I don't understand why opponents fight Poatan technically...

FrankDux

Sherdog Resident Shookologist
@Brown
Reaction score
My boi Jiri did it (twice). Hill. Sean. They all came into the fight trying to fight him in a technical stand-up. Cats out of the bag. You can't fight Alex that way. He's gonna embarass you. He's just too good in that respect. You gotta get ugly with it. Start fast. Feint level change. Blitz. Borz style. Swang and bang. Level change. Just bleed.

Your method could also very easily lead to them getting KOed ASAP.

If you're well-rounded, you're better off making it an MMA fight from the get-go...and not a boxing/kick-boxing match.

I don't understand why opponents fight Poatan technically...​

Not every one can be a good technical brawler. Being a blind brawler like early Justin Gaethje and Ion Cutelaba gets you koed very often too.

Hill typically is a technical striker so he just fought Pereira where he was strongest. Jiri did what you're suggesting their first fight. It ended up with his ass getting dropped and hellbowed.

It is what it is.

Jiri tried to take him down in both fights. Failed. The Strickland and Hill fights ended so fast that there's not much to take from them, but neither have showed takedown skills that I'm aware of so the same likely would have happened even if the fights didn't end so fast.

My boi Jiri did it (twice). Hill. Sean. They all came into the fight trying to fight him in a technical stand-up. Cats out of the bag. You can't fight Alex that way. He's gonna embarass you. He's just too good in that respect. You gotta get ugly with it. Start fast. Feint level change. Blitz. Borz style. Swang and bang. Level change. Just bleed.
images

Maybe the UFC doesn't want to match him up with someone that can wrestle/grapple.

Jan who isn't the best wrestler/grappler arguably won the fight doing just that....

Yeah I understand what you're saying, Alex has sooooooo much experience in striking and they are being very technical with him. What Rountree needs to do is mix it up, plain and simple, Rountree likes to throw a lot of kicks though which I feel is gonna play right into Alex's hands, and its gonna be slow paced. Rountree throws kicks a lot at everyone but I just don't see it working with Alex because the skill gap is big

because the UFC wouldn't dare put Poatan in there with a decent grappler? it would be Stipe vs Ngannou 1 all over again. ha ha

Jiri fought Poatan technically?

Back