i don't now why

batman69

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i don't know why, but i feel the need to stir up some shit. i've noticed a lack of ryan hall threads which seems to coincide with him not even placing at yet another pan americans.

BJJ > Judo. Kimura was on teh juice.

i don't know why, but i feel the need to stir up some shit. i've noticed a lack of ryan hall threads which seems to coincide with him not even placing at yet another pan americans.

That guy never seems to do well at the major competitions. I don't understand it. How does he tap all these sick black belts, and then not even medal at purple belt in the Pan Ams? I guess his gi game is falling too far behind his nogi game.

That guy never seems to do well at the major competitions. I don't understand it. How does he tap all these sick black belts, and then not even medal at purple belt in the Pan Ams? I guess his gi game is falling too far behind his nogi game.

Definitely, he needs to focus more on gi.

how and to who did he lose to? and how many matches did he have?

my teacher tells me this all the time. Take a BJJ guy out of the gi and he'll be comforatable, put a no-gi in the gi and watch him strugle. This doesn't apply to someone who trains both cause your learning both. Its a different game...well, slightly

Ryan lost to Chace Wheaten at the Pan Ams, in (I think) his third match. Chace trains with the Alliance team and is a legitimate badass. The match was close, and very exciting.

Ryan hall is a great techinician.. and smooth player.

I know the kid has a lot of haters.. and i think his biggest short coming is he is not very agressive, and he doesnt have the physical power needed to supplement that agression.

Technique is great - but when you have to fight 6-7 fights to win your divisions.. being a hard headed, cut throat will get you through those last couple of fights when your exhuasted.

Like I've always said, he doesn't have solid basics and foundation. He has an incredibly dangerous game without a gi, but his upside down guard and leglock game are both easily defendable or nonexistent in a gi game.

Like I've always said, he doesn't have solid basics and foundation. He has an incredibly dangerous game without a gi, but his upside down guard and leglock game are both easily defendable or nonexistent in a gi game.

exactly!

I think part of the problem may be that his conditioning and athleticism are suspect. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is likely to thrive in a 5 or 6 match tournament setting.

just for the record, i'm in no way trying to bash ryan or his skills. from what i've seen he's seems like a good guy with the skills to pay the bills, even if he's also involved in the thing known as the irvin marketing machine. his no gi abilities are with out question.

i started this thread as more of a jab at the previous threads where the moment he tapped yet another black belt or renowned no gi grappler someone would run to this site and post about it. just thought it funny, that no one was even talking about his failing to even place yet again on the big stage.

Hay, is it true you're looking for a match against him?

Back