I am not religious but I pray to god..

13 others

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Kind of weird.

When I was a kid my parents took me to church, and my mom prayed with me before bed because they were religious, Christians. I would always say a few prayers before bed, until the age of about 16-18 I would guess. After this I embarked on a more spiritual path, more or less. Still finding my way. I am not religious at all and do not believe in god.

However, because of my nightly prayers as a child I still find myself praying to "god" when I am trying to turn things around in my life or something goes wrong that I wish to change to a positive outcome. Just last night I received some terrible personal news and I found myself praying to god to help me out with it. The reasons I think I do this are because; I prayed so much as a kid, so it is a habit and because as a "spiritual person", "atheist" (whatever you want to call it), if I am not praying to god; then who do I speak to when things like this happen? I feel like there is a higher being out there, not a person, not Jesus, not whoever. Perhaps an energy or something. Who really fucking knows.

God dammit.

I s
feel like their is a higher being out there, not a person, not Jesus, not whoever. Perhaps an energy or something. Who really fucking knows.

God dammit
Pretty much how I feel.

Glad to hear we're in the same boat. Not happy to see that you quoted my post before I fixed my spelling of "their" to "there" lol
It's the internet and a forum - grammar and spelling police can fuck right off.

I think that if it's merely an "energy" that's not conscious or intelligent, then prayers to it are probably pretty useless. For me, the concept of God is only meaningful if he/she/it is something that is actually intelligently involved in the world.

I hear your prayers

& fap to them. the next time it rains, embrace every drop. & accept you have been

faptized.

Me too TS. There is nothing wrong with it. I know its sounds strange but religion does not have monopoly on God and higher powers.

Sign of a weak mind.

Give me a gun and would make you pray. ;)

Bitch

The Dao that can be told is not the eternal Dao.
The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth.
The named is the mother of ten thousand things.
Ever desireless, one can see the mystery.
Ever desiring, one can see the manifestations.
These two spring from the same source but differ in name;
this appears as darkness.
Darkness within darkness.
The gate to all mystery.

- Dao De Ching, chapter 1.

Kind of weird.

When I was a kid my parents took me to church, and my mom prayed with me before bed because they were religious, Christians. I would always say a few prayers before bed, until the age of about 16-18 I would guess. After this I embarked on a more spiritual path, more or less. Still finding my way. I am not religious at all and do not believe in god.

However, because of my nightly prayers as a child I still find myself praying to "god" when I am trying to turn things around in my life or something goes wrong that I wish to change to a positive outcome. Just last night I received some terrible personal news and I found myself praying to god to help me out with it. The reasons I think I do this are because; I prayed so much as a kid, so it is a habit and because as a "spiritual person", "atheist" (whatever you want to call it), if I am not praying to god; then who do I speak to when things like this happen? I feel like there is a higher being out there, not a person, not Jesus, not whoever. Perhaps an energy or something. Who really fucking knows.

God dammit.
as non superstitious, non religious guy, i don't ever fuck with my chopsticks and rice
rice-and-chop-sticks.jpg

would never do that, why? fucking cultural training, even as a newly identified White Guy, i'll still rest my chopsticks the proper way, to give respect to my former Asian life.

I'm an atheist but every now and then, especially when I've been having a run of bad luck or lousy moods, I sort of make a mental connection to things I'm thankful for, the things that are going right, and unreasonably I attribute it to some Cosmic good will.

As someone who's loved astronomy all his life, the night sky is the closest thing to spirituality I get.

And often I think that connection is more genuine than a lot of the things religious people report.

TS, God won't listen to shit you have to say unless your Sherdog like count is at least 3x your post count. Sorry, man

I pray every night that one day maybe you will stop making terrible threads.

{<diva}

I think that humans are superstitious as an evolutionary mechanism.

It used to keep us alive in the jungle. There is a good TED talk about Lies, and one of the topics was superstition in people and the urge to believe the lies we hear.

But if it gives you hope, and is useful in some kind of way, then it's a good thing.

edit: prayer is also kind of therapeutic, to vent your grievances and put it out there, even if there is no one there to hear you. It's like self reflection.

In the series Young Pope, the main character
doesn't believe in god, however he prays regularly and performs miracles through prayer, even though he is not sure there is a higher power

I'm an atheist but every now and then, especially when I've been having a run of bad luck or lousy moods, I sort of make a mental connection to things I'm thankful for, the things that are going right, and unreasonably I attribute it to some Cosmic good will.

As someone who's loved astronomy all his life, the night sky is the closest thing to spirituality I get.

And often I think that connection is more genuine than a lot of the things religious people report.

I'm an apatheist, and sadly when I have a run of really bad luck or lousy moods, I feel a deep emptiness inside. This isn't a joke, I am legitimately envious of those who can find solace in a higher power.

I am not religious at all and do not believe in god.

However, because of my nightly prayers as a child I still find myself praying to "god" when I am trying to turn things around in my life or something goes wrong that I wish to change to a positive outcome.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Back