I lost one of my best friends today

I'd bet your fiancee said something to A early on in dealing with her father's situation that probably pissed off A. Maybe snapped at her or said something like "How can you understand, your father isn't dying" so A was put off by that and just stopped calling. And then your fiancee didn't think what she said in that moment was a big deal or that A should have understood she was just really stressed and mentally worn out and shouldn't have held it against her.

I just can't see how a supposed best friend hears your father is dying and decides to break off all communication and end the friendship. Something else happened between them at the same time.

Give it time. Hopefully the girls will miss each other and hash it out in a bit. That happened to my ex and her friend when they had a falling out.

One of my brother's best friends passed away a few months ago. It was difficult for him. I haven't said a whisper about it to him, but he silently understands because he is not an irrational human being.

Sounds like everybody in this situation is about 12.

You are not the first to say this and I am getting fed up with how people keep dissing 12 year olds. In what world do 12 year old hold grudges for this long and turn people against each other? 12 year olds seem to have bad rep in this forum for some weird reason

He didn't die but he's as good as dead to me today. It hurts more than I can imagine.

We met when we were freshman in college (we'll call him "R"). We had a connection from the get go and became friends very quickly. One of my female friends from high school went to college with us and he and one of her friends started to get close (we'll call her "A"). They wouldn't have even met had it not been for me but I digress. They had an unspoken, flirty relationship that neither acted on from sophomore year until one of them grew stones to act on it our senior year. In the meantime, I met a girl and we started dating junior year. My girl and this girl hit it off immediately and became great friends. After we graduated, we were both couples and did a lot of things together despite the distance after we all moved away.

In late 2012, my gf's father was diagnosed with AML, an aggressive form of leukemia. They were incredibly close and it was devastating to her. He lasted about 9 months before he succumbed. "A", despite her relationship with my gf, never said a word to her. Not a phone call, text, nothing offering her condolences. This was one of my gf's best friends and she completely turned her back on my gf when her father passed. My gf was very hurt and severed ties with "A". I stayed in touch with "R" but was still hurt by the situation. We were still friends but the relationship changed now that my gf wanted nothing to do with his now fiancee.

R and A got married in April of 2014. I was a groomsman. My now fiancee did not attend as she was still very upset by what happened and the fact she expressed her displeasure with the situation and A never made the attempt to rectify it. My fiancee would have certainly been a bridesmaid to A and R would have been my best man had this clusterfuck not occured. We were that close. I went to the bachelor party and supplied several cases of top quality beer (beer nerds out there...Lagunitas Sucks, Fat Head's Hop JuJu, Ithica Flower Power, Sixpoint Hi-Res, etc. All cases that are $50+ per and I brought like 5-6 cases). Hotel room in AC, expensive dinners, other party expenses, tux rental, and a fairly generous wedding gift ran me well into the thousands on their wedding. Didn't really care, I make a decent living and I'm financially stable. I never thought twice about it. He's one of my best friends. Right?

I got engaged and asked him to be in the wedding. He agreed immediately and I hoped this was a step in restoring the relationship. There was an understated tension between us as a result of my fiancee's father passing and the events that transpired. But still, A had never even attempted to speak to my fiancee and apologize. At his bachelor party, he asked me if his soon to be wife would be invited. I told him that my fiancee was very hurt by the situation and it would upset her if A attended. He understood. My fiancee told him he would be invited with her as a polite courtesy but ultimately, it would be better if she'd not attend.

Today is 1/15/15. My wedding is on 1/24/15...9 days from now. He called me today and basically said that he's been at odds with the idea and that he felt it was time to make a choice. This is a choice I never asked him to make mind you. 9 days before my wedding when things are already bought, paid for, in writing, etc. he tells me he's not coming to my wedding. He went on to say that he understood that this was a decision that there was no coming back from effectively ending our relationship. The hurt I feel right now is terrible. He was like a brother to me...a brother who's wife made some poor choices in life that negatively effected people I love.

It feels like a good day to get shitfaced and vent. Am I wrong in any way, shape, or form here? What could I have handled differently or was this doomed from the get-go?

yo dude how did the wedding go? any progress on the relationship with your bro?

was compelled to bump this thread after a bunch of shit went down between my fiance and her bridesmaid

You are not the first to say this and I am getting fed up with how people keep dissing 12 year olds. In what world do 12 year old hold grudges for this long and turn people against each other? 12 year olds seem to have bad rep in this forum for some weird reason
Hey now. I can get away with it because I'm married to one.

TS' wife negatively associates A with her father's untimely death. There's hardly coming back from that. The only way I see it happening is if the two girls have a serious heart to heart face to face, and maybe they'd do that for their men. If the men could explain to them how much they mean to one another, maybe them broads could see past they own noses.

Until then, you can be secret friends!

yo dude how did the wedding go? any progress on the relationship with your bro?

was compelled to bump this thread after a bunch of shit went down between my fiance and her bridesmaid

Wedding went perfectly. It really was a great day. I haven't spoken to him since. Have no aspirations toward it either. I am sure we will bump into one another at some point since we still have the same circle of friends. So I expect to see him at a wedding down the road but as far as I'm concerned, I don't need him in my life.

Thanks for asking.

Wedding went perfectly. It really was a great day. I haven't spoken to him since. Have no aspirations toward it either. I am sure we will bump into one another at some point since we still have the same circle of friends. So I expect to see him at a wedding down the road but as far as I'm concerned, I don't need him in my life.

Thanks for asking.

as someone going through his own wedding prep drama, did you find yourself thinking about your bro at all on the big day or were you too caught up in the moment of the day to even think about it?

as someone going through his own wedding prep drama, did you find yourself thinking about your bro at all on the big day or were you too caught up in the moment of the day to even think about it?

Didn't give it a second thought during the day itself. Maybe it's my personality to let things like that go and slide off my back but I went about the day and enjoyed the moment. I hope you can as well. Best of luck.

You can't invite one half of the couple and not the other. You guys should have invited both or neither.

Back