• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I’d like to see Chael Sonnen replace Jon Anik

hell no , his high pitched whine is enough to set off the dogs

Anik bugs the shit out of me with his weird facts/stats....

Example: pointing out that Meisha Tate was the only active fighter to be actively breast feeding . . .

Or the 2 guys having custody battles sir.

I should watch more boxing but the De La Hoya-Vargas fight and commentary is amazing.
*after Vargas is knocked down in the 11th*
Jim Lampley: Vargas jumps up off the canvas! "Let me at him!" There's so much desire in Fernando Vargas!!
*Oscar starts unloading*
Jim Lampley: But a better fighter is beating him now!!!!

It definitely doesn't translate over text but what a sequence.
I'm going to watch that fight tomorrow because of this post. I tend to watch classic fights here and there anyways, so I'll do that tomorrow.

Chael sounds like his tongue grew 6 times bigger and is slurring, not to mention his shrill tone

I think he can do the job, do it well, and in time do it better than Anik, plus Chael is a fighter the UFC wants fighter commentators. That, or please bring back this guy <Goldie11>
I like Chael but I would hate this. I think Anik is one of the best at what he does - actually he is the best play by play guy I can remember in MMA and Chael would make a HORRIBLE play by play guy so I don't even see why.

Not bad as an occasional commentator, but Chael on a regular basis would get annoying as fuck..

I’m throwing in the towel and canceling my ESPN+ account if this occurs.

Fuck no. Chael's voice is annoying. Seems like a little girl complaining lol

Chael could never be trusted not to go off-script - he'd make a fun colour commentator though.

Being anchor is pretty similar to a late night poker tv host - you constantly have to hit certain markers for advertising, and constantly have someone in your earpiece screaming links at you, whilst keeping track of the action... Takes years to get used to. Its a pro job.

Yeah, this whole thread is a fundamental misunderstanding of how an anouncer team works.

At a bare minimum you need one professional broadcaster to manage time/script and plug the sponsors. Likely a sports journalist to TV anchor. That guy often does the play by play.

Chael is much more the expert/analyst/color commentator who would break down stuff the audience doesn't see or understand and maybe make the commentary fun. He'd replace DC, Rogan, Bisping.

Bring back Dan Hardy and replace DC.

Sonnen - A solid dependable presenter vs Anik - a self serving cheating lying toerag :confused:

Chael is an entertaining clown but his MMA analyst work is clickbait in human form, he'll always give the take that gets the most reactions out of people regardless of accuracy. Didn't ESPN drop him before that hotel incident even happened? I don't think they were happy with his work.
That can't be it. ESPN's whole schtick is to scream hyperboles and overhyped stories to get reactions out of people. It's why Stephen A Smith is a millionaire lol

I rewatch that about once a year lol
I just finished rewatching it before the ceremonial weigh-ins. Great fight and I forgot how important this fight was for De La Hoya. It was slick seeing De La Hoya adjust his game throughout the fight until he was able to find the finish. Commentators were super excited during the finishing sequence; you can hear how he was losing his voice from screaming so much lol.

Back