Opinion I don't believe in democracy (yes, I am being serious)

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
I was toying with the idea of making this thread (and perhaps even posting about it in the War Room), but I don't want get dragged into an argument defending my position. I recognize that 99% of people will not agree, and there are men and woman who fought and died so that I could have the right to vote, so I don't have any allusions that I am going to convince people of my position.

With that being said, I don't believe in democracy, and have never voted. The latter has more to do with ineffectual politicians and a selection of poor candidates, but at my core, I just don't think everybody's opinion is of equal worth. Watching the situation surrounding COVID unfold, and seeing just how ill informed and stupid some people can be (and this refers to both the public and our decision makers), I am left troubled that a person peddling bleach as a solution to the virus, has the same say as a trained epidemiologist.

Overwhelmingly, the people I know vote for emotional or partisan reasons. While I can't say for certain, I would say the majority of voters fall into this category. Quiz people on actual policy positions, or ask them to make informed comments on their preferred parties agendas, and you will get back very little of actual value interms of insight. The same people who complain about shitty infrastructure and access, scream murder when taxes are raised. The same people who want to implement protectionist measures to keep jobs "American/Canadian", don't understand why the cost of living goes up.

I will be the first person to admit that outside of some very specific issues, I don't think I am informed enough to have a say on most issues. Yet, my vote counts just as much on issues that don't affect me, or know anything about. While I suppose the solution to his would be to try and become an informed voter, the challenge is that there is a wealth of misinformation, noise and the average person simply isn't equipped to gather, interpret and discern between credible/uncredible information. A casual glance at Twitter feeds or War Room posts demonstrate just how easy it is to desseminate disinformation and exploit emotional responses. Facts and data don't matter, as long as people can find that one supporting voice that validates their asinine opinion.

While it is not particularly PC to say this, most people are dumb/ignorant, and should not have any sort of bearing on what policies should be. I am not trying to be an intellectual elitist, I include myself in that "dumb/ignorant" category for anything that isn't rooted in my academic or vocational training. As noted above, outside of handful of issues, my opinion is worthless.

To further compound these problems, political leaders are just as dumb. I have had the opportunity to advise the last three federal ministers of the environment on issues, and literally none of them had a background in the environment. Our political systems plays musical chairs with our elected officials, rotating people in and out of "portfolios" as a way to reward or punish members of a party. Does it make sense to you to do a cabinet shuffle, and turn the environment minister into the education minister, and the finance minister into the indigenous affairs minister? (These are Canadian examples, but the same thing happens in America). The answer should be HELL NO, but for whatever reason, that is how we organize our political system, and these are the people we are entrusting to do what's right for the country.

Not everybody is made equal, and not everybody's opinion is equal. In my "ideal" world, we would appoint people based on a meritocracy - people with the skills, training and desire to serve in a particular role, will be the ones who help inform and shape policy in those areas. It boggles my mind that Ben Carson is somehow the secretary of housing, when the guy is a famed neurologist. I don't care what anyone says, that is dumb.

I felt the need to get this off of my chest, as the pandemic has really brought out the stupid in people. The never ending series of lies, misinformation, conspiracy theories, finger pointing etc. etc. has further deteriorated my already diminishing belief in elected officials and the public. Reading literally thousands of Twitter users denounce world renowned scientists, but embrace random conspiracies from a Youtube Podcaster makes me wonder whether COVID is nature's way of doing a cull on humanity.

I started to read all that just so i could say something about reading all of it and regretting reading all of it but i quit about three sentences in and i regret reading that far.

cliffs? aint anybody got time for reading dat.

giphy.gif

I've had very similar feelings myself. The alternative can get mighty squirrelly might fast though. This weird popularity contest of fake characters judged by strangers is probably the best option. I think the reason being because we can get our shit together and educate ourselves as a society and we can fix the biggest problems of the system. Will it happen? Probably not while America is worth living in. But the option is there and it's our fault if we don't take it.

yeah democracy in the executive is bullshit, my ideal government is a militaristic monarchy where the executive is taken by the commander with most seniority, but on the local municipal level, elections, judges and sheriffs elected, all other officials selected by the military monarch

i would also add religious zeal to the regime, in order to maintain order from the churches in the local level

libertarian policies all around, low taxes, guns for everyone, death penalty and public punishment, no prison and no jail time.

What I want is a good, strong monarchy with a tasteful and decent king who has some knowledge of theology and geometry and to cultivate a Rich Inner Life.

<mma4>

I read through the first 5 paragraphs, then after that I felt like I was reading a book.

Corruption exists at the highest levels of government and trickle down economics is a complete fraud.

Last edited:
The vast majority of people are fucking idiots, but they're also citizens.

Give me a geniocracy or give me death.

One of the main issues with politics is that there is too much money involved. Politicians all sell their soul At some point.

In my "ideal" world, we would appoint people based on a meritocracy - people with the skills, training and desire to serve in a particular role, will be the ones who help inform and shape policy in those areas.

But one of your thesis is that virtually no-one has an expert understanding on the wide range of issues in modern politics/society.

So how would we know how to appoint "the best" when no-one is qualified to judge such proficiencies?

And if departments picked their leaders internally without accountability from outside sources... well, obviously such a set-up would go super-corrupt very fast.

Also, if these "the best" were appointed. What would prevent them from not following human-instinct and start serving themselves instead of the people like Monarchs of old? After all, they have no accountability since their ascent there was entirely meritocratic and not dependent on other powers. Be the best then live like Kings.

Last edited:
I mean, the fact that democracy at least makes people act as if they have some agency is reason enough that it’s better than the alternatives.

But yeah, it seems rare for people to participate in politics an educated and rational way.

I’m not sure it’s stupidity so much as a sense of entitlement. People feel like their opinion should be valued the same as the next guy’s, because it’s a right, not something to be earned through enquiry.

Back