I got my Black Belt

Im computer illiterate so I cant post pics.

Man, don't worry that, you're now a BJJ scholar! I'd gladly exchange my keyboard wars for a black belt... Congratulations on the huge achievement!

Thanks again! Actually I just realized I trained in Brazil and got my Black Belt in the same year! 2010 has been a hell of a year.

Anyone know off hand when the next few gi tournaments are?

congratulations, impressive feat to say the least!

Congrats! At what point did you know you'd get your black belt one day?

Honestly, the first time I put that gi on.

I borrowed one of my brother's (who had been training at Machado Tarzana for about 6 months) and went to a class.

My first class I remember clear as day. I was 16. Jean Jeacques,John, and Rigan Machado with Renato Magno were all teaching. The first techniques were the baseball bat choke, and a couple passes.

Once free rolling started, I was paired up with another white belt, who used the baseball bat choke we just learned on me. I was so tired after the techniques and about 6 mins of free training it was pathetic, so I went to go get some water between opponents and to gather my thoughts. Jean Jeaques politely stopped me and said I could get water later, then paired me with a female blue belt named "Tina."
After "Tina" triangled me 3 times I realized this was something I truly had to learn.

I havent stopped since. Jiujitsu is and always has been one of the most influential things in my life.

Awesome. As a lowly white belt I can only hope to one day be where you are.

If you can't get it figured out, feel free to email them to brian @ belatucadros.net

I'll post them

Honestly, the first time I put that gi on.

I borrowed one of my brother's (who had been training at Machado Tarzana for about 6 months) and went to a class.

My first class I remember clear as day. I was 16. Jean Jeacques,John, and Rigan Machado with Renato Magno were all teaching. The first techniques were the baseball bat choke, and a couple passes.

Once free rolling started, I was paired up with another white belt, who used the baseball bat choke we just learned on me. I was so tired after the techniques and about 6 mins of free training it was pathetic, so I went to go get some water between opponents and to gather my thoughts. Jean Jeaques politely stopped me and said I could get water later, then paired me with a female blue belt named "Tina."
After "Tina" triangled me 3 times I realized this was something I truly had to learn.

I havent stopped since. Jiujitsu is and always has been one of the most influential things in my life.

Haha that's awesome, I've been thinking about goin to a class for sometime now and I just haven't found the time, But i'll be starting pretty soon

I seriously would wear mine around ALL the time, even at home, but that's years and years and years from now.

CONGRATS ON YOUR BLACKBELT!!!! That's really inspiring!!

hehehehehe

I would to...i would have that thing on everywhere.

Congratulations man! What an achievement. I can't wait until the day that I also reach the black belt level. It's something I'm sure will be one of the greatest moments of my life as well. Enjoy the moment!

That's awesome. Rolling back in the 90's must have been wild, sure you have some crazy stories.

Damn I'm tired of all these "I just got my black belt" threads... We dont need to know about every minor progression in your BJJ career! I'm playing, man! That's awesome! Congratulations on a major accomplishment in life... Very few people who train will ever make it as far as you have.

A couple of questions... Now that you have the bb, are you still planning on competing? Do you teach now or are you planning on starting to teach (or opening up your own school)?

Congrats mate!

have you got all your old belts still and are you going to get one of those display boards so you can hang them up etc??

did you train at the same school your entire life?? or did you change?

Damn I'm tired of all these "I just got my black belt" threads... We dont need to know about every minor progression in your BJJ career! I'm playing, man! That's awesome! Congratulations on a major accomplishment in life... Very few people who train will ever make it as far as you have.

A couple of questions... Now that you have the bb, are you still planning on competing? Do you teach now or are you planning on starting to teach (or opening up your own school)?

I know man, between the BB and whitebelt with a new stripe thread, it's crowding out this board:icon_chee

I do like these legit BB threads, we have had a few silly fakes here before.

To answer a few questions:

Yes rolling back in the 90s was awesome, but I was still a beginner and prob couldnt appreciate the skill level. I have seen the game change dramatically though. For example, a white belt would rarely tap a blue, and a blue would rarely tap a purple, and so on..the belts really held their integrity. Nowadays you see lowers tapping higher belts more than you would think.

I have also seen the way training has changed. The champions back then trained hard, but I think today its just a little different. I had the privelage of rolling with Romulo Barral last year. He ran through everyone in class in 12 minute rounds, and I was first. I think I tapped 10-12 times in my round, and felt I have never rolled a day in my life. He freakin killed me and I felt like a sexual assault victim after. Then he did it to everyone else and I struggled to regain my composure. After he was done rolling, he started hitting the rope and then smashing on a tire with a sledge hammer for a few rounds. To me it looked insane, but thats why I is so good I presume. Champs now are just monsters.

I have taught as a fill in instructor for years. I also teach at my job, and have coached teams at grappling events and things like that. I would love to open my own school. That has always been a dream.

Back