International I had a look at couples portrayed in adverts.

650lb Sumo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Method

I looked up the ten biggest supermarket chains in the UK. Starting with the most recent, I watched their ads on their Youtube channels until a fictional present day couple was shown. Once I had seen them I watched that ad to the end and noted down all the couples shown.

Results

(1) Tesco

The couple are White British or at least White British-passing. For brevity I will just refer to White British-passing people as White British from now on.

(2) Sainsburys

A White British woman with a Black woman
A White British couple
A White British lad with a Southern European or South Asian girl

(3) ASDA

White British man with pregnant Black woman

(4) Morrisons

Mixed Race couple

(5) Aldi

White British couple

[Post has to be broken up due to the limit on the number of media items you can put in one post.]

Last edited:
(6) COOP

South Asian man and blonde woman

(7) Lidl

White couple (The advert isn't set in the UK.)

(8) Waitrose

Two Black couples
Light Brown couple
White British couple

(9) Iceland

White British couple

(10) SPAR

Southern European couple
Probable Southern European couple (I have counted them as SE)

Last edited:
Figures

Black men: 2
Black women: 4
White British men: 7
White British women: 7
Light Brown men: 1
Light Brown women: 1
Mixed Race men: 1
Mixed Race women: 1
South Asian men: 1
Southern European men: 2
Southern European women: 2
Southern European/South Asian girls: 1
White but not British men: 1
White but not British women: 1

People depicted: 32
White British people depicted: 14 (44%)
White British people paired with White British people: 10 (31% of the whole, 71% of WBP)
White British people paired with other ethnicities: 4 (13% of the whole, 29% of WBP)

The figure for people who self identify as White British in the UK in 2016 was 80%.

Interracial couples may seem common but the latest figures show they account for only 7% of relationships in England and Wales.

prince-harry-and-meghan-markle.jpg

Last edited:
Here in the states it’s at least 80-90% of commercials. Which is fine. Not representative of the actual population but IDGAF.

What I don’t get is the huge over representation of trannies and queers in commercials. Way higher than the actual representation by magnitudes.

Method

I looked up the ten biggest supermarket chains in the UK. Starting with the most recent, I watched their ads on their Youtube channels until a fictional present day couple was shown. Once I had seen them I watched that ad to the end and noted down all the couples shown.

Results

(1) Tesco

The couple are British or at least British-passing. For brevity I will just refer to British-passing people as British from now on.

(2) Sainsburys

A British woman with a black woman
A British couple
A British lad with a Southern European or South Asian girl

(3) ASDA

British man with pregnant Black woman

(4) Morrisons

Mixed race couple

(5) Aldi

British couple

[Post has to be broken up due to the limit on the number of media items you can put in one post.]

So, you're not British if you're not white? GTFO.

What the fuck is british passing?

Never mind I did some googling. it's about people who look and behave like a stereotypical brit.

First I assumed they were tourists or expats. Like if I was passing through Africa in my car, that would make me Africa passing.

Fuck I'm stupid, it was so obvious.

<36>

Last edited:
Back