I didn't enjoy Hopkins Calzaghe

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by carpediem, Apr 19, 2008.

1. carpediem

carpediem Blue Belt

Whilst I was pleased to see the brits get one back I found this fight difficult to watch. Hopkins should retire IMHO. Yes it is impressive that he can avoid getting messed up by these younger guys but look at how he does it. If the ref actually enforced the rules then his main tactics are gone.

He had an absoluted death grip on Calzaghe's arms, used the head, engaged in holding and hitting then he bitches about glancing blows to the back of the head when he is thre reason Calzaghe can't work properly.

Hopkins has done well from this sport and he can say what he likes, bottom line I wouldn't pay to see him fight again.

2. FIGHT FAN

FIGHT FAN Brown Belt

hopkins only cares about winning, by any means possible. he really has no shame.

3. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Cal was just as dirty as Hop in this bout. Lets not pretend that Hop was in there turning something scientific into something street all by himself.

4. boxer steve

boxer steve Brown Belt

I thought it was terrible three punches and a clinch. repeat for 12 rounds. The purse should have went to the ref. he was the one that worked the hardest.

5. FIGHT FAN

FIGHT FAN Brown Belt

joe was just as bad. he didnt commit anything to his flurries, and decided to run in wildly and clinch. joe pushed hopkins around, and bernard didnt like it.

6. Diomedes

Diomedes Black Belt

As someone already pointed out in the fight discussion thread, Hopkins can sure work in a nice guillotine choke.

7. carpediem

carpediem Blue Belt

Well I for one don't blame Joe, what would you do if you were boxing someone who ignored the rules? It doesn't leave you much choice.

8. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

didnt say I blamed him, but people are talking like Hop was the only dirty fighter in the ring. They took it to the streets...both of them.

9. Kamehameha

Kamehameha Boricua

that was one of the sloppiest fights i've ever seen

Bernard never has been a big fan of the jab and it was a big void in this fight where he could have used it very effectively against Joe who kept comin in w/ his hands down or flailing away w/ wide punches. Joe had a free toll in the fight, as Bernard would let him come in constantly w/o throwing a punch (and then would punch while in a clinch).

it reminded me somewhat of where Mayweather kept trying to time Hatton coming in and when he actually used a jab and combos, Hatton was nothing. U can't beat a volume puncher w/ just one punch and not even timing the guy. horrible plan by Hopkins.

10. carpediem

carpediem Blue Belt

Maybe so, it seems to me a lot of the comments re Cal fighting 'dirty' are being made by people who just don't like the guy (for whatever reason). I didn't see it personally.

11. Skuf

Skuf Purple Belt

Did it go 12 rounds? I had 2 f'ing power cuts

12. carpediem

carpediem Blue Belt

Yes it did and Hopkins looked old towards the end. I think him making such a big deal about saying he clearly won is something he does to keep his name out there. Its like as long as he believes it he will keep fighting.

13. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

I like Hopkins but the overacting after the low blow was a little too much. And his reaction after the fight like it was an obvious victory for him has always been something that bothers me about him. Whether you scored this fight for Hopkins or not, it wouldn't be what I consider a clear cut victory.

14. Czechvarmander

Czechvarmander Green Belt

I can understand not enjoying the fight, it's not as if it was fabulous.

However the fight went largely like it was expected to, and in that way I'm not sure you can bash it too much.

Hopkins fought in Hopkins style, if you didn't like it what were you really expecting?

15. Emporio Alnino

Emporio Alnino only the results!

Yep.

16. Phanekim

Phanekim Green Belt

THis was exact outcome almost everyone expected. Calzaghe's energy being too much for hopkins and it being a decision, the early ko made things more interesting. ON my card i had joe winning by a point. 7 rds to 5. with the ko that made it a 1 pt joe win.

I thought hopkins landed the power shots early and that kind of wore on joe. however, hopkins was pressured and got tired noticably in the last 5 rounds and was completely overwhelmed and did some really dirty tactics late in fight.

Of course this was sort of all predicted. Bring on pavlik.

17. TysonKOKing87

TysonKOKing87 White Belt

This is another hugely hyped boxing match that fell short. It wasn't exciting, just a tactical match. This is what is killing boxing, fans want to see a war, which is why they shell their money for these events. I know this was on HBO but still it was another poor deliverly from boxing.

18. SOXGUY80

SOXGUY80 Green Belt

Agreed!!! Very hard to watch although the last few rounds were somewhat exciting.

19. bradlee180

bradlee180 Banned Banned

Every long-time boxing fan knew what kind of match they'd get when the match was first announced months ago.
    I don't think any long-time boxing fans was expecting much.

20. Czechvarmander

Czechvarmander Green Belt

Seriously, what did you expect from these two fighters? It went exactly as it looked like it would before hand.

I mean chocolate ice cream is my favorite, however before I have strawberry ice cream I am able to discern that it is in fact strawberry ice cream, and that it will taste as such when I do eat it. Heck I'm even able to appreciate strawberry ice cream when it's tactical and both spoons are top notch and give it their all.....which is where my food ****phor fell apart.

If you expected chocolate ice cream going into this fight then it's on you for not educating yourself to what was about to go down.

Nothing is "killing" boxing, boxing is on fire worldwide.