeare.

As someone that lives abroad and has been in many movie theaters in other countries, there's been no shortage of times where I've been one of a very few people that laughed or reacted to a scene that was meant to be funny, or meant to cause a reaction.
Some things are simply just not really translatable, especially in the instant it happens in a scene. I didn't pay attention to the subtitles this time, but i'll have to take a look again in the future. But, for example, drugs are so taboo in most places in Asia, I'm not sure what they would replace all of those names with to make it make sense.

You are seeing stuff with subs, is the dubbed stuff that gets the good localization, the people that watch the subs are usually people that are more familiar with american culture and english.

I guess a bigger problem maybe with english speaking than don't dub stuff.
Plenty of people that watch most super hero movies in America don't get all of the references. A Chinese audience is up to date on "Hollywoke"?

Can't talk about China, but latin america is, Brazil do. China in itself is a different market, Star Wars bombs there, Aquaman 1 was a huge hit more than any other place, they love fast and furios.

Dubbing american stuff is a old industry not something they will do for this film. Is not nuclear science, change a name for another a situation for another or create your own. Its mostly dumb jokes that will fall age badly or people will not understand in some years anyway, not Shakespeare.

You are seeing stuff with subs, is the dubbed stuff that gets the good localization, the people that watch the subs are usually people that are more familiar with american culture and english.

I guess a bigger problem maybe with english speaking than don't dub stuff.

Can't talk about China, but latin america is, Brazil do. China in itself is a different market, Star Wars bombs there, Aquaman 1 was a huge hit more than any other place, they love fast and furios.
Besides cartoons, I hardly see films dubbed in Korea or Japan in the theater.

It's not a matter of it being 'nuclear science', it's just a simple function of language and culture. Plenty of things just don't translate well--particularly jokes.
You can't just change a word if the joke requires context and an understanding. A joke about FOX news or 'woke" would be immediately understandable to an American/Western audience, but there's not an equivalent of that in every other country where you could just plug in another word or local news station and it would be on par and be seen as funny.
That the movie and jokes are topical and could age in 10 years goes to my point. It makes it harder for an international audience to understand the movie the way it was intended to be seen.

Asia, especially China is a big market for movies like this. I can't speak on South America, but I can imagine that there are a lot more similarities and understanding when it comes to jokes and culture.
Big, loud, simple stories like Aquaman, Fast and Furious tend to do good because they're pretty straight forward.

TVA is from the first season of Loki, which was freaking amazing, but if you're not a fan of the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy book series then you may not dig it as much as I did
Hitchhikers guide was a good book.

Back