I can always do better v.3

Modern Warrior1

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TL:DR:
1. Hurt back pretty bad.
2. told may never run hard again.
3. getting other opinions in future.
4. can do chinups, walking, dips, crunches, and some band work.
5. trying to stay sane.

So, some of you may remember my old log on here, or the log I used to keep on Arlec's website. I used to update it quite regularly up until the beginning of school this year. I just got so busy, and was so tired at the end of the day, that I didn't want to have to write down my training anymore. So, I didn't, hehe.:redface:

But, as God would have it, I got injured at the beginning of December of 2012. During a hard BJJ session, I went to roll a heavier guy over me, and felt a "twisting motion of my spine." I kept going, and by the end of the session, my back was on fire. I competed that weekend, then took a week off. I then continued about my usual schedule. Well, the pain came back, along with nice amounts of stiffness. Being the young, invincible man that I am, I just ignored it. Until I came home one day and my left hip was much higher than the other hip. I took the next week and a half off, and my hip came down somewhat, but not all the way. So, we went and got it checked out by a orthopedist.

The orthopedist diagnosed it as a spondylolisthesis of the L5 vetebrae over the S1 joint. Basically, my spine broke at the pars joint, and then slipped out of line with the sacrum. He told me to take 2 weeks off and then not max out on any lifts, and try and always prevent hyperextension of my back.

Some of the things he said just didn't make sense, so we got a second opinion from a friend of the family that is a well known physical therapist.

This is where things got bad. He told me that I had also torn some angel hair ligaments between vetebrae, and his diagnoses was quite gloomy. He said I may never run hard again, would never lift again, and would never do BJJ again.

I was obviously shattered. After I got things together the next day, I decided to get another opinion, this time from a pediatric neurosurgeon. that appointment is scheduled for the 30th of January. My birthday.

As of right now, I am allowed to do Chinups, Dips, crunches( not situps), these actually help the healing process. I am also doing a stretch/ position that is supposed to help push the joint back into place. I can also walk, and do band work.

This log will be my journey through the next year or so, while I figure all of this out, and do my best to get back to the quality of life I had before hand.

I hope it can help others as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Program(currently):

M,T,W,TH,F,Sat:
Recon Ron for Chinups and Dips.
5 sets of crunches, starting the reps at 50/set. Upping the reps by 10 per set each week.
Hill walking: at least 15 minutes each day.

Some band pull aparts to help keep my posture strong.

Sun:
Just hill walking.

Saturday, January 12th, 2012:

Recon Ron(RR) chins:

RR for dips:

Crunches:
5*50

Some Band Pull aparts

Workout #2:

Stair Walking: 15 minutes.
Close Grip Pullups: 1*10 1*5 1*5
A couple dips.
Toweled pullup bar hang: 1* 1min

My metabolism is actually going up, and I feel physically better, now that my training has slowed down a little. I think I was fully over trained these last two months. Feeling good right now though.

Good luck in recovery man. Sucks to get injured, i remember how dedicated you were / are. Keep it up man

Oh man I remember your training log. I'll be rooting for you.

Welcome back MW. Here's to a full recovery. Hey, if there's a silver lining in everything you've been through, maybe this gives some of the rest of us a chance to catch you in the conditioning challenges.

Welcome back MW. Here's to a full recovery. Hey, if there's a silver lining in everything you've been through, maybe this gives some of the rest of us a chance to catch you in the conditioning challenges.

Lol, asshole :) ;)

Monday, 1/14/13:

Workout #1
Recon Ron for chins and dips:

Crunches:
5*60. the sets were kind of spread throughout the workout. My abs are already getting much stronger.

Not to bad at all. I've started bringing my legs slightly in front of me on my dips especially, to make sure that I don't hyper extend my back. The last rep of each set is JUST hard enough to make my legs want to move.

Workout #2:

Long and Steep as Shit Hill Walks: 20 back and forth trips.

On these I try and take short, light steps on the down trip, and take long steps on my toes when I'm coming up. They work pretty well. Oddly enough, their a little hard on the knees. I think it's the lack of speed.

Harder chin up work:

Band Assisted Variations( green and blue band together):
Negatives: about 10
Jump assisted 1 arm chinups, negative on the way down: 10 reps.
Balance assisted 1 arm chinups: 3 each side. Using my off hand to hold onto a vertical pole on the power rack as I perform the 1 arm chinup.

These went really well. The two bands are just old person exercise bands, so they don't give to much assist. Looking good.

Food:

Breakfast:
1/2 cup oatmeal with brown sugar and milk
4 eggs with cheese and spinach
protein shake.

Hamburger with cheese and shrooms, no bread
Coleslaw
Corn
Fruit smoothie

Last edited:
tuesday 1/15/13:

Workout 1:
RR for chins and dips:

Crunches: 5*50

Workout 2: some regular dips, and Russian dip experimentation

Band weighted pushups: 10,5,10 with blue and green band.

Food:

Protein shake
4 eggs with spinach
Ground beef and cheese

Homemade bread
Chicken
Mashed rutabaga
Green beans.

The lesson here is never be active again.

G'luck, Mw.

Wednesday 1/16/13:

Workout #1:
RR for chins and dips:

Crunches: 3*60

Some shoulder dislocations

Workout #2:
Power rack stabilized 1 arm chinups: 2*3

1 arm Negatives: 2*3

Crunches: 2*60

Some hollow body parallel bar front levers, not the whole lever, just as far back as I can go.

Food:

Roast beef sandwich on homemade bread
Greek yogurt
Protein shake
Pb&chocolate

Salmon cakes
Veggies
Homemade bread
A little homemade Mac&cheese

Last edited:
Rough break man. While it's shitty it happened to you while you're young, it also means you have the best chance at recovering.

Best of luck in your recovery, I'll be rooting for you.

Rough break man. While it's shitty it happened to you while you're young, it also means you have the best chance at recovering.

Best of luck in your recovery, I'll be rooting for you.

The experience has had its positives and negatives. Just taking it a day at a time, and leaving the future to God's Will.

Thursday 1/17/13:

Workout #1:

RR for chins and dips:

Crunches 5*60

Workout 2:

Banded pushups and regular pushups

Food:
2 salmo cakes
Piece of chicken
2 pieces of Swiss cheese
Small bit of homemade Mac & cheese
Veggies
Protein shake
Tiny bit of whipped cream

2 pieces of chicken parmesan
Spaghetti squash
Salad

Greek yogurt with a little whipped cream.

Last edited:
I had a horrible headache yesterday. I took a 2 hour nap in the middle of the day, then went to bed early and slept in late. I'm still a little tired.

Today's stuff.

Friday 1/18/13:

Workout #1

RR for chins and dips:

Crunches: 5*60 w/ a 1 minute iso hold added to the last set.

Workout #2

Hill Walks: 20 round trips at a fast pace. ( meant to time these, then forgot to look at the end timer. less than 30 mins for sure)

[size=+2] First assisted 1 arm Chin Up[/size]

1 rep on the right side. Slow as hell, but legit. assisted, of course.

assisted 1 arm chinup attempts: 2 left side, 1 more right side. nothing successful. I was burned after the first one.

Power Rack stabilized 1 arm chinups: 2*3 each side

Assisted negatives: 5 each side.

Hollow body parallel bar front lever swings.

food:

homemade bread(lots)
4 eggs with spinach(lots) and cheese
protein shake
grapes and blackberries

cottage cheese cup

Cheese and dried apricots

Fish, noodles, broccoli and Alfredo sauce.

Last edited:
Saturday 1/19/13:

Workout 1:

RR for chins and dips:

Crunches 5*60

Workout 2: went to the park. Did some pole climbing, russian dips, parallel bar walks, various chin variations, mini rock wall climbing, and monkey bars.

Food:
4 eggs with spinach and cheese
Noodles with Alfredo
Black berries
Protein shake

Pizza, wings, and breadsticks. Finished off with a cookie.

Back