I need some advice Sherbros.

Then add to the fact that you went over Karen's head to get that supervisor offer. I can tell you there's nothing I hate more than when my employee goes over my head. That's a sure way to get on your boss' bad side. So she may fuck you over in all kinds of ways now. If you do stay, then you HAVE to try and win her back. And also the VP now too. But it's an uphill battle so I say that's another point for leaving.

You're right. I am justified in doing it, but you're right nonetheless. I figured if I could deal with her all this time there's nothing she can throw at me that I haven't really seen.

The bigger deal to me is that you described the other job as being in the "hood." Does this affect the quality of student? Because if you have a bunch of jokers that aren't really interested in learning but they just didn't know what to do after high school, so they wound up at the junior college... That could be bad. I've seen this at my local junior college. These fucking losers act like they're in high school and make the teacher's job harder. You shouldn't have to deal with that shit at the college level. So at the very least, hang out at the new campus and get a feel for what the students are like. Ask other professors.

This one isn't my professor job (which ironically has an urban population and those aforementioned "jokers"... but thats neither here nor there. Lol. I'd be dealing with Youth in schools. I mentioned it's in the hood because it tends to be a bit crime-ridden in the area (nothing I'm not used to though). My wife worked there, I go there frequently. I imagine that's why it pays more for a parallel position. The students will likely be as you described but I've worked on places like Newark so while not ideal, it won't scare me. I'm still a black male at the end of the day to put it plainly.

Take promotion. Don’t move to a place you hate. Supervisor roles only suck if the people are retarded or your boss is retarded. Either situation causes retarded stress. If you’ve been a ‘good employee’ you can probably move back to old role. City life sucks. I want to leave.

[This is long so I appreciate if you read through]

TLDR: Supervisor job in my long-time, current company but with "conditions" and a dick-swinging Karen. Or a non-supervisory job in a new organization in an "urban" town.

I'm trying to weigh out pros and cons between 2 jobs. (Mods if I may please request a poll, please?)

I've been with the organization since 2017. A new initiative began this year. Due to my experience, I was strongly encouraged to apply. I joined. They hired a new director and I was the only person "in house". The new director and I were close. He was a well dressed African American gentleman, very skilled speaker, and likeable. He was seldom present though. We hired a supervisor (who'd be my supervisor).

Each supervisor would have 5 employees under them. Being a veteran I was actually teaching a lot to my "superiors" who just joined.

Since he was seldom present the director parted ways with the org. He gave me a heart to heart about how valuable I was and how he somewhat was put on alert to keep an eye on me specifically!

My old supervisor (we'll call her Karen). She js short, loud, somewhat annoying, intelligent, and competent (crosses T's and dots I's).

She is the type who gets all the way off on the job. When I first started she used to always introduce herself to everyone as "the boss". Hi, I'm "his boss!" Instead of just saying her name... it was off-putting. She even used to call her staff her people or "one of mine," which she eventually stopped after people brought to her attention how culturally gauche it was. She eventually got a promotion and so much more power which can only make her ego worse!

She's unmarried, no kids (freezing her eggs soon), makes good money, bought her own house, probably doesn't even get laid. One of those women who puts everything into her career. Truth be told she probably gets off on berating me as a male (being black may not help). She likes to overwhelm herself with stuff and gets off on telling folks she's too busy and doesn't have time to sit with them.
Like anyone else, she isn't all bad. She can be friendly (albeit fake sometimes) shows genuine care from time to time, and like I said, is intelligent... the type of student who was probably a hall monitor or would remind the teacher to collect the homework.

Anyway, even in the short time, staff in this new initiative have come and gone abruptyl. I've been active in bringing staff in. We now have a small crew of recent college grads who look like a college diversity poster. They are a cute little clique. The new supervisor - Afrcian American woman and I get along very well.

Me. As some of yall already know. I have a masters, I'm a very good presenter, humorous, I am friendly/charismafic and one of those dudes who lightens up the office atmosphere. Although I tend to slip sometimes keeping track with too much crap on the calendar. I give a lot in terms of volunteering and creating stuff the company benefits from. Overall I'm very good at what I do.

After training so many new people and these new kids coming in I began to feel underutilized. My coworkers, recognizing my tenure and how good I am, kept asking why I don't go for the director job. I told them "Please, they didn't even offer me supervisor".

After consideration I went for the Sup role. I also got a job offer doing a similar job as my current one. However, that job paid as much as the supervisor one here.

I spoke to a board member that likes me. He counseld me and advised me to talk to our CEO. The CEO of our agency is also a big time politician. She is cool with me too. After some talking, she eventually calls our VP and tells them to give me a 3 month trial period.

The director, Karen, and VP woman sit me in the office. They tell me I do not have supervisory experience and they can give me a trial period but it would be a risk on both of our parts as the grant requires 3 years of supervising. They can move me down to my current position if I "don't make it". I have some official supervision experience (like a year) and in my role acted as the site supervisor during our evening programs. Which I didn't know why they wouldn't count. I also mentor all of the new staff very thoroughly.

I told the other job yes, but would cancel if I stayed here. The other job I wouldn't have to worry about supervising people but this job I can get the supervision experience (and also extra stress). Another benefit is that this one offers is a shitload of vacation time!!! It's absurd. But I can think of the other job as more or less same amount of work for better salary. The other job is also in the city (which I hate) I gotta look for parking, and it's a bit "hood".

Anyway. I've been thinking about it, talking to family/coworkers. Everyone is pretty split. With some saying: fuck them, take the new job! Or the fact that I went over their heads, they'll never let me pass the 90 days and I'll be demoted back to my current position.

Others saying: Nah, take the supervisor job here and ride it through, I can do it.

If I say no to this I'll be slapping the CEO (who advocated for me) in the face. If I turn down the new agency on short notice I'll also feel like a dick, but I gotta do what's best for me. A bird in the hand or 2 in the bush?

head-rub-rub.gif

I appreciate the advice in advance.

Inb4: TLDR

Gamble on yourself and go for the supervisory role. You are clearly capable and competent, and that will shine through during the trial period. If they didn't like you or setting you up to fail, they wouldn't have even bothered going through the hassle of setting up a temporary position (which can often be administratively onerous for the company, so they aren't just going to go around making offers unless there was some element of sincerity)

Get the horniest guy from the "clique" to bang the Karen. This will make her less of a pain.
Then anonymously report their inappropriate work relationship to HR. This will get her and the kid fired.

If I was a dude in a company that is run by that many women, I'd run. You'll always be passed over or held back.

TLDR: Supervisor job in my long-time, current company but with "conditions" and a dick-swinging Karen. Or a non-supervisory job in a new organization in an "urban" town.

I'm trying to weigh out pros and cons between 2 jobs. (Mods if I may please request a poll, please?)

I've been with the organization since 2017. A new initiative began this year. Due to my experience, I was strongly encouraged to apply. I joined. They hired a new director and I was the only person "in house". The new director and I were close. He was a well dressed African American gentleman, very skilled speaker, and likeable. He was seldom present though. We hired a supervisor (who'd be my supervisor).

Each supervisor would have 5 employees under them. Being a veteran I was actually teaching a lot to my "superiors" who just joined.

Since he was seldom present the director parted ways with the org. He gave me a heart to heart about how valuable I was and how he somewhat was put on alert to keep an eye on me specifically!

My old supervisor (we'll call her Karen). She js short, loud, somewhat annoying, intelligent, and competent (crosses T's and dots I's).

She is the type who gets all the way off on the job. When I first started she used to always introduce herself to everyone as "the boss". Hi, I'm "his boss!" Instead of just saying her name... it was off-putting. She even used to call her staff her people or "one of mine," which she eventually stopped after people brought to her attention how culturally gauche it was. She eventually got a promotion and so much more power which can only make her ego worse!

She's unmarried, no kids (freezing her eggs soon), makes good money, bought her own house, probably doesn't even get laid. One of those women who puts everything into her career. Truth be told she probably gets off on berating me as a male (being black may not help). She likes to overwhelm herself with stuff and gets off on telling folks she's too busy and doesn't have time to sit with them.
Like anyone else, she isn't all bad. She can be friendly (albeit fake sometimes) shows genuine care from time to time, and like I said, is intelligent... the type of student who was probably a hall monitor or would remind the teacher to collect the homework.

Anyway, even in the short time, staff in this new initiative have come and gone abruptyl. I've been active in bringing staff in. We now have a small crew of recent college grads who look like a college diversity poster. They are a cute little clique. The new supervisor - Afrcian American woman and I get along very well.

Me. As some of yall already know. I have a masters, I'm a very good presenter, humorous, I am friendly/charismafic and one of those dudes who lightens up the office atmosphere. Although I tend to slip sometimes keeping track with too much crap on the calendar. I give a lot in terms of volunteering and creating stuff the company benefits from. Overall I'm very good at what I do.

After training so many new people and these new kids coming in I began to feel underutilized. My coworkers, recognizing my tenure and how good I am, kept asking why I don't go for the director job. I told them "Please, they didn't even offer me supervisor".

After consideration I went for the Sup role. I also got a job offer doing a similar job as my current one. However, that job paid as much as the supervisor one here.

I spoke to a board member that likes me. He counseld me and advised me to talk to our CEO. The CEO of our agency is also a big time politician. She is cool with me too. After some talking, she eventually calls our VP and tells them to give me a 3 month trial period.

The director, Karen, and VP woman sit me in the office. They tell me I do not have supervisory experience and they can give me a trial period but it would be a risk on both of our parts as the grant requires 3 years of supervising. They can move me down to my current position if I "don't make it". I have some official supervision experience (like a year) and in my role acted as the site supervisor during our evening programs. Which I didn't know why they wouldn't count. I also mentor all of the new staff very thoroughly.

I told the other job yes, but would cancel if I stayed here. The other job I wouldn't have to worry about supervising people but this job I can get the supervision experience (and also extra stress). Another benefit is that this one offers is a shitload of vacation time!!! It's absurd. But I can think of the other job as more or less same amount of work for better salary. The other job is also in the city (which I hate) I gotta look for parking, and it's a bit "hood".

Anyway. I've been thinking about it, talking to family/coworkers. Everyone is pretty split. With some saying: fuck them, take the new job! Or the fact that I went over their heads, they'll never let me pass the 90 days and I'll be demoted back to my current position.

Others saying: Nah, take the supervisor job here and ride it through, I can do it.

If I say no to this I'll be slapping the CEO (who advocated for me) in the face. If I turn down the new agency on short notice I'll also feel like a dick, but I gotta do what's best for me. A bird in the hand or 2 in the bush?

head-rub-rub.gif

Do what's best for you playboy. <Moves>#LFG!

conor-mcgregor-ufc.gif

Gamble on yourself and go for the supervisory role. You are clearly capable and competent, and that will shine through during the trial period. If they didn't like you or setting you up to fail, they wouldn't have even bothered going through the hassle of setting up a temporary position (which can often be administratively onerous for the company, so they aren't just going to go around making offers unless there was some element of sincerity)

I think they only allowed the trial period because I essentially called "big sister" to step in (CEO).

It feels weird saying this from me, a small business owner and previously a manager because it’s the opposite of what I try to attract but honestly, sometimes you need to forget everybody else and look out for you. I spend a ton of money trying to combat this and keep the guys I’ve invested in though.

Middle management is a trap and the idea that if you’ve worked somewhere a long time and haven’t gotten manager, you’re a failure is also wrong. I bought into it enough to seriously go into management and IMO, I did quite well at it but it’s not enjoyable or worth it. I told myself if my name wasn’t on the building or trucks, I would not do it again, quit my job and went all in on my side gig.

You need to do what’s best for you and lose the notion that if you’re not some arbitrary middle manager, you’re a failure. If you can get more vacation, less stress and similar pay I believe it’s a no brainer. The company wouldn’t give you notice if they were to fire you or lay you off.

The only thing I would worry about is a possible upcoming recession. How well off and stable is this new position? If it were a start up or something, I’d avoid it.

If you’re going to leave, go out of your way to give them good notice and thank the CEO for them sticking your neck out for them. Make it clear you appreciate it and just that it’s not for you or whatever. Maybe they’ll make a counter offer.

Alphaboy needs to give the Karen some dick and say something like here is one of mine as he busts a fat nut in her barren womb.

Dick-swingin' Karens are the worst.

They'll turn you out, brah. They'll snitch too.

Avoid at all costs.

didn't read the full scenario, just read the too long didn't read.

smash the karen to establish dominance then take the job with the most money and less stress.

Yea I wouldn't even entertain this new position at your current company. I would want a guarantee.

I've considered everyone's feedback, but I'm beginning to lean toward this. Too old for games.

head-rub-rub.gif

See i simplify it.
The ceo doesn’t care about you, no one does. Do you know how many of them would fire you to get a promotion? All of them.

Look out for yourself. Just take the job that has the best benefits, work life balance, and pay. Stop being so dramatic.

Back