News I have 2 pet Axolotls and 2 weeks ago they laid eggs. Today I came home and the first egg has hatched

Over two decades ago, there were about 6,000 of these tiny salamanders for every square kilometer in Lake Xochimilco in Mexico City. In the last count from 2014, there were only about 36 axolotls per square kilometer, according to Luis Zambrano, who was involved in the axolotl census.

"It's gotten worse. They're not completely extinct, but it's worse," said Zambrano, who is also an ecologist at the National Autonomous University of Mexico.

Last week, the National Autonomous University relaunched a campaign to virtually adopt an axolotl, which will allow donors to name their salamander and receive a certificate of adoption. There are also options to help pay for an axolotl's meal or its habitat.

The money collected from the fundraiser will go toward conservation efforts to help the population thrive in the wild. The same campaign was launched last year and raised nearly $30,000 — enough to maintain about 40 refuges. But in order for axolotls to return to a healthy population, they will need 10 times that number, according to Zambrano.

are you talking about the axolotis or @Slobodan parents?
I dont think they did much to raise him.
Damn, brutal!

From what I can gleen of the casualness of the ribbing over the years, I'd surmise you two are married, but then I realize that almost no married couple alive enjoys teasing eachother this much

Damn, brutal!

From what I can gleen of the casualness of the ribbing over the years, I'd surmise you two are married, but then I realize that almost no married couple alive enjoys teasing eachother this much

@Slobodan is the worst
THE WORST!
He is a mix between Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot... I mean look wise.

The answer is @lsa is a drunkard and he never remembers any of his stories

Thats not true.
I remember everything!
EVERYTHING!

Except my pin number to my pay card.
Its hard getting old :(

Thats not true.
I remember everything!
EVERYTHING!

Except my pin number to my pay card.
Its hard getting old :(
Good, very good. I hope you forget it during a most inconvenient time.

I’ve updated with some pictures. Still only one has hatched!

Over two decades ago, there were about 6,000 of these tiny salamanders for every square kilometer in Lake Xochimilco in Mexico City. In the last count from 2014, there were only about 36 axolotls per square kilometer, according to Luis Zambrano, who was involved in the axolotl census.

"It's gotten worse. They're not completely extinct, but it's worse," said Zambrano, who is also an ecologist at the National Autonomous University of Mexico.

Last week, the National Autonomous University relaunched a campaign to virtually adopt an axolotl, which will allow donors to name their salamander and receive a certificate of adoption. There are also options to help pay for an axolotl's meal or its habitat.

The money collected from the fundraiser will go toward conservation efforts to help the population thrive in the wild. The same campaign was launched last year and raised nearly $30,000 — enough to maintain about 40 refuges. But in order for axolotls to return to a healthy population, they will need 10 times that number, according to Zambrano.

I had no idea. I took a pair on from my brother because his kids weren’t looking after them too well. I’m gonna do my best with these guys. I’m planning and I have stuff ready, still have to get more like a larger tank etc

Arent those super hard to keep?

Nope. The adults are easy they live in cold water, you have to keep their filter clean and do a water change now and then, but other than that they’re pretty easy. I have a spare room full of junk, thinking about getting all the clutter out of there and getting a massive tank, and then putting the other incubation tanks in there too

Don't the adults risk to cannibalize the little ones ?

I've heard about a female eating it's male ...

Back