I need some advice Sherbros.

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
[This is long so I appreciate if you read through]

TLDR: Supervisor job in my long-time, current company but with "conditions" and a dick-swinging Karen. Or a non-supervisory job in a new organization in an "urban" town.

I'm trying to weigh out pros and cons between 2 jobs. (Mods if I may please request a poll, please?)

I've been with the organization since 2017. A new initiative began this year. Due to my experience, I was strongly encouraged to apply. I joined. They hired a new director and I was the only person "in house". The new director and I were close. He was a well dressed African American gentleman, very skilled speaker, and likeable. He was seldom present though. We hired a supervisor (who'd be my supervisor).

Each supervisor would have 5 employees under them. Being a veteran I was actually teaching a lot to my "superiors" who just joined.

Since he was seldom present the director parted ways with the org. He gave me a heart to heart about how valuable I was and how he somewhat was put on alert to keep an eye on me specifically!

My old supervisor (we'll call her Karen). She js short, loud, somewhat annoying, intelligent, and competent (crosses T's and dots I's).

She is the type who gets all the way off on the job. When I first started she used to always introduce herself to everyone as "the boss". Hi, I'm "his boss!" Instead of just saying her name... it was off-putting. She even used to call her staff her people or "one of mine," which she eventually stopped after people brought to her attention how culturally gauche it was. She eventually got a promotion and so much more power which can only make her ego worse!

She's unmarried, no kids (freezing her eggs soon), makes good money, bought her own house, probably doesn't even get laid. One of those women who puts everything into her career. Truth be told she probably gets off on berating me as a male (being black may not help). She likes to overwhelm herself with stuff and gets off on telling folks she's too busy and doesn't have time to sit with them.
Like anyone else, she isn't all bad. She can be friendly (albeit fake sometimes) shows genuine care from time to time, and like I said, is intelligent... the type of student who was probably a hall monitor or would remind the teacher to collect the homework.

Anyway, even in the short time, staff in this new initiative have come and gone abruptyl. I've been active in bringing staff in. We now have a small crew of recent college grads who look like a college diversity poster. They are a cute little clique. The new supervisor - Afrcian American woman and I get along very well.

Me. As some of yall already know. I have a masters, I'm a very good presenter, humorous, I am friendly/charismafic and one of those dudes who lightens up the office atmosphere. Although I tend to slip sometimes keeping track with too much crap on the calendar. I give a lot in terms of volunteering and creating stuff the company benefits from. Overall I'm very good at what I do.

After training so many new people and these new kids coming in I began to feel underutilized. My coworkers, recognizing my tenure and how good I am, kept asking why I don't go for the director job. I told them "Please, they didn't even offer me supervisor".

After consideration I went for the Sup role. I also got a job offer doing a similar job as my current one. However, that job paid as much as the supervisor one here.

I spoke to a board member that likes me. He counseld me and advised me to talk to our CEO. The CEO of our agency is also a big time politician. She is cool with me too. After some talking, she eventually calls our VP and tells them to give me a 3 month trial period.

The director, Karen, and VP woman sit me in the office. They tell me I do not have supervisory experience and they can give me a trial period but it would be a risk on both of our parts as the grant requires 3 years of supervising. They can move me down to my current position if I "don't make it". I have some official supervision experience (like a year) and in my role acted as the site supervisor during our evening programs. Which I didn't know why they wouldn't count. I also mentor all of the new staff very thoroughly.

I told the other job yes, but would cancel if I stayed here. The other job I wouldn't have to worry about supervising people but this job I can get the supervision experience (and also extra stress). Another benefit is that this one offers is a shitload of vacation time!!! It's absurd. But I can think of the other job as more or less same amount of work for better salary. The other job is also in the city (which I hate) I gotta look for parking, and it's a bit "hood".

Anyway. I've been thinking about it, talking to family/coworkers. Everyone is pretty split. With some saying: fuck them, take the new job! Or the fact that I went over their heads, they'll never let me pass the 90 days and I'll be demoted back to my current position.

Others saying: Nah, take the supervisor job here and ride it through, I can do it.

If I say no to this I'll be slapping the CEO (who advocated for me) in the face. If I turn down the new agency on short notice I'll also feel like a dick, but I gotta do what's best for me. A bird in the hand or 2 in the bush?

head-rub-rub.gif

I appreciate the advice in advance.

Inb4: TLDR

Option B. Yes, it's definitely B. Or maybe just kill yourself slowly with booze and call it a career. Sounds pretty shitty tbh. So A and B. Probably. Best would be C tho. Or you could marry someone and start a new life. Best of luck.

Take the promotion at your current job. You owe more to them than you do this other random company.

If you wind up getting demoted, it's still probably better than living in some shit city you don't want to be in. I'd rather make less money for comfort and happiness.

If you wind up succeeding, then good on you. I have a feeling people are going to enjoy working under you more than Karen.

Is Karen at least a Boise dime?

Take the promotion at your current job. You owe more to them than you do this other random company.

If you wind up getting demoted, it's still probably better than living in some shit city you don't want to be in. I'd rather make less money for comfort and happiness.

If you wind up succeeding, then good on you. I have a feeling people are going to enjoy working under you more than Karen.

Is Karen at least a Boise dime?

Thanks for the advice. Though I wouldn't move, it would be a commute. My main concern is them trying to fuck with me if I stayed. My uncle told me: If they fuck with you, they know you're willing to leave though.

wWhich was good advice.

And no, Karen isn't a dime... not even close <45>

Thanks for the advice. Though I wouldn't move, it would be a commute. And no, Karen isn't a dime... not even close <45>

Well that's a damn shame. At least be enjoyable to look at if you're gonna be a bitch.

Gotta play Karen at this point. Take the promotion and ask her for advice. If you're just asking basic questions all the time, she's going to get annoyed and think you're incompetent but if you massage her fragile ego, you'll be in the bush with both hands.

Preface every question with some sort of "I noticed how good you are at..." and she'll wind up liking you while giving you valuable information that'll help you succeed.

I think I'd take the supervisory role and then jump ship at the 6 month to 1 year mark. Just having that experience in your CV will open up all kinds of new supervisor positions elsewhere.

The director, Karen, and VP woman sit me in the office. They tell me I do not have supervisory experience and they can give me a trial period but it would be a risk on both of our parts as the grant requires 3 years of supervising. They can move me down to my current position if I "don't make it". I have some official supervision experience (like a year) and in my role acted as the site supervisor during our evening programs. Which I didn't know why they wouldn't count. I also mentor all of the new staff very thoroughly.

^ This part leaves a bad taste in my mouth especially if you have been an employee in good standing for almost 6 years and do have some supervisory experience.

Do you know if they have operated with conditions like that in the past with others?

Which one is likely to leave first, Karen or the "urbanness"?

What are your goals?

Being a supervisor looks good on a resume. I personally hated supervising/babysitting adults, but took a supervisor position for six months when I knew that I would be leaving soon. I was able to pad my resume a little and take a higher paying job elsewhere with less work.

I would never be a supervisor long term though unless all of the people under me would be decent.

My career goal is mostly to make the most money for the least amount of stress.

Take the one that's not an official supervisor role. Being in charge of other adults and being judged based on their work sucks.

^ This part leaves a bad taste in my mouth especially if you have been an employee in good standing for almost 6 years and do have some supervisory experience.

Do you know if they have operated with conditions like that in the past with others?

Those who said no cited the exact same concern!

My career goal is mostly to make the most money for the least amount of stress.
This was going to be my advice.

I've made the leap from employee to supervisor and it adds a whole new level of stress. I wouldn't go back, but if I could've gotten the supervisor pay without taking on the supervisor stress then that would've been a no-brainer.

So that's 1 point for taking the new job.

Then add to the fact that you went over Karen's head to get that supervisor offer. I can tell you there's nothing I hate more than when my employee goes over my head. That's a sure way to get on your boss' bad side. So she may fuck you over in all kinds of ways now. If you do stay, then you HAVE to try and win her back. And also the VP now too. But it's an uphill battle so I say that's another point for leaving.

Now the other job... Parking is a hassle but that really shouldn't be a factor in a decision this big. This is your life.

The bigger deal to me is that you described the other job as being in the "hood." Does this affect the quality of student? Because if you have a bunch of jokers that aren't really interested in learning but they just didn't know what to do after high school, so they wound up at the junior college... That could be bad. I've seen this at my local junior college. These fucking losers act like they're in high school and make the teacher's job harder. You shouldn't have to deal with that shit at the college level. So at the very least, hang out at the new campus and get a feel for what the students are like. Ask other professors.

If the vibe is close to what you're doing now then I would take the new job.

If the vibe is significantly worse, then it may not be worth it.

Stick it out with your current job.

If Karen decides to demote you in 90 days there will be other job opportunities elsewhere down the road.

I would use this potential promotion as a negotiation to increase the salary or benefits of the new job. Then, when they offer you a bit more, you can decline the trial supervisor job by telling them that the new job simply just pays a lot more money (you can lie a little on that) and it won't look like you are not appreciative of their trial promotion period. Everybody understands more money and the logic behind taking that role over the other.

Now, the twist would be if they hear that, and offer you even more money and benefits! Then at that point, you will need to create another thread here and ask for advice with this new info. lol!

Back