hypothetical Garcia v Pacquiao

Prime Pac dominates Garcia. I'll need to see how he looks against Rios to answer how the current version would do.

Lol at Pac getting KO'd in every hypothetical fight around here.

I just think Garcia is a pretty complete fighter and I think Pac is fading.

What impressed me the most about Garcia against Mathysse was his jab. His jab was tight and powerful and Mathysse had a hard time getting around it. I never thought Garcia had a good jab.

I think he has too many tools for a faded Pacquiao. A fighter with a wild aggressive style is a good fight for Garcia. You can't be careless against a guy like Garcia.

You might be right Seano. But Pac isn't as wild as most people make him out to be. Certainly not as much as his featherweight days, and even then it was easier said than done to take advantage of Pacs lack of technical prowess. I see it going a lot like the Pac/Cotto fight. Garcia starts strong but Pac takes over by sharp counters and quick combinations. I don't see Garcia lasting the distance but I was wrong about him before.

I think he was wild against Marquez and it got him knocked out.

Marquez is one of the most skilled counter punchers in history. He'll make just about anybody look wild. But I get your point. We'll see in November.

Garcia has shown that he has troubles with hand speed (Khan). If Pacquiao fights smart he could win easily. But I can also see Garcia giving him troubles with his counter punching if Pacquiao starts getting over aggressive.

Either way if the fight happened I would take Pacquiao to win.

Garcia wrecked Khan.

Garcia wrecked Khan.

when khan stupidly decided to stand and exchange punches with him .

khan could've done better in that fight if he had some IQ

Last edited:
And Pac would do the same.

pacquiao can use his head and stick to a gameplan sometimes . the second marquez fight is a good example ( the toughest pac fight according to marquez himself )

I think a lot of people are underestimating Pac because of the recent KO
I'd take him over Garcia

I'd also be interested in seeing how a Garcia/JMM fight would go down

The Pacquiao of a couple of years ago smokes Garcia. Despite his skill at countering and underrated defence Garcia is a bit too flat footed and a bit too slow. Pac gets in and lands shots before Garcia can counter them and if Garcia starts to come forward Pac likely walks him onto something.

These days, it's harder to tell. There's only been one bout since Margarito where Pac has really looked good... and in that bout he ended up knocked out in six rounds. He was underwhelming against Mosely and Bradley (whoever you thought won) and in many of the rounds only really came to life in the last 30 seconds. The concern if he boxes that way against Garcia is that it gives Garcia 150 seconds at the start of each round to start working out his range and timing... and it also means that if Pac doesn't convincingly win those last 30 seconds he's likely to lose the round.

In his most recent bout against Marquez Pac looked a lot better than he has previously; the intensity and fire that was lacking from the earlier bouts had returned. The cost of this though was that he became wild... arguably wilder than he has been since moving up from 122lbs... and that meant he walked onto shots. And while Marquez might want to be the one boxer you don't want to walk onto shots from, Garcia can't be far behind. The question then becomes can Pac hurt or stop Garcia before Garcia detonates something on his chin... and that's a harder question to answer.

I don't think the question will be answered in his next bout. Rios is tailor made for Pac, a crude pressure fighter who simply walks forward (not particularly quickly) and tries to draw everyone into a brawl. He's a smaller version of Margarito and, truth be told, Rios hasn't actually looked particularly good in a bout (however exciting the Alvarado bouts were) since Urbano Antillon. Pac... even if not at his best... should be able to shred Rios coming in and then get out for there before Rios can get any of his shots off. The style matchup is just so much in Pac's favour that if he even struggles it's a really bad sign.

I'd still pick Pac over Garcia. He's still quick, he still hits fairly hard, he can still rip opponents apart and I think Garcia is just that little bit too slow to handle him. But it's not the one-sided beating it would have been three or four years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back