Media I cant believe they let old man BJ fight Nick Diaz

his body betrayed him. he was too small too fat too old to fight
however, his mind wanted to fight.

If I recall BJ Penn was holding his own in that fight and trading in the pocket with Diaz the whole time. Diaz just had so much volume and cardio and eventually BJ couldn't keep up with the pace.

Well, I wouldn't overstate the case- that was past the time we were believing in him for the most part (except PB of course); he had slipped by then. Hughes was a shadow of his former self by the time BJ got that KO; it was a past-your-prime matchup.

Well, if he was a shadow of his former self, we only discovered it by seeing him get KO'd. What indication do you see in the fights leading up to the Penn rubber match that Hughes had declined?

Who's PB?

Didnt he fight Rory right after this fight?

Who's PB?

That is a great question, felmmando. How do you describe somebody who is at the same time an old friend, and was a foe, and was a complicated part of my past, and maybe, just maybe a part of my future?

That is a great question, felmmando. How do you describe somebody who is at the same time an old friend, and was a foe, and was a complicated part of my past, and maybe, just maybe a part of my future?

I guess I'll have to await your autobiography or Levi_'s.

bj-diaz-4.gif

Rewatching this has me cracking up

34ziypj.gif

Beej held his own for a little bit though

LXNI.gif

you do understand that was like 8 years ago.

That was also the first time we'd seen BJ truly beaten up in the stand up, only Jens had come close before that

This was number 1 contender fight for George?
Sort of, Nick was supposed to fight Georges, then Dana threw a hissy fit because Nick didn't turn up to the beauty pageant, then Condit took Nick's place, then GSP got injured, then I think Carlos got injured or decided to wait for the title shot, so Nick ended up fighting BJ on the card he was supposed to fight GSP on that GSP was also supposed to fight Condit on

I think

I remember Nick shoulder shoving BJ at the end of 1 round and yelling at BJ's boxing coach Jason Parillo after he was announced the winner. Crazy that it was Nick's biggest UFC win to date. Shame the Lawler fight never materialised.

BJ was a legitimate elite win at that point. He took Fitch to a draw that same year, when Fitch was on a 5 fight win streak and I believe ranked at #2.

Nick was probably the last guy to beat BJ and have it mean a whole lot though.
The Fitch fight was a weird one lol
Like Penn's only career fight that he actually had a gameplan and it was so surprising that it worked despite playing into his opponent's strengths. Was like if Jake Shields put a striking clinic on Robbie Lawler.

This was right after the Fitch fight right? That was bjs last great performance. Took a Fitch down who had 20 pounds on him and handily schooled him for 2 rounds
Me a few people at the bar was expecting a GSP type decision win for Fitch but a little bit of a slower pace. Then Bj comes out with underrated wrestling offense and quickly takes Fitchs back, if Bj had cardio I think he would have that fight. That was by far the last time he looked good and I never understood why he was always content on boxing after that fight when it clearly shows he could dominate a lot of people on the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back