I still can't believe Gus retired

Davey Crockett

Mane, Firmino, Salah
Banned
Reaction score
D6t4iqoWkAQcTDB.jpg:large

I don’t think it’s forever. He just got beat up
On tv by someone he thought he would out class. I think he will return at some point.

He's had a bunch of injuries and surgeries and had been discussing retirement for several years.

Some guys aren't the same after getting married and having a family, and burnout in such a brutal sport is real. He's a celebrity in his country, likely has other good opportunities and made good money.

I'd much prefer to see guys go out on their own terms as opposed to losing until they are shown the door with broken bodies.

Realizing you're not on the same level as Jones after thinking you were for 6 years will do that to a man.

I can

dude talked about it all the time

As a huge fan of his, Im afraid he will change his mind and comeback in a year or two. I seriously hope he won't, he retired at the right time, imo.

He’s been one foot out the door since the Cormier fight, he has had a bunch of injuries, and has come up short on some pretty big fights, I’m sure that weighs a lot on him.

Having said that Gustafsson has had a very respectable career, to this day he gave Jon Jones his toughest fight (one of the greatest championship fights of all time) and Gustafsson was ranked in the top 5 for the better part of his career. Much hespecht for Alexander Gustafsson

I'm sad he sat out waiting for title shots instead of fighting contenders.

Why should he continue to fight? He has everything - money, hot wife, kids, beautiful home etc. If you get older you realise how stupid fighting actually is.

I'm sad he sat out waiting for title shots instead of fighting contenders.

That’s the only reason he lasted this long.

If he actually fought contenders he would’ve been exposed earlier n would’ve retired earlier as well

That’s the only reason he lasted this long.

If he actually fought contenders he would’ve been exposed earlier n would’ve retired earlier as well
Agreed. Milked that close fight with Jones for all it was worth

There's actually a whole bunch of good LHWs coming up though, if that's any consolation.

Reyes, Rakic, WalkGOAT, and outside the UFC guys like Prochazka, Nemkov and Moldavsky.

He has been pretty inactive for about the last five years so it’s not a huge shock to me

Tbh you could see this coming ever since the Rumble fight. I have a very strong feeling Gus was going to retire and they bribed him with a title shot. Gus getting that shot made no logical sense. They were already basically hyping the DC v Bader fight and all of a sudden boom announcement DC is fighting Gus for the title. Guy was coming off a loss. DC got a shot coming off a loss to but it was to the champ at least and the champ pulled out of the event.

Was nowhere for him to go. I think he could have been HW champ but think his head got fucked up once the second Jones fight happened. Yeah he got hurt but that injury didn't change the outcome and I think Gus knew that.

There's actually a whole bunch of good LHWs coming up though, if that's any consolation.

Reyes, Rakic, WalkGOAT, and outside the UFC guys like Prochazka, Nemkov and Moldavsky.

What's crazy is you named 6 guys and there's still like 4 more that are exciting not counting your friendly neighborhood gatekeepers. The 2020s are going to be lit. Feels like it's 2007 then, absolutely giddy about where this division will be in a few years. If Jones rolls through all these guys he won't be the GOAT anymore he'll be the GOAT GOAT.

Guys been fighting pro for 12 years and has taken some bad damage from the likes of DC, Rumble and Jones. Everyone here seems to forget the injuries that Gus has had and we don't realize the wear and tear training camps have.

He got tired of losing and his heads not in the game, good time to call it quits.

Back