I could use some advise

jjfishing

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am very interested in starting BJJ and Mt. I have a great gym close to home. My problem is I am very out of shape - 5'9" 250lbs. Would I be better off working on my conditioning before joining the gym, or just sucking it up and doing everything together. Thanks for any feedback.

*Decides not to make joke about thread title*

Go a couple of runs first. If you're that out of shape, getting the most out of a standard BJJ or MT class won't be possible because you'll die during the warmups.

what are your goals?

lose weight? get healthy? look good? or focus on a martial arts perspective?

Get in shape first, unless you're a fast,flexible, well conditioned 250.

you will get in shape from the class. If the instructors are worth ANYTHING they will understand that people have different goals and all kinds of fitness levels. They wont kill you but you should expect to work a bit out of your comfort level. You should start noticing results by around week two. At least as far not being as sore when you get up the next day, not getting as tired durring class etc. However, I would suggest that if they do two one hour classes back to back, only do the first one for at least the first week. You may feel like you can do two hours right off the bat, but you will pay the next day.

Have thick skin. Class will get you in shape in time but you may feel stupid when you can't keep up. If you set a goal to get in shape first, it's just another reason to push back joining BJJ & MT.
If you don't have M.A. experience, you're gonna find out that it's not like what you see on TV. It takes time to get your body to move the right way. Especially your hips in BJJ.
Anyway, like Tellis said, start slow if you do join.
Good luck

Don't get in shape to train, just train, see how it goes, and put the extra work in on the side. Conditioning, etc.

Go to class. Good instructors are open to talking, and if you tell them you're out of shape, they'll help you out as you go along. I remember there were days when I just felt totally beat and couldn't go very hard, and I had other things to do during class instead of rolling really hard.

A word of warning - your forearms will be really really tired from using your grip significantly more than you're normally used to (BJJ) and your shoulders will be really tired and sore from MT. Don't let that deter you, as it's a good feeling!

Suck it up, get to class, and learn!

Thanks to everyone who responded. My goal is a little of everything everyone mentioned. I think I'm going to tough it out and start out of shape.

Back