I smell amonia when I work out hard

DanZarrella

White Belt
Reaction score
been doing some tabata sets on a stationary bike.
with MMUSA's thermo male supplement right before the workout:
Creatine Serum*: 250mg
Glucosamine Sulfate: 100mg
Inositol:100mg
L-Arginine: 50mg
Bee Pollen Extract: 50mg
Calcium Pyruvate: 50mg
L-Carnitine: 50mg
Citrus Aurantium Extract (4% Synephrine): 50mg
Eleutherococcus Senticosus: 50mg
(Ginseng Extract 1:4)
L-Glutamine: 50mg
Gotu Kola Extract: 25mg
Grape Seed Extract: 50mg
Guarana Extract (8% Caffiene): 50mg
L-Lysine: 50mg
Vitamin B5 (Calcium Pantothenate): 25mg
Zinc Gluconate: 25mg
Potassium Chloride: 10mg
Vitamin B6: 4mg
Vitamin B1: 3mg
Royal Jelly: 20mcg
Selenium (Yeast): 20mcg
Chromium (Yeast): 10mcg

and taking xyience's XFBam daily as proscribed:
Sclareolude: 125mg
(Fermented Salvia sclarea leaf extract)
Hoodia Cactus leaves: 150mg
Proprietary XFM AM Blend: 720mg
-Green Tea Extract
(standardized for epigallocatechin gallate, caffeine, and polyphenols)
-Yerba Mate
(standardized for caffeine and methylxanthines), infused with natural caffeine for a total of 300mg caffeine.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine: 30mg
Ginger Root Extract (zingiber officinale): 45mg
-Standardized to contain 5% Gingerols
Cayenne 100,000 STU/gram: 45mg

and recently after I workup a good sweat i've been detecting the sent of amonia on and off.
I'm pretty sure its not me or my sweat that smells like it, i use a towel to wipe my sweat off and it doesn't smell like amonia, so i'm thinking its something weird with my brain/nose.

anybody else get anything like this?

It is all the chemicals in your body sweating out of your pores!!!

is there any room left for food after all the suppliments you take? Holy crap man!

I sometimes get that ammonia sensation in my sinuses for a few seconds after doing head/handstands. It might be something to do with a spike in the bloodpressure in your head. If it persists you should probably see a doctor.

You guys don't understand, he's only taking two supps: MMUSA thermo male, and xyience's XFBam

You need to have a massage, focusing on your lymph nodes.
After therapy, you need to take some greens for a week or so.

How's your metabolism?

I assume you need some help since you are taking a fat burner.

Your diet has a HUGE impact on how you smell. I've never taken anything other than a multivit, so I can't help you, but the problem may not be the supps. What's your diet like?

Chad Hamilton said:
You need to have a massage, focusing on your lymph nodes.
After therapy, you need to take some greens for a week or so.

How's your metabolism?

I assume you need some help since you are taking a fat burner.

I do take greens powder (with green tea extract) every morning with a multi, and I drink low-carb protien shakes during the day. I also keep to a decently low carb diet.
The massage idea sounds pretty good, any explanation why?

my metabolism always used to be high (i think) but since i hit say 20 it slowed down and i developed a gut. (i'm 24 now) whats a good measure of metabolic rate?

and about the bloodpressure spike, I do get dizzy spells every once in a while (not motion or blood sugar related) but these happened even more before started taking the supps and working out regularly. in fact working out seems to stop them when they happen. I've also had my resting pressure checked and its normal.

thanks

That's insane. I have had that same thing for quite a while. I thought I was just losing my mind. It's always after a hard cardio set. Also, this started for me before I ever took any supplements. I know this post doesn't help much but now I know I'm not the only one. BTW, I'm 25 in good shape with no medical issues... ie...blood pressure, diabetes, etc.

Ammonia is mostly a byproduct of digestion, are you on a high protein diet? The ammonia may be evaporating through your skin which may indicate your body cannot flush it out the regular way through urination. How much water do you drink daily, before and after training? Have you had any kidney issues? You may want to take a couple days off the supplements and flush them out for a few days, see if the smell remains.

OR, you may just be straining really hard and making a little pee in your shorts.

gungfudisciple said:
Ammonia is mostly a byproduct of digestion, are you on a high protein diet? The ammonia may be evaporating through your skin which may indicate your body cannot flush it out the regular way through urination. How much water do you drink daily, before and after training? Have you had any kidney issues? You may want to take a couple days off the supplements and flush them out for a few days, see if the smell remains.

OR, you may just be straining really hard and making a little pee in your shorts.

I am on a high protien diet, although i'm pretty sure its not my sweat (or my shorts) that smells like amonia, i use a towel to wipe off the sweat and it doesn't smell like amonia.

DanZarrella said:
I am on a high protien diet, although i'm pretty sure its not my sweat (or my shorts) that smells like amonia, i use a towel to wipe off the sweat and it doesn't smell like amonia.

If we are talking about small amounts, you may not be able to smell it on a towel or shirt. You could be smelling the vapors, or maybe your nose gets used to it and cant smell as well, I dont know. I do remember my sweat and my body smelling of ammonia from taking amino acid tabs.

I think you're just pissing your pants and not telling us. Fess up.

Back