I can't get the stank out of my gis

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
My gis are slowly developing a perma-stank. I'll wash them with vinegar, as I've always done, but there's still a faint whiff of BO when I pull them out of the washer and put them in the dryer. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but I get to class and after about 5-10 minutes of sweating that odour magically turns into something as though I never washed it at all.

The only time recently I was able to make a real dent in the smell I had to wash them twice in a row with a buttload of vinegar, but it's not practical for me to put them through two washes at a time because that's three hours of my day gone.

I don't know what's causing it, but I have a few guesses. I live in a really humid place and over the summer they never really dry after class so there's a period of a few days where they fester on my pull-up bar instead of drying. Also they're soaking up a LOT more sweat between washes. I used to train for an hour most days, two hours on Wed and Sat. Now I train for two hours Mon/Wed/Sat and three hours Tues and Thurs. So, even though I wash them between wearings, they're soaking up 50-300% more sweat than they used to between washings.

Any tips? It's getting bad.

I can't offer much help since I only train in the gi for two hours a week and I have a couple in rotation.

But have you looked at any antibacterial laundry detergents? I wonder if much like our arm pits, the actual smell is the by product of live bacteria?

Here's one I found on a quick search. 2toms Antibacterial laundry detergent for sports gear.

https://www.uniquefit1.com/products...9nnsppw1sL6vveQzn4vReO5aOFMnJWL7lwaAlKJ8P8HAQ

And Defense Soap makes a laundry detergent.
http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Soap-...8&qid=1439906805&sr=8-8&keywords=defense+soap

IMO vinegar is very overrated. It's main action is through its relatively weak acidic nature. There are far better choices for killing bacteria including general disinfectants, sports laundry washes and even the odd bleaching.

Also the washing temperature makes a big difference. I usually wash mine cold to avoid the shrinkage that never really seems to end. But every 3 or 4 washes I find they need a hot wash or they can develop a smell.

But if they don't dry quickly then that's a big problem because most washing methods are not 100% against bacteria and so if they then go on to spend hours being damp then they can develop that rank, wet-dog odour. I find they really need to dry in under a day or they are prone to that. So hang em outside or use a dryer.

JosephDredd, what part of the country do you live in?

I read that as 'I can't get the skank out of my gis', was somewhat disappointed upon opening the thread.

Does your washer have a "sanitize" setting? That's what works for me. Also, put some white vinegar in with your wash, and soak, which helps.

I've heard freezing it works as well.

Maybe you are the stank.

Sun drying helps a bit, if you can do it.

My gi has shrank all its going to shrink so I usually wash my gis in hot water with color safe bleach. I wash rash guards, color gis and anything else this way for well over a year with no issues.

You may be suffering from phantom smells too OP....it's a thing.

Bleach and sun drying. If you can't hang then outside you need to get a box fan blasting on them. If don't dry immediately you'll get that musty smell

I don't know what's causing it, but I have a few guesses. I live in a really humid place and over the summer they never really dry after class so there's a period of a few days where they fester on my pull-up bar instead of drying.

Any tips? It's getting bad.

Try putting a fan near your pull up bar (i'm assuming you hang them up after washing them?) to get some circulation going.

Several people have said this. Won't this weaken the gi material?

They say that about drying gis too

Have a gi that ive dried on high heat for 4 years. Looks like new

Gis arent meant to last forever. Might as well try bleach. Otherwise you may need to get rid of it. No one should have to roll with you

I heard pine sol works too. Probably a less harmful option worth trying before bleach

Back