News I have 2 pet Axolotls and 2 weeks ago they laid eggs. Today I came home and the first egg has hatched

Don't the adults risk to cannibalize the little ones ?

I've heard about a female eating it's male ...

I think so. That’s why you’re supposed to separate the eggs from the main tank, but even then the younglings eat eachothers limbs… but not to worry! - they grow back the way a lizard regrows its tail

Nope. The adults are easy they live in cold water, you have to keep their filter clean and do a water change now and then, but other than that they’re pretty easy. I have a spare room full of junk, thinking about getting all the clutter out of there and getting a massive tank, and then putting the other incubation tanks in there too

They're not the easiest beginner aquatic pets. If someone really does their research, like learns the nitrogen cycle, it can be done. The biggest PITA is keeping the temperature down.

They're not the easiest beginner aquatic pets. If someone really does their research, like learns the nitrogen cycle, it can be done. The biggest PITA is keeping the temperature down.

I’m in England so it’s not been a problem maintaining the temperature lol

Can you please expand some more?
Most salamanders have three stages, egg, larva and adult. Most larval stage salamanders have external gills and a more paddle shaped tail for their fully aquatic lifestyle. Typically as salamanders age, they will slowly lose their gills as they prepare for a more terrestrial lifestyle.
There are a few species that have evolved to never leave the water and remain in the larval stage for their entire life. You can actually trigger an axolotl to morph into its terrestrial form, although they typically do not live as long once they morph.

Back