I seem to be stronger after not lifting for a week or so. What does this mean?

Niels

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I seem to have less trouble with lifting the same amount of weights after not lifting for a week or so.

Is this normal or am I like overtraining?

If you feel stronger after a week out of the gym you were likely under recovered from your workouts.

This isnt a bad thing. In strength training there are periods of over reaching and doing lots of volume, then backing off to peak.

Im assuming you werent doing this so its safe to say you have been under recovering.

I dont like the term overtraining, i prefer the term under recovering because most people could do with better lifestyle habits rather than needing to reduce volume...in my experience at least

If you feel stronger after a week out of the gym you were likely under recovered from your workouts.

This isnt a bad thing. In strength training there are periods of over reaching and doing lots of volume, then backing off to peak.

Im assuming you werent doing this so its safe to say you have been under recovering.

I dont like the term overtraining, i prefer the term under recovering because most people could do with better lifestyle habits rather than needing to reduce volume...in my experience at least
So how should I improve my lifestyle habits to recover better

So how should I improve my lifestyle habits to recover better
More/better sleep (if you snore get a CPAP)
More fruits and vegetables
More food in general
Light cardio helps
Lower stress levels where possible

Sleep and diet are #1 and #2. Training is a DISTANT #3 in my opinion.

You could run a sub par program and get better results eating and sleeping more and better than the best program eating and sleeping like crap

I seem to have less trouble with lifting the same amount of weights after not lifting for a week or so.

Is this normal or am I like overtraining?
Fatigue accumulates during a strength training program. When you "deload" or take a week off, the fatigue dissipates.

Deloading. A lot of workout programs even incorporate deloading weeks where for 1 week you take it off after working out regularly for 5-8 weeks or you load up half the weight as usual

sounds like you were overtrained and gave your body the proper rest, after a hard workout i feel weak, after a few days i feel good again. thats why i only lift twice, three times max a week.

Fatigue accumulates during a strength training program. When you "deload" or take a week off, the fatigue dissipates.
I wouldn't say I'm the most successful lifter (as in not much GAINZ), but I don't think it's because of really overtraining either.

How could I improve this?

I do biceps and chest 2x week:

Biceps:
3 sets of 10 reps for each exercise:
-EZ bar curls: 26,15 kg
-dumbell curls: 10kg per hand
-hammer curls: 10kg per hand (often last bicep exercise and only 1 or 2 sets)

Chest:
-dumbell bench press: 14,5 kg in each hand
-incline dumbell bench press: 14,5 kg in each hand
-barbell bench press: 47,5kg (often less sets since my shoulders often hurt because of it)

Triceps and shoulder 2x week:
3 sets of 10 reps for each exercise

Triceps:
Skullcrushers with the EZ bar: 14,15 kg
Dumbell skullcrushers: 6,5 kg in each hand (often tendon pain in elbow)

Shoulders:
Often only 1 exercise because of pain and cracking in shoulders (I also do muay thai so I don't want to injure them)
Arnold press (3 sets of 10 reps with 10 kg in each hand)

I know this I not heavy lifting but I experience pain in my joints if I go heavier.

I'm 19, 178cm and my weight changes from 65 to 68 and back often

sometimes after a training for a while the accumulated fatigue adds up and a period of offloading allows that fatigue to dissipate and you do come back stronger......several programs operate off of that mechanism on purpose you just accidentally did it

I wouldn't say I'm the most successful lifter (as in not much GAINZ), but I don't think it's because of really overtraining either.

Biceps:

Chest:
-barbell bench press: 47,5kg (often less sets since my shoulders often hurt because of it)

Triceps:

Shoulders:
Often only 1 exercise because of pain and cracking in shoulders (I also do muay thai so I don't want to injure them)

I know this I not heavy lifting but I experience pain in my joints if I go heavier.

Swap the bicep work for squats and you’ll be good to go.

So youre lifting 4x a week on top of muay thai

How often are you doing muay thai and how long are your sessions? Are you doing any conditioning outside of your muay thai sessions?

To me this looks like pretty classic under recovery.

If i were you... Reduce your lifting to 3x a week and do a low volume full body program

Make sure to get 8-9 hours of quality sleep. This doesnt mean get in your bed at 10pm and play on your phone or watch tv...this means get in your bed at 930 and be asleep by 10...and wake up at 6 or 7am....whatever your schedule allows.

8-9 hours of quality sleep.

Eat nutrient dense foods. Fruits, veggies, potatoes, meat.

Eat MORE food if you arent currently dieting for a fight. Most fighters walk around heavier than they fight.

This should help get you started

Biceps:

Chest:

Triceps:

Shoulders:

Read the FAQ.

So youre lifting 4x a week on top of muay thai

How often are you doing muay thai and how long are your sessions? Are you doing any conditioning outside of your muay thai sessions?

To me this looks like pretty classic under recovery.

If i were you... Reduce your lifting to 3x a week and do a low volume full body program

Make sure to get 8-9 hours of quality sleep. This doesnt mean get in your bed at 10pm and play on your phone or watch tv...this means get in your bed at 930 and be asleep by 10...and wake up at 6 or 7am....whatever your schedule allows.

8-9 hours of quality sleep.

Eat nutrient dense foods. Fruits, veggies, potatoes, meat.

Eat MORE food if you arent currently dieting for a fight. Most fighters walk around heavier than they fight.

This should help get you started
My gym is currently closed for the summer (I don't compete actually and try to go at least 2x a week with 2h per training)

I had this recently. After a hard season and a year of training hard I took a couple of weeks off. I went back to the gym and added 10kg to my squat because it felt light, did my 3x7 easy.

Then I did press and was doing 65kg x3x7, last set I managed 10!!!

Happiest I've been about lifting for a while.

So maybe I'm down with deloads now eh?

I had this recently. After a hard season and a year of training hard I took a couple of weeks off. I went back to the gym and added 10kg to my squat because it felt light, did my 3x7 easy.

Then I did press and was doing 65kg x3x7, last set I managed 10!!!

Happiest I've been about lifting for a while.

So maybe I'm down with deloads now eh?
Im a firm believer in younger fellas and guys who have their sleep in check should still take a week long deload every 6-8 weeks.

Older men and guys who dont have great sleep or nutrition, every 4-5 weeks.

At the bare minimum it keeps you fresh and allows you to manage nagging injuries.

If youre peaking for a meet or something, this may be different but if youre a person who competes seriously, youre likely paying attention to your nutrition and sleep so you can probably push harder, longer.

You either did not eat or sleep enough to accomodate recovery and or pushing to hard for too long. When I push myself to the extremes, especially in lifting, my output starts to suffer. I usually take a lighter week except for the excersizes I want to increase. Next week im stronger and progress on my lifts. Most of.the times its not recovering enough for me caused by progressing to fast to higher weights. If I push on I get injuries. Happened loads of time cant comprehend the stupidity I suffered. Nothing teaches like experience!

Alexa, what is supercompensation?

Back