I can't get the stank out of my gis

Just use pine sol. It takes way less effort than freezing, sun drying, etc and is more effective.

You gotta wash your gi's everyday as you use them. I throw mine in the wash as I'm going in the house. No dirty gi's inside the house for me, ever. If you wait a day so you can have a fuller load, it's inevitable, you'll get stank on your gi's.

I cant imagine not washing my gi right away. I just picture the bacteria growing

Its shitty for your team too. Do everyone a favor, wash your gis daily as soon as you can

Several people have said this. Won't this weaken the gi material?

Yeah. But not significantly, unless you're bleaching it every time.

When I was first starting, I was so disgusted with how much sweat my gi soaked in that I'd bleach it pretty much constantly. (I only had one gi, so I'd hand wash and dry it 5X a week, and probably bleached it about every 3-5 washes, and with way more bleach than necessary) Thing still lasted for two years.

Yeah. But not significantly, unless you're bleaching it every time.

When I was first starting, I was so disgusted with how much sweat my gi soaked in that I'd bleach it pretty much constantly. (I only had one gi, so I'd hand wash and dry it 5X a week, and probably bleached it about every 3-5 washes, and with way more bleach than necessary) Thing still lasted for two years.

How much bleach is a good amount? Do you just put it in the wash or soak it in a bucket or something? I don't have stink, but I need to whiten up an older white gi.

Several people have said this. Won't this weaken the gi material?

Yeah, but not significantly, unless you chose a really cheap gi.

I bleach mine weekly, and I haven't notice any issues whatsoever.

How much bleach is a good amount? Do you just put it in the wash or soak it in a bucket or something? I don't have stink, but I need to whiten up an older white gi.

I don't find standard liquid bleach as good at whitening as the newer Oxyclean type powders. You can soak or use it in the machine but soaking is usually more effective. Just follow the instructions. That stuff is magic for removing blood stains too.

I use Oxiclean for that new gi shine too.

Bleach is better for actually killing microbes, though.

Bleach is better for actually killing microbes, though.

Definitely. And as you say, the idea that it destroys the cloth is very overplayed in my experience. Same with the idea that softener shortens the life of the gi. I've got a gi over 3 years old that I've been bleaching and softening and it's still got life in it.

turning things inside-out helps quite a bit. don't be afraid to spot-treat the funky spots.

Soak with baking soda. Since you've been using vinegar it will bubble like hell the first few times. Keep changing it out until it doesn't bubble. Then use baking soda from then on. Also, maybe hang them in a closet with an open container of baking soda.

tumble drying is less harsh on your shit if you throw towels in there

i've had good results with both baking soda+vinegar and/or PineSol. freezing should also kill whatever is hanging out.

Back