I dont do bagwork hardly anymore

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
It teaches you to hit harder, but it doesn't help you hit a moving target. I started having a lot more success when I stopped hitting heavybags. Mind you I have been hitting bags since I was about 5 years old (I am 25 now) and at this point, it just inflames my shoulders. I noticed much more fluidity and accuracy when I stopped doing bag work and did more shadowboxing.

It is good for cardio, but sparring is more specific. Pad work is good for accuracy if someone does it right.

Shadowboxing, sparring, drills, padwork, and running/cycling are what works for me.

Well, YOU have to move in front of the heavybag.
Protip: Install 3 Heavybags with 3 different pictures on it like this one:

for maximun results and simulation of real life combat.

But OT, yep. Everything has some downsides. I still prefer the heavy bag and sparring.
I miss the resonance doing shadowboxing for a longer time.

It teaches you to hit harder, but it doesn't help you hit a moving target. I started having a lot more success when I stopped hitting heavybags. Mind you I have been hitting bags since I was about 5 years old (I am 25 now) and at this point, it just inflames my shoulders. I noticed much more fluidity and accuracy when I stopped doing bag work and did more shadowboxing.

It is good for cardio, but sparring is more specific. Pad work is good for accuracy if someone does it right.

Shadowboxing, sparring, drills, padwork, and running/cycling are what works for me.

You stopped completely? Do you still hit as hard?

there are many different types of punching bags, they all work different things. I would never remove bagwork from my training routine.

As far as boxing goes... it's the footwork that intrigues me.

Sparring by boxing is a highly involved process... and typically doesn't work to build skills. I think boxing sparring takes a lot of measured instruction.

Otherwise, you end up looking guud... but aren't really.<4> Too many skills coming together under one roof.

Well, my friend, you might not have been working the bag for 20 years. The bag might have been working you.

All jokes aside, I have used bags that didn't move much as they were in the standing frames, but bags that swing freely from the ceiling can move and you have a target to adjust to.

The heavy bag, like any tool, is good for what it's meant for.

Honestly, even sparring, if not structured properly can have negative effects on a guy. If they only spar hard, they learn bad reflexes and habits; if they only spar easy, then they don't get the real feel of a scrap. If you always spar people better than you, you have a hard time capitalizing on opportunities made from mistakes made by equal or lesser sparring partners or opponents.

Bagwork helps to train your strength and accuracy, so much so, I wouldn't give it a miss.

However, bagwork does not train your technique. It is much better to shadowbox or spar, so valid distractions are present.

If you want to improve your technique sharply through shadowboxing, watch the video below:

You been hitting it wrong then

Try bag drills with an array of different types of bags

I had a 6-foot/ mini /teardrop and uppercut bag attached to an outdoor setup with a speed bag and a movement bag on each end

I will concede that pads are always better but this is the next best thing

You been hitting it wrong then

Try bag drills with an array of different types of bags

I had a 6-foot/ mini /teardrop and uppercut bag attached to an outdoor setup with a speed bag and a movement bag on each end

I will concede that pads are always better but this is the next best thing

No it's not...

It doesn't translate well into fighting at all, it does exactly what OP suggested.

Strength and Conditioning, not Technique.

I do think there is specificity problems with the heavy bag. I think ultimately, it maps better to the body than to the head obviously. You probably could over train the heavybag that you are training to be powerful but inaccurate.
What I find makes me more and more accurate is a double end bag that you make the bag smaller and smaller over time. If you get a band for lifting, you can make your own double end bag with duct tape and some kind of filler that is better than a commercial one IMO. The one I train on that I made is basically a fist sized bag at body level and a fist sized bag at chin level. So like a mini mexican double end. The next one I make is going to have a slightly longer body bag but I am going to try to rig up a golf ball for the chin part.

You stopped completely? Do you still hit as hard?

I stopped doing it all the time. I still hit it maybe once a week for the feeling, but it is no longer a primary training tool.

My hooks probably have less pop, but I am quicker and less stiff so it was worth it.

Back