• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I kinda have a problem with Wilder’s coaches

Getting back to the topic here. Wilder went into the 3rd Fury fight as the underdog. He was supposed to lose that fight going in and he did. Why wouldn't people credit him for taking that fight after Fury smashed him in the rematch? It's true that by then he didn't have his 0 anymore but that was no calculated risk. It was a stupid one. Initially signing to fight Povetkin in Russia, even if he was his mandatory, was also a highly dangerous fight for him. So, it's not like Wilder never took any risks in his entire career.

Getting back to the topic here. Wilder went into the 3rd Fury fight as the underdog. He was supposed to lose that fight going in and he did. Why wouldn't people credit him for taking that fight after Fury smashed him in the rematch? It's true that by then he didn't have his 0 anymore but that was no calculated risk. It was a stupid one. Initially signing to fight Povetkin in Russia, even if he was his mandatory, was also a highly dangerous fight for him. So, it's not like Wilder never took any risks in his entire career.
Exactly!

It's 100% fair to say his resume and activity is lacking & weak. It speaks for itself.
Its ok to say his fundamentals were lacking and he was a super awkward fighter.

But to totally dismiss every single thing the guy has done or spin it to where he's just some bum off the street with 0 accomplishments is just trying to push a narrative to be right.

not a fan of the narrative that people are saying Helenius is a good win for Joshua and not Wilder, i dont think anyone has ever claimed it was a good win for Joshua, not even sure the fella landed a punch

same with Wallin, he isnt a great fighter or even a very good one IMO, he just should have gotten the win against Fury

i still think even now, if Joshua fought Fury and Wilder, Wilder would be a more dangerous opponent, not back when anyone thought they were prime, im talking about right now, i dont think Fury has anything for Joshua at all, being a big fat fella who wants to wiggle his hips in a corner and lean on people isnt my idea of a great boxer, which i feel Fury has been poorly mislabled as at times

Idk much about Malik Scott as a coach. Average fighter.

But Deontay Wilder seems to have switched his style over to someone who moves around a bunch, almost tried to like….stick and move, and idk who the fuck came up with this idea.

Even in the Helenius KO. He was like dancing around and light on his feet lol

He might be done but imo his coaching and corner advice are doing him no favors

He pretty much had to once people started pressing him more and interfered with his ability to generate life-ending power which he got by stepping into his right hand punch. Once that happened by Fury 2, he really had no choice and had to try to reposition to get his line and distance back so he could punch. Thing is, this started happening in his mid 30s and he never spent much of his career improving his footwork. He was crossing he feet terribly in the Fury rematch. He also doesn't have the physicality to muscle people around like other fighters (Holyfield, Wlad, Fury, etc.). If anything, I'm impressed by Malik Scott. He's trying to make a sand castle without any water and it's turned out about as best as it could.

that's what it appeared to me as too. I've said before, power and it's effectiveness can be something that is tiered, how you can knock a million guys dead and then, suddenly, you seem to have no power. All depends on the quality of the opposition and their chins. That's why I never got wrapped up with his power. Seen too many guys who could knock people dead and overnight, when they started fighting real pros, their streaks ended. Mike Tyson lost his kayo streak the minute he fought a decent contender. Not that he wasn't a puncher but a good fighter has all kinds of ways to cope, including probably just being more durable just to be at a higher level.

For some of those right hands, yeah, they were clean, but some he wasn't able to get any power on like he used to. He gets crowded more. He's lost his ferocity, and his opponents know how to fight him. I think these things factor in, too.

Why isn't he fughting at cruiserweight. He is tinny

Scott claims he was drilling Wilder on avoiding the same punch that laid him out. Like apparently thats the number one thing they were working on in camp.

i dont think Wilder couldve ever beat Zhang at any point in his career because Zhang's head is like a cement block. ive never even seen the guy buzzed before. he just gasses out really quickly.

i dont think Wilder couldve ever beat Zhang at any point in his career because Zhang's head is like a cement block. ive never even seen the guy buzzed before. he just gasses out really quickly.

Joshua floored him when he had headgear on.

Fury is better than the 2 guys he fought. Fury isn't a bum.
Parker also got put down twice by Zhang.

Prime Wilder was literally 6 years ago and 4 brutal beatings ago. Seems like more than just a step up in comp.
The Helenius KO was fool's gold.

But one thing I still will stick up for Wilder on is guys like Helenius on AJs or Fury's resume get counted as quality wins. But when on Wilder's resume they get made out to be bums.
Joshua took the Helenius fight on like 2 weeks notice .

Helenius isn’t a top win for him prior to that however Helenius was viewed as having a punchers chance against Wilder , it’s a decent win for Wilder not Joshua that was a last minute replacement in fact Jermain Franklin would be looked at as being a better name then Helenius just on the fact he went the distance with Joshua and some say he should’ve beat Whyte and he’s not even top 5 for Joshua .

Wilder fighting anywhere below 220 at his age and mileage with the current guys simply isn’t a good idea at all we saw this when he was being bullied by Parker out of all ppl physically who also had Wilder outweighed by a good margin . If hes not going to put the work in physically he needs to go to Bridgerweight or Super Cruiser where guys won’t weigh over 225 .

Two very bad knockout losses back to back means odds were always against him to regain a top guy status bc very few do at heavyweight and he doesn’t have the skills to fall back on , I personally thought he boxed well he was setting up right hand and mixing the body shots up but his chin was in danger from the start and 280 plus Zhang was able to take solid shots , weight does matter here we’re talking a nearly 60 pound difference with someone who can actually box and punch which was always a danger to him he avoided these types , Fury isn’t a real boxer/ puncher .

Yeh that was in the Olympics I think. I've never seen anyone in Zhang's pro career wobble him
Hrgovic dropped him in rnd 9 but for whatever reason the ref called it a slip, replay clearly shows the punch landing on top of Zhangs head . He wasn’t wobbled but enough force to knock him downwards .

the record shows, James Quick Tillis extended Mike and came within a couple rounds of beating him, then we have Mitch Green who wasn't a great fighter but a tough, big guy. Tyson goes back to crushing cans for a bit before fighting more top guys. His Berbick kayo is highlight reel stuff forever but he was extended by Bonecrusher Smith, had to land a zillion punches to take out Pinklon Thomas, Tony Tucker took him to a decision. Joe Frazier had an interesting theory and didn't think Mike hit that hard, Alex Wallau once said it wasn't the power, it was the speed and quickness.

Whatever the case, the downside was that if he hit a Buster Douglas or an Evander and they didn't drop like a sack of potatoes or get scared, he'd be in trouble. Most of the easy kayoes he got are almost all either clubfighters, smaller guys or guys not known for their toughness and durability (Carl Williams). Many other guys he won in his prime by keeping up the workrate that he couldn't later on, not one punch kayoes. He tore Biggs a new asshole but it was a steady beating (which is what he clamed he intended). Ok, he finished some good fighters, he didn't even look to shake up some others. I'm not saying he wasn't a good/great puncher just that it wasn't what his highlight reel would suggest.
Tillis coming close to beating Mike is as close as Fury was to Usyk it’s simply fabricated silliness that fight wasn’t close at all I’ve watched at least 50 times , ppl just wasn’t used to seeing Tyson box and or coast in fights but when Tillis wasn’t hitting air he was just holding for dear life . He was literally winning rnds just fir surviving .

I remember the judges having something against Cus etc in an old interview and weren’t huge Tyson fans but I also remember Tyson stating he could go the distance and was getting annoyed with the questions bc he hadn’t gone past 6 rounds prior to Tillis ,you could see a visibly annoyed Rooney in the corner with what looked like a disinterested Tyson .

Here’s a sparring match between the two in 1987 after that fight and this looks just like the real fight ? Lol

Tillis coming close to beating Mike is as close as Fury was to Usyk it’s simply fabricated silliness that fight wasn’t close at all I’ve watched at least 50 times , ppl just wasn’t used to seeing Tyson box and or coast in fights but when Tillis wasn’t hitting air he was just holding for dear life . He was literally winning rnds just fir surviving .

I remember the judges having something against Cus etc in an old interview and weren’t huge Tyson fans but I also remember Tyson stating he could go the distance and was getting annoyed with the questions bc he hadn’t gone past 6 rounds prior to Tillis ,you could see a visibly annoyed Rooney in the corner with what looked like a disinterested Tyson .

Here’s a sparring match between the two in 1988 years after that fight and this looks just like the real fight ? Lol

it was close enough to where Jimmy Jacobs claimed that it would have been his fault for rushing mike had he lost, he thought it was close.

Back