I still can't believe Gus retired

Tbh you could see this coming ever since the Rumble fight. I have a very strong feeling Gus was going to retire and they bribed him with a title shot. Gus getting that shot made no logical sense. They were already basically hyping the DC v Bader fight and all of a sudden boom announcement DC is fighting Gus for the title. Guy was coming off a loss. DC got a shot coming off a loss to but it was to the champ at least and the champ pulled out of the event.

Was nowhere for him to go. I think he could have been HW champ but think his head got fucked up once the second Jones fight happened. Yeah he got hurt but that injury didn't change the outcome and I think Gus knew that.

He got tired of losing and his heads not in the game, good time to call it quits.

Yeah, it's hard to stay competitive if you're always looking out the door.

I think the Jones picogram fiasco took a lot out of Gus mentally too. You could see how shredded Jon was at the weigh ins compared to him... he was already defeated by what had happened.

At his best he was a beast, but the drive to train hard wanes.

War Gus, thanks for the blood, sweat, and tears.

He doesn’t have enough space for the arm tattoos , it fucks with his ego. The Arm is shaded

Some guys lose the fire in their belly once it becomes clear to them that they're never going to be a champ. I'd much rather Gus retire than become Jake Ellenberger.

He should at least tried his hand at HW.

It definitely sucked to see him go but his heart wasn’t in it anymore.

It’s better that he went out when he did then to go out like Penn.

he could have been champ if he stuck with alliance or trained with a real camp. swedish edmund held him back

He should go out with an uncolored triangle.

He's had a bunch of injuries and surgeries and had been discussing retirement for several years.

Some guys aren't the same after getting married and having a family, and burnout in such a brutal sport is real. He's a celebrity in his country, likely has other good opportunities and made good money.

I'd much prefer to see guys go out on their own terms as opposed to losing until they are shown the door with broken bodies.
Yeah he was a shell of his former self against Jones

the Smith loss just confirms it. He's got nothing left best just to call it a career.

It seems to me he's only had one foot in the game for quite some time. The guy has only fought 6 times in the last 5 years, losing 4 of those 6. And I thought he looked pretty terrible against Jones and Smith. Gus clearly thinks he doesn't have "it" anymore, and judging by recent performances, I'm inclined to agree.

I don’t think it’s forever. He just got beat up
On tv by someone he thought he would out class. I think he will return at some point.

In front of his hometown too. Thats pretty rough and he used to be a top tier fighter. The Gus we saw fight Jones the first time we will probably never see again. That and the Thiago Santoses and Johnny Walkers would murder him also.

i can't believe he retired as late as he did
should have retired in 2015

Back