I don't like the term diet...so um...lifestyle choice?

Bizz

cbjerrisgaard
Reaction score
Diets to me imply fads to lose weight in general....be it muscle weight or fat weight.

Anyway so I have been getting advice from lots of nice people and I figured I would run this lifestyle choice past you.

I am starting to work out again, joining a boxing / kickboxing class this weekend etc etc

My days will look somthing like this

Mon - Fri:

Wake up and hit the gym at 6am...mostly cardio (bike, row, stairs, some free weights).
Work
Boxing / Kickboxing class (not on Friday night though, Mon - Thru)

Saturday

Boxing / Kickboxing

Sunday

Rest
----------------------------------------

So thats the routine for working out.

As far as food I've started doing things similar to this.

6am - Bowl of Vector or All Bran

9am - Apple (or orange....grapefruit etc)

12pm - Six inch turkey sub on brown (for example...or some chicken / lamb skewers or somthing(

3pm - Apple / other fruit / Raw vegies / mixed nuts (no peanuts)

6pm (ish) - Sashimi Salad / rost chicken and salad / etc etc (no carbs past 4pm)

-----------------------------------------

Right now I'm about 280 - 300 and 6'3 (6 months of 80 hour weeks killed my health...and it wasnt great to begin with)

My goal is to be 200 - 215 in six months with good cardio and a better all around lifestyle.

I currently drink to much as well, but that is changing. I am going to limit myself to a couple glasses of wine or some straight hard booze on one of my nights off (Friday or Saturday)... not every week but I still want to retain a nice social life and admit to loving a nice drink haha.

Thoughts?

So, you eat while you're at the gym?

Same time range dude lol.

The gym is downstairs...it takes 2 mins to eat a bowl of cerial.

Would you perfer I say 5:58am eat breakfast 6am gym?

Ahh, just busting your chops, man. No offense.

its all good

It would make more sense if I clairifed that fact my gym is in my apartment building (and by no means a fancy gym...bike, stairs, row, universal, free weights)

I have the same type of situation, but my gym is in a room in my house... and it's less of a gym than simply some dumbbells, olympic bar and weights, and a bench, so it's easy for me to eat right after I work out. I tend to not feel too well when I eat as soon as I wake up, though, especially when it's right before a workout.

farmboy said:
So, you eat while you're at the gym?

I do, but then again my gym is at my house. :D

I usually have a banana, a handful of oatmeal cookies (no icing), and few bottles of water with me when I'm working out. I snack between exercises. Then after my workout, it's a whey protein shake and another banana. 30 minutes later, a pb&j sandwich. 1 hour after that is my regular dinner meal.

farmboy said:
I tend to not feel too well when I eat as soon as I wake up, though, especially when it's right before a workout.

I've never been a morning person. Even after 8 years in the Army, I still hate getting up early to workout. I find that I get better workouts in the evening after work, but I know everybody is different in what works for them.

Admitedly I am not a morning person either but...

Once i get in a schedual and a routine I don't even think about it. It just becomes second nature.

Also the past few days I have been doing this I feel a lot better about my day. Once 7 rolls around and I go have a shower I have a lot more energy for my day and I feel much more sharp.

Plus bookending my day with work outs is going to help me reach my goals. I don't want to make it sound like I got and hammer out a MAJOR workout or anything at 6am. I hit cardio to get the blood moving and the heart going for the day. The evening boxing / kickboxing classes are what I think will make the difference.

Also a couple more things... I'm 22 and do not know my actualy weight because I do not own a scale and the doctors apointment I booked is still a few days off. My estimate is due to a few differnt times I hit a scale at somones house. About a month ago it said 280, but maybe a month before that it said 300....different scales at different times and different places, thus I estimate that I am floating between the two weights.

The word "diet" refers to your caloric intake for the day and the respective sources.

I just didnt want to give the wrong impression about what I am trying to do. I'm not going to do this for a couple months to drop some pounds and go back to normal spiral of fucking over my health.

Hence I chose not to use the term diet althought it would be correct as long as the person knew the proper context.

First, nail down your weight to a more precise range. Are you just guessing or what?

Second, how many calories is in that diet? I like the overall scheme, but considering you're working out now, that doesn't look like nearly enough for a 300 pound man, even one losing weight.

Third, a couple glasses of wine every day is much better than (even less alcohol consumed) a bunch of straight hard liquor on the weekends. Are you drinking for a pleasure of the palate or to get smashed? Make a choice right now, or you'll mix both.

I agree with Madmick on the eating, your plan sounds good, but in my semi-profensional opinion it doesn't sound like enough calories for a 300er.

The reason I havent nailed down my weight is in another post. Basicaly it was an estimate of between two different times in two different places. My doctors apointment is set for the 9th of DEC (due to the fact he is uber busy).

Anyway I will go sneak over to my old mans place...or maybe see if somone will let me in at the gym at work to see how much I weigh. Would you recomend I up my caloric intake? I mean up it with good thing obvisouly...no more crap in my life. I find right now I just cant eat that much but also please keep in mind I just started doing morning work outs this week, sign up for the boxing gym tommorow...start on saturday. If I feel the need to eat more I will, probably up the size of my "snacks" that way I have a constant stream of food instead of larger lump, little bit, larger lump, little bit, larger lump.

Thanks for the input guys, its realy apreciate. Any more advice would be great. If not ill keep trolling the fourms and keep you guys updated on how I'm doing.

-C

I am in a simmilar situation. 5'11 250 work out 3-5 times a week and am not losing weight when by my calculations i should be.

Maybe we are both not getting enough cal itake and it is hampering muscle retention. (posibly stupid theory if so soeone tell me.

Bizz said:
I just didnt want to give the wrong impression about what I am trying to do. I'm not going to do this for a couple months to drop some pounds and go back to normal spiral of fucking over my health.

Hence I chose not to use the term diet althought it would be correct as long as the person knew the proper context.

I think the people on this board could figure it out. Also, to frank, I'm your height and have the opposite problem. I can't gain weight for anything. I guess it just depends on your metabolism.

Bizz said:

If you make it a lifestyle change it will last. Diets don't work. That fact that you figured this out means there's hope for you. Good luck.

rfrankb4 said:
I am in a simmilar situation. 5'11 250 work out 3-5 times a week and am not losing weight when by my calculations i should be.

Maybe we are both not getting enough cal itake and it is hampering muscle retention. (posibly stupid theory if so soeone tell me.

If muscle retention were hampered, the result would also be lost weight (an undesired loss of weight).

What are your calculations?

Back