I think Conor can Beat Masvidal

Conor easily beats him at 170. weight has no impact, Conor too classy striking

however Tony and Khabib kill Conor at 155. those two guys are special

this is actually the fight i most want to see. would love to see how mas handles that heat.

they both come out with flying knees and break each other's kneecaps.

It’s an intriguing fight because Jorge is definitely the favorite but Conor can crack a lot of people with that left.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Conor won, although the definite advantages go to Jorge for well-roundedness, size and cardio.

Last edited:
Haha yeah, he got hit by Till before brutally putting him away. The same gorilla that just beat Gastellum at MW and is about to fight freakin Jared Cannonier. An old Cerrone on a losing skid that chokes in big fights is a little different than fighting in the deep end of the tank at 170. Wonderboy, Usman, Covington , Masvidal, Woodley, Edwards and probably more most likely beat him. Conor is a LW, and there are plenty of good fights for him there.

I didn't realize you found quotes of me saying all of that...

Anyways, Conor can box too. He has solid defense and explosive hands. He also has an awkward style and an extremely rangy, fast counter left. I just don't think Jorge will have an answer for it and will get popped all night.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I just find it ridiculous that people are questioning whether or not this is a fight Conor can win...my opinion would be different if it was Usman, Colby, Woodley, or any other big WW with dominant grappling.

Clear you mind before talking nonsense. It's called answer the absurdity by absurdity. Nothing to do with ppl searching for others quotes
nor whatever...
Beside of that everyone is entitled to his opinions which is perfectly respectable.

But I'd say if you know about boxing and combat sports you can't say mcg is better than Masvidal. You just can't, otherwise you're in for big surprise. There are not many things that favor mcg in a potential fight against Masvidal and that has nothing to do with Masvidal's record and what he's done in the past. I bet the house mcg knows it himself.

We know style makes fights, we can't always rely on what happened in the past to be objective with our judgment.
Mcg has always been a good boxer, so was Masvidal, did they have the same trajectory in MMA? Obviously not

Does that make mcg a better fighter than Masvidal? No

Not saying mcg can't win against Masvidal but it's very unlikely especially with Masvidal of today's who has tremendously leveled up his overall game.
There's a reason why he hasn't called mas yet. Not only he won't be able to play mental games with him and he knows he can loose this fight in devastating fashion.
I respect your opinion but it's the truth and most ppl know it including mcg

Last edited:
Clear you mind before talking nonsense. It's called answer the absurdity by absurdity. Nothing to do with ppl searching for others quotes
nor whatever...
Beside of that everyone is entitled to his opinions which is perfectly respectable.

But I'd say if you know about boxing and combat sports you can't say mcg is better than Masvidal. You just can't, otherwise you're in for big surprise. There are not many things that favor mcg in a potential fight against Masvidal and that has nothing to do with Masvidal's record and what he's done in the past. I bet the house mcg knows it himself.

We know style makes fights, we can't always rely on what happened in the past to be objective with our judgment.
Mcg has always been a good boxer, so was Masvidal, did they have the same trajectory in MMA? Obviously not

Does that make mcg a better fighter than Masvidal? No

Not saying mcg can't win against Masvidal but it's very unlikely especially with Masvidal of today's who has tremendously leveled up his overall game.
There's a reason why he hasn't called mas yet. Not only he won't be able to play mental games with him and he knows he can loose this fight in devastating fashion.
I respect your opinion but it's the truth and most ppl know it including mcg

That's the thing...I've been watching MMA/boxing for a long time and I'm generally pretty good at recognizing ability.

And the eyeball test tells me that Masvidal is good. But it also tells me that Conor is special. And you never addressed my paragraph about Conor's counter left hand, which seems tailor made for a guy like Masvidal.

It's obviously a very competitive fight on paper. And Masvidal is definitely tougher (mentally and physically) and has a better gas tank, which could be a factor - especially if Conor's mentality goes to shit leading up to the fight But Conor just has more (and imo better) skills at his disposal.

Haha yeah, he got hit by Till before brutally putting him away. The same gorilla that just beat Gastellum at MW and is about to fight freakin Jared Cannonier. An old Cerrone on a losing skid that chokes in big fights is a little different than fighting in the deep end of the tank at 170. Wonderboy, Usman, Covington , Masvidal, Woodley, Edwards and probably more most likely beat him. Conor is a LW, and there are plenty of good fights for him there.
Till aint fighting Cannonier mate, has an ankle injury apparently.

Masvidal would beat the shit out of Conor. A lot of you guys are completely idiotic when it comes to fighter analysis.

Feel free to make a case for whatever bouts you want, I made my case specifically for Masvidal vs Conrat from observing Masvidal vs Nate and Conrat vs Nate 1 & 2.

What did you observe besides who won?

Also you still havent told me why MMAth only works if they don't go to the ground.

let's pump the brakes. conor beat a 37 yr old coming off of two devastating defeats.

You fools are crazy. Masvidal is basically the same size as Conor, has good boxing but not in the class of Conor's elite timing, and superior power. Great match up for Conor.

That's the thing...I've been watching MMA/boxing for a long time and I'm generally pretty good at recognizing ability.

And the eyeball test tells me that Masvidal is good. But it also tells me that Conor is special. And you never addressed my paragraph about Conor's counter left hand, which seems tailor made for a guy like Masvidal.

It's obviously a very competitive fight on paper. And Masvidal is definitely tougher (mentally and physically) and has a better gas tank, which could be a factor - especially if Conor's mentality goes to shit leading up to the fight But Conor just has more (and imo better) skills at his disposal.

Not only I've been watching combat sports for 30yrs including mma since the very first ufc but also I've been practicing muay Thai kickboxing for pretty much as many yrs. I'm not pretending I'm any sort of expert nor even a champion, but I'm very passionate for sure.
Long story short, I agree mcg is as good as it gets when it comes to mma striking, I agree that he's special especially with his counter left hand but again I can tell you he hasn't been tested yet by a good striker. You can tell me what about Aldo? Aldo was also a good mma striker that essentially looked good against wrestlers. The hominik fight showed many flaws in his game, with his techniques and positioning.
Beside of Aldo mcg never met a good striker that could challenge him. Diaz did though.
Here comes Masvidal. A very good and well versed striker that have great techniques, great positioning, mouvement, and very good understanding of the striking game.
Beside his counter left mcg has nothing special with his overall striking game, he uses kicks more as a set up to his boxing and that 's it...
While Masvidal has good footwork, head mouvement, he can be dangerous in short and long range, has very good jab, pretty good kicks knees elbows and underrated wrestling which he obviously spent good time working on it.He's bigger stronger and tougher than mcg.
That being said, not saying mcg can't win that fight but.... I wouldn't bet the house on him.
Mcg is not crazy he knows Masvidal could be his toughest test ever. There are levels to this shit as mcg was a brick wall in aldo's long run of dominance, Masvidal could very well be mcg's, and it has nothing to do with present or past records.
Again mcg knows it even if it does not mean he won't accept this challenge but....

so who in that time frame was a top striker at 55? If yves wasn’t? He forsure was one the best strikers at the lighterweight classes at that time
And who in your opinion is a more versatile striker than cowboy?
Because cowboys kicks and punches just like a million other fighters he uses all his weapons.

the thing is jorge is more versatile at using those weapons and applying them in different situations.
The fact that jorge can fight backwards, laterally ect and cowboy cant already proves my point that he’s more versatile.

Top strikers in '07 Hard to recall everything and there were no real rankings everything was pretty broken up but I'd go: BJ Penn, Gomi (althogh pride rules was 160), Hellboy Hansen, Eddie Alvarez, KJ Noons was up there, Rob McCullough, Probably Gilbert Melendez, Sam Stout, Maybe Spencer Fisher. At any rate, certaintly not a guy 3 years seperated from his last KO and in a slump. Not a knock on Yves, I'm just trying to be real about where he was in that moment. I'd personally put Franca and Charles Bennet over him back then. At any rate, I don't want to make this a discussion about Edwards, lets call that a single good head kick KO for Jorge, but not a case study in guy who's a high risk for a head kick KO.

Now you're conflating versatile fighter, and versatile striker. I wouldn't say Cowboy is the most versatile striker. I don't know if he's ever had a knee or elbow KO in his career. He's a very strong fundamentals kind of kickboxer. I chalked his versatility up to how many positions he's dangerous from. How many ways he has to threaten his opponent, not his wide array of stikes, but I think it's important that he's effective. Like Ben Saunders has beautiful muay thai, but it hasn't proven to be all that effective. As for who is more versatile with their strikes, I guess it depends if you are talking specifically LW, LW/WW, open Weight? Pettis, Aldo, Barbosa, Thiago Alves, and maybe Wonderboy, Lima, Larkin, and Condit are all highly effective guys in spitting distance of cowboy's weight on any given day that have very diverse array of stiking capabilities. Not better or more effective per se, but probably more versatile strikes.

I disagree, I think Jorge is very good from positions he dictates: top position and mid to long range. He collapses the pocket beautifully (see the Till fight), he has a great body kick from kicking range. He has a ton of power confidence and those go a long way. I wouldn't bet on him to ge the best of a scramble, or to threaten with a sub off his back, not to say he can't, those just aren't offensively stellar positions for him from what I recall. I can't think of a fight where I was blown away by his clinch work (in fairness, I went and watched some more Cerrone footage, and he's not stellar in the clinch either). he mostly stays out of it with his jab. He's generally very good at staying out of those positions which is a skill in and of itself, but I don't think I'd chalk that up as a versatile fighter.

The fact is Cowboy can fight backwards and laterally so I'm not sure what you mean when you say he can't. I certainly wouldn't hang my hat on that argument if I were you.
PeriodicPaleAmurminnow-max-1mb.gif
tumblr_ncmd7b01Mi1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

Again, Masvidal is great. Better than Cowboy is right now, and has been for a while. Just not more versatile. In Cowboys career he's just proven to be a threat pretty much everywhere.

I think Masdival probably wins. However, I do think the fight is much, much closer than Nate vs Jorge.

It's possible for sure, but unlikely in my opinion.

If they have 10 fights, Conor wins 3, Jorge wins 7.

And the eyeball test tells me that Masvidal is good. But it also tells me that Conor is special.
And you never addressed my paragraph about Conor's counter left hand, which seems tailor made for a guy like Masvidal.
This 100%, and ive been steady watching this sport since UFC 40 (prolly havent missed a ppv) Conor is different, Conor is special, just like prime Fedor and Anderson were to watch. Magic inside the octagon/ring

u can throw Jones and GSP in there as well, just enterainment wise, these 2 arent as exciting

Back