I see RDA matchup pretty well with the current top 5

And yet RDA took Colby down like 3 times. And Poirier and other fighters have taken Gaethje down. You're overestimating his TD defence because of his past traditional wrestling accolades.

1) No one except Khabib has kept Gaethje on the ground more than a few seconds in the UFC
2) 170 pound RDA most likely has a lot more strength (big factor in wrestling). Don't forget his last fights at LW (before moving to WW) were a 1-round KO loss to Alvarez (RDA literally passed out hours before the fight) and the lost to Tony where RDA again had a bad weight cut. Don't assume what he did at 170 can be repeated at 155. Heck I'd love to see Masvidal fight at 155 and have the same KO power he does at WW. I think he's have a good chance at winning the belt. But it doesn't work like that.

Last edited:
RDA isn't over the hill just yet, but Gaethje kills him and Poirier buries him. The McGregor fight is 50/50 though, RDA gets beat up for the first two rounds (unless he gets Conor down), and RDA would beat McGregor up after round 2.

This idea that Conor is always gassed by the 2nd round is a myth. Conor has actually gone 5 rounds and won a fight. That's more than you can say for Gaethje (though he almost did the same vs. Tony). Conor destroys RDA unless the fight hits the ground for an extended time. Conor, Gaethje and Poirier all mess up RDA as long as they're standing.

Probably when he was on a great streak (minus Khabib) and became champ.
Also when he did not have 43 fights and 15 years of mileage.

I'd say RDA's prime was around the time he was champ and could cut to LW without major issues. The Bendo, Pettis and Nate Diaz fights showed him at his best.

While I think TS is overrating the current version of RDA, he's still a solid, well-rounded fighter as long as his weight cut is decent (which it appeared to be vs. Felder). I think he'd be a great first test for Chandler and would be a good win for whoever won. But I don't think Chandler wants that fight. With RDA being a former LW champ and having an incredible resume at LW and WW (he's fought tons of great fighters), Chandler should take that fight if he was offered it, though.

Back